Mediation Approaching: Breach of (FM) Confidentiality

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i posted on 4/20/06 about my situation at work regarding how "FIBROMYALGIA" was added next to my name on a listing at work. basically for ALL to see.

well, since that post here i've filed w/the EEOC and the company came forward and offered mediation. i agreed. don't want to hire an atty if i don't have to. yet. if we don't find an agreeable resolution it continues on thru EEOC and i'd probably be wise to hire atty.

i've done lots of research about their violation and it's a serious one. the mediation date is 6/29. i'm not the least bit nervous cuz they've admitted to it but want them to PAY for violating my privacy. there's nothing they're denying...it's what i'll be asking for that will be the issue.

one thing i am going to do is hand out the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome brochure from ProHealth to their atty and whoever else attends. that's for a starter.

i plan to tell them how devasting it's been for me: all of this has wreaked havoc on me, including more fm flares and more fatigue than usual. it's really been awful. STRESS. i haven't worked there in a few weeks and don't want to (i'm per diem).

********SO, TO ALL MY FELLOW FRIENDS HERE I PLAN TO NOT ONLY FIND JUSTICE BUT SHALL SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT FM AS WELL AS EDUCATE THE RN (SHE IS ACTUALLY ALSO THE EXEC DIR!!) WHO DID THIS***********

I AM ALSO REQUESTING THAT THIS RN/EXEC DIRECTOR BE REQUIRED TO TAKE "SENSITIVY CLASSES" OR THE LIKE AS WELL.

any words of advice, support or questions would be wonderful from all of you out there. look up kimfibro, see posting of 4/20 and you'll see the ugliness of the situation.

I PLAN TO SPREAD THE WORD ON FM, EDUCATE ALL PRESENT ON FM, AND THINK OF EVERYTHING YOU AND I TOLERATE EVERY SINGLE DAY......INCLUDING IGNORANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

My "legal" disaster is in family court, but I have the same plan to educate as many people as I can while going through this nightmare.

I remember reading your original post, and I was APPALLED at the violation of your privacy!

Mine has also been violated by my future-ex, but nothing that he's done is against the law. That may be my next "mission"..LOL!

Good luck, and go get 'em!

- julie (is free!)

I may be changed by my circumstances, but I refuse to be reduced by them. - Maya Angelou
  3. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

What they did to you was terrible. I can't imagine the havoc it caused with your FM. Of course all this stress which was completely unnecessary took a physical and emotional toll. I am so sorry for you.

I hope you will keep us posted as to the outcome of this mediation. So happy you have gathered the strength to pursue this matter. Sometimes it is just easier to let something go but in this case they must see what they have done. They're in for an education

Good luck to you, kimfibro, I hope the outcome will be good for you. It sounds like it will.

Arlene
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I,to, am appalled at what was done to you. It violates so many legal and moral principles. I am ashamed that the Exec. Director is an RN as I am one too. She has violated her professional code of ethics and could be called on the carpet by the professional association.

Most of all, it is a real shame how much you have had to suffer both physically and emotionally over this. I can only imagine. You do have my support and admiration for the way you are handling this. Hopefully, a lot more people will know about FM and you will have obtained what you want in a settlement.

All the best
    Kathy.
  5. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

yikes, i've been there (for 5 years mind you!) in the family court system enough to know that you have LOTS to educate people on. am i right or what?????? i hope you fare well. my whole divorce case was a mess due to my "charming" ex!!

yes, i've wanted and found the strength to move forward on this breach of confidentiality. i couldn't be more certain that this is NOT NOT NOT NOT one of the issues that can be left by the wayside.

well, her code of ethics....yes. fell on her fanny on that one. tell me, this is THE foundation of nursing, right?! i just hope i remain this confident and unnerved about the upcoming date of mediation. i feel SO strongly about it all that i am a woman on an FM mission!
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

You want to really get appalled?

The judge in my custody case is a former RN, and she doesn't seem to "believe" in FM..

If you read my post about "Xyrem Details", it tells what happened at our last hearing.

I have a LOT of educating to do, but I'm hoping that when she's presented with the facts and research about this illness, her RN side will realize that a lot has been learned about FM since she was in the medical field.

- julie (is free!)

She could have laid in bed
    for hours
    givin' misery
    the power
    but she didn't have time.. - Terri Clark
  7. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

..is the biggest disaster I've EVER seen!

My first experience was last December, but the way things are going another five years is not out of the question.

I've got one of those "charming" guys too... :)

He wanted to go to mediation, but we couldn't even agree that he'd stop supporting his drug addict "friend" and her kids on OUR dime..LOL!

Don't think we would have gotten very far in mediation..

- julie (is free!)

You say I should stay with you
    that Jesus fogives you
    You pray I will
    but I won't
    The difference is
    Jesus loves you
    I don't. - Danielle Peck
  8. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i swear i believe mediation in divorce cases has the same odds of success as finding a pirate's booty buried in your front lawn! i bet it's workable w/a couple WITHOUT children, though.

by the way, loved the Maya Angelou quote earlier... :)
  9. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

bumping for more!
  10. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I actually know of a few people who were able to put aside their wants and do what was best for their kids, but they seem to be few and far between!

At some point, you both have to let go of the past and move on, doing what's best for everyone.

I don't hate him, just what he's done. That's the difference between us - he DOES hate me - and refusing to work this out like reasonable adults is just another way of "punishing" me for "ruining his life"..

You have to get over it and move on, or you'll NEVER be happy! I refuse to hate him - it's too strong of an emotion.

I prefer "apathy"... :)

- julie (is free!)

You can't live your life being a victim and hating what someone's done to you. It won't destroy them, it'll destroy you.

- Radney Foster
  11. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Unfortunately, there is little, if anything in the nursing curriculum about FM or CFS. I can understand an RN not knowing but I would hope for an open mind to learn but.....! No better than some Doctors, I guess! That does NOT excuse any ethical misjudgements.

Julie and Kimfibro, In time, it will likely be people like you who will have made a difference in how those of us with those diseases are treated. All the best.

Kathy.
    <[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  12. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

13. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

wishing you luck talk to you soon yer friend kim
  14. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

how goes things? today, i give myself a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. however, it's supposed to be very HOT today; our first REAL taste of summer....am not prepared mentally or physically.

how about you? does the heat absolutely drain anything and everything out of you?? ugh. don't mean to complain like this but summer steals 2-3 months from me and i dread the season all year round!

and to think for years it was my fave!! hope all is well... and thanks for the post.

kim

[ advertisement ]