Med Journal articles to convince doc for pain meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Do you know of any decent articles that might help convince my G.P. to prescribe me the bigger guns of pain meds such as oxycontin or morphine?

I've read on the internet that these meds ARE indicated for moderate to slightly severe pain and that aren't necessarily addictive when being used to treat pain.

But, I think a medical journal article would hold more weight for him.

I think he has very little experience with prescribing strong pain meds for significant back/neck pain.

since I am reacting to Tyl3 I would like to try oxycontin or morphine.

Thanks for any responses.

J.
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Using your search engine, and type in Pain Managment, you can find site's there with Letter's to Physican's from other Physican's.

I like the partners aganist pain, I'm sure there are some other's, but I can't give out the URLS, but that's how I got the information myself, and youmight find something that is also of interest to you, that wasn't to me.

I would hesiate to change Med's without a Dr. really want you to, for one good reason. What are you going to Take, when you have to have , say surgery's? and you already are on a High Dose of Pain Med's?
    This is my Delima right now, because I need some Surgery on my neck, and if I take a higher dose than I am on now, before the Surgery, I will be in deep trouble.

I have found, that by combining my Soma's, with my Vicodin's, one 750, and also a Vistril, this keeps most of my Pain at bay. I can then get around, do house work, travel, when I can, I'm not cured, I'm not better off Physically than I was 3 years ago, when I was dx, but I have learned to Cope with what I have.

Another thing I have done, is get my med's rx'd for my Co-exisiting condition's, not for FMS. I avoid that name when possible, seems Dr'.s get a Far Away Look in their Eye's.
    So I take in information on my other condition's, that cause me Pain, because it is a Casading Effect when it comes to Pain.

Sometimes I just have to go to bed, cause then, if I don't move, it won't Hurt. That's what Movies are for.

good luck to you,
    kredca4/sharon
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

what kind of neck surg do u need?

j.
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

and Thanks for asking. They need to Fuse the C4/5/6 sections of my neck. I have had previous Surgery on the C7, but it is getting worse each year.

I have been able to put this Surgery off for 2 years, and I'm going to try to wait till after the Summer.
    Cause I won't be driving anymore, and that is another Tough Blow. But I can't Balme it on the FMS this time.

Hope you have Good Night, and get some Sleep, I know how hard it is when you Hurt to sleep. that's always been my Main Problem, Pain.
    Sincerely,
    Sharon