med questions lease help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by michele3322, Feb 12, 2007.

1. michele3322

michele3322 New Member

Hi all I'm having some problem with my pain meds thought someone could give me some ideas. I have been on almost everything for pain and not alot works or I have a bad reaction. I've been taking demeraol for a few months now and it only works so so. My Dr has now started me on time relese morpine along with paquiel. The morpine works really well for the first 4 hours then it makes me really sick,I cannot eat my head feels like it going to explode. I don't know why I can't seem to find something long lasting without makeing me feel so much worse. My last Dr visit was very short and she seemed to be in not a good mood. Does anyone else have problems with meds? Thanks
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

With morphine.I get very ill if I take it.

My Doctor has put me on Methadone.So far so good .I take 20mg 4 times a day .I mean by that 6 am - 11 am -4 pm and 9 pm .Taking it every 5 hours on time seems to be the trick for me.

I am also on nueontrin 600mg 3 times a day cymbalta 120mg at noon.

I take them also at the same times every day.Like I said seems to be the trick for me never miss my time and dose.

None of them get rid of all the pain but ill settle for no longer being bed ridden.I was in bed for 2 yrs never went out except doctors .

This sight was were I heard about methadone helping some members.So I asked my doctor if we could give it a try she agreed.

Were all different and need to find what works for us.Its a hard long road as I am sure you know.Good luck.

Sue
  3. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I'm sorry you are having a rough time finding meds that work for your pain but that don't cause you a bunch of side effects. I know that morphine will do that to some people... I, too, have been on just about everything there is for pain; fortunately, I don't get many side effects, BUT most meds don't work for pain for me, either.

Is it possible that the dose is a bit too high for you? Sometimes our bodies take some time to get used to a medication... Maybe the starting dose was too high? Not knowing what dose you are on, it's hard to tell...

Another pain med that you might want to ask your doc for is oxycontin. This is time-released as well. Methadone is another choice.

Unfortunately, finding the right medicine takes time for some people. It's just a matter of giving it a try and going from there. When you are trying a new med, I would recommend asking your doctor for a week's worth of the med. That way, you are not paying for a BIG prescription of something, then to find out it doesn't work for you.

Re: your doctor - do you usually have a good relationship with your doctor? Maybe this was just a bad day for her? If she's always like this - I'd really say to try to find a doctor that is more compassionate and will take the time to discuss the different meds, etc. Having a good doctor is one of the most important things in managing a chronic illness, in my opinion.

If you have any other questions regarding any of these medications, please feel free to ask. I know that every person is different, but I've been on all of these meds and am willing to help in any way that I can. I really hope you find something that works for you! Let us know... Take care, Tina
  4. michele3322

michele3322 New Member

Thanks ya'll the info make me not feel so defective!LOL. My Dr is great I think it was just a bad day.Today is just bad the weather here in texas is bad. I thought about the methadone because it seems to work for alot of people on here. But now would probely not be a good time to bring that up with it being in the news so much. I have heard so many on the news lately saying it is not a pain med and is not given out for pain. That hole thing just makes me really sad.