Med Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angelswife, Nov 19, 2010.

1. angelswife

angelswife New Member

I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia and my MD wants me to take imipramine for the pain. Has anyone had experience with it? I know it's an antidepressant but not much else and I'm a bit wary of starting it. Any input would be helpful---thanks!
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Are you depressed? I couldn't tolerate antidepressants I do know they have helped some with FM pain. I have CFIDS and now checking into lyme. Sorry I am of no help. Maybe someone that has taken it will give you some advice. Personally I won't unless I had to.

God Bless,
  3. luigi21

luigi21 Member

hiya not taken that particular one, although ive taken amitripyline and dothiepin both in the same class. when diagnosed with fibro they usually try the old antidepressants first as they've been around longer and have more indepth research on them. They use antidepressants to help with pain and insomnia (especially this old type) which accompanies fibro, and depression if needed. Antidepressants act on the brain similar to most other drugs they prescribe by dampening down the excited autonomic nervous system in patients which is one of the symptoms which causes all other symptoms and secondly to replace serotonin levels in the brain one of many chemicals that are reduced in fibro. All i can say is give it a go. Dry mouth tends to be a side effect to this type of med, and initially strange dreams, and a hungover affect the next day, but these tend to resolve themselves with time and you can always adjust the dosage to suit you. There are alot of choice for meds to treat fibro on the market, so if this doesnt suit go back and see you doctor, all the best!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have not heard of that one. It is not uncommon for some anti-depressants to be prescribed for Fibro even if you're not depressed.

Some people don't like that, some it helps. If you're depressed, it can be a benefit I guess.
    I don't know how it would be for pain. Usually they are prescribed for sleep issues, except for Cymbalta, which is rx'd for pain as well.

Did your Dr talk to you about your pain levels?

I'm sorry you were diagnosed w/Fibro. Lots of support is key, a good relationship with your Dr., as little stress as possible and listening to your body!

Nice to have you here!

5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Generally antidepressants that help the most with pain act on noradrenaline, alot of the older tricyclic AD's act on noradrenaline as well as serotonin. Impramine if i recall may have more of an effect on noradrenaline which could help with pain and energy. Tricyclics are suppose to have more side effects then newer ad's like ssri's and nsri, but thats not the case for everyone, some people prefer or get better effects from tricyclics, plus they are alot cheaper. The only way to know is trial and error. Tramal/tramadol a common pain killer also has alot of effect on noradrenaline and serotonin which alot of people dont realise, it also has narcotic pain relief effects as well. Personally i have found tramal very good and has some good energizing effects for me, so i cant take it late at night or i wont sleep, other side effects have been minimal for me unless on higher doses which i had to use for exacerbation of my lower back pain.

6. angelswife

angelswife New Member

Hi Janalynn! Yes, my MD did discuss pain levels with me. I didn't go for Lyrica, etc. because of the high price plus the "possible cancer" side effect. I have enough to handle without worrying about that as well.
    I am still getting used to all this. I have good and bad days but don't yet know what causes either. I've been doing a lot of reading to see what natural therapies are out there because I'd like to avoid heavy meds if I can. There sure is a lot to learn! I am trying to educate my husband too because he says if I don't think about it it won't bother me. I wish it was that easy!!---Most of my friends have been really supportive, though, and that helps a lot.
    It IS nice to finally have an answer, even if the answer raises more questions. At least now I know what I'm dealing with.