Medicaid won't pay for son's seizure med !

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Crispangel66, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I am not sure what to do my son is on seizure drugs for seizures and the company decided to change up and make a genteric so medicaid has decided not to pay for the generic.

What do I do just let him start having more seizures?

This is crazy, I can't afford it but I don't want my son to suffer.

What would any of you suggest?

Thanks for your advice Pamela
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

MY SON HAS HAD LIKE ONE SCRIP HIS WHOLE LIFE AND THEY JUST TURNED DOWN AN ACNE MED FOR HIM AS THEY NO LONGER COVER THESE. I WENT TO A DIFFERENT PHARMACY AND SHE SAID THERE WAS A SIMILAR DRUG SHE KNEW MEDICAID WOULD COVER, AND SURE ENOUGH THEY DID. THING IS PRICE WAS REALLY NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENT EITHER-seems just as if the better drug was not cleared for medicaid, poor people don't require best treatment mentality.

I can tell you my dh takes trileptal for seizures and it works better than any others and also does not require blood work for levels. Your pharmacist may be able to point you in direction for a med that is almost the same but covered.

Good luck. Yet another illustration of how the rights of the poor or needy are being eroded.

Love Anne
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

and explain. There must be a med that medicaid will provide. If the prescription says "generic replacementok" then the pharmacists can legally substitute but if the generic sub. box isnt checked then they cant do anything without a new scrip.

Some doce prefer certain meds over others but when the choice is generic or nothing then you have to let the doc know that when he writes the scrip.

4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Medicaid keeps changing what meds people can have, it drives my pharmasist nuts! But he is my hero! He fight the insurance companies, and if I need a med I can't get, he'll make the calls for me, to my doc or insurance so I won't have to do a thing! He even tip the doctors on how toget away with prescribing some stuff, I don't know how he does it!