Medic Alert Bracelet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Allerian, May 26, 2003.

1. Allerian

Allerian New Member

I was wondering how many of you wear a medic alert bracelet that says fibromyalgia on it?
  2. healing

healing New Member

never seen one.
  3. lagm31

lagm31 New Member

I had one made. On the Front I put Fibromyalgia and my Other Health problem...On the back I put Contact info..plus Med's I am on..Plus I keep a card in my purse with an updated list of my Med's on it with all my information on it. Hubby and Family thought it was a Good idea.. lagm
  4. QueenM

QueenM New Member

Hi Allerian,

I think the medic bracelet would be great but how many medical personnel will recognize FMS as a medical condition?? This past January I fell on the ice and my husband had to take me to the ER. The ER doc asked me if I had any medical problems. I said Fibromyalgia. He answered "yes, but any medical problems?" Duh. Recently I had to go to an Orthopedic surgeon for a Bakers Cyst. I was also having trouble with my shoulder. He asked me if I injured my shoulder. I said no, that I assumed the pain was from the fibromyalgia. He ignored that and continued to question me on being hurt or hit to cause my shoulder pain and the Bakers Cyst. Double duh. If the medical community does not recognize FMS; I don't think wearing a medic alert would do any good.
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

You should wear one if you take Neurontin, too.

Lane
  6. AC77

AC77 New Member

You wouldnt want to! It would not serve any purpose. Medic Braclets are for possible complications,,,,such as finding someone in a daze or passed out and they have a braclet that says 'diabetic' then we know why. Same with medications. One that says, MAO on it means there are certain meds this person can not be given if unconcious or that may be the reason they are unconcious.

It would kind of like having a bracelet that says: Depression or Chronic Pain or Hernia or any condition that doesnt require a pre-set of care or general life saving precautions and interventions. Meaning it wound not alter the care rendered in an emergency.

These bracelets in all honesty are often overlooked by many medics and sometimes doctors, especially in an emergeny...which is a shame but the truth. I have seen it happen and have done it myself by accident!
  7. AC77

AC77 New Member

If you have epilepsy definetly state that your conditions and Meds you take. This helps r/o a ton of causes in an emergency and will help medication management easier.

Wallet cards tend to be useless (but carry one anyway) becuase in most states, including mine, Medics are NOT allowed to go through peoples wallets and we dont anyway, for fear of liability! But the Police Officer might find it and give it to the EMT, if lucky. Sad and true. Best place to have these braclets are either 1) as a necklace or better yet as a braclet and never an anklet--as some people do!

Also, the VIAL OF LIFE is a sticker you place on your front door and freezer/refrig. and then you put a vial with gold foil around it with an UPDATED sheet Hx in your refrigrator, that includes: your doctor, his number and address, hospitalizations in the past and what they were for, Medications, Next of Kin and phone numbers to contact, Allergies to meds and medical conditions, also any living will you may have. Many community awareness programs give these vials to people and they are very helpful, if you have a home emergency or are too dazed to remember or are unconcious...such as having a seizure. Note in it, if you have ever had status epilepticus also along with they type of seizure disorder.
  8. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Because of near death allergies. Plus I have spinal cord injuries that say if in accident I need a MRI asap. Now the sad part in the year that I have been wearing it only one doc has ever looked at it. I pray that if I ever really needed it they will look. It can't hurt if you are on a lot of meds that can have a bad reaction with other meds. They call a number and it tells them what you are on and what doseage. Hope this helps. Aloha Ellie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2003]
  9. SheriAL

SheriAL New Member

need a medic alert bracelet

you and the person at medic alert will be able to figure out what is most important and how many words can be engraved on the bracelet..

I put caution with anethesia, the class of muscle relaxing drugs that are dangerous for cfs or cfids persons, and that i needed an antimedic for nausea..

Whatever would be life threatening as far as medicines adverse reaction, your seizures ..need to be on the bracelet..

They also keep whatever medicines you are taking and your 3 contacts for emergency on their computer and your doctors name and number..

They are very nice to talk to and helpful...It is a shame that medical personnel ignore the medic alert bracelet..as some say..I will say that my medic alert bracelet makes me feel better wearing it, and if it relieves you of fear and makes you feel safer, then you need it.. sheri in AL