MEDICAL ASSISTANCE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lsmith5160, Sep 16, 2006.

1. lsmith5160

lsmith5160 New Member

I have been suffering from arthritis and fibromyalgia and it is getting progressivly worse. I lost the job I had for 15 years 2 years ago due to a company restructuring, and have not been able to find anything that I can physically manage since then.

Since my husband has not worked in about 10 years, I was the sole support for the two of use. Subsequently, we lost our home, car, used all my retirement, and I am currently living with my daughter, being there to help her with her daughter while she works full time and goes to school at night.

My question is this, what suggestions can you give me to get financial and medical help in the state of georgia? My daughter works for a doctors office and they have been providing me with medications, but most of the ones I use are not available to them anymore. I simply can't keep going on with no income at all. It's not fair to my daughter either.

Can anyone help?
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

I am so sorry you are in such a terrible situation. You have lost so much to this terrible illness, fm.

Did you apply for soc. sec. disability? Do a search here to learn more, and then check out socsec.gov.

Can you call them? 1-800-772-1213 and tell them your situation...they can enter your application by phone for SSI and SSDI, all at the same time. Depending on your circumstances and need for meds, they can approve you for supplemental income and medicaid very quickly.

Maybe you have a soc. sec. office near you that you can go to personally? Your story is so serious, maybe that would be even quicker to get emergency benefits, especially medicines you need.

I know a lot of our southern states don't have good benefits, but surely you have a situation that calls for help. Do you know of a church that could help you? The Red Cross can give out emergency funds too, especially for meds, I think.

I hope you find a way out of this place and get the help you need. Please do try and let us know how you are.

We care.
    findmind

Edited to correct phone number!

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

If you go onto the NFA...NAtional Fibromyalgia Association's website they have a link for financial help for medical stuff.

Hopefully this wont get taken out, as you are in such need hun.

http://www.fmaware.org/fmOnlineNewsletter/2006/vol6/no9/article_easing.htm

I hope you can find they help you need. We are here for you.

Love and Hugs,
    Stephanie

4. lsmith5160

lsmith5160 New Member

Thanks so much for your assistance.
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Keep me updated if any of those resources work out for you.

Love,
    Stephanie
  6. lsmith5160

lsmith5160 New Member

Thanks Stephanie, I will. I hate to ask for assistance, but it looks like I'm going to have to do something. My doctor sent a message by my daughter (who is office manager there) that she thinks I should go to SS office and apply for disability, but apparently it is very difficult to get. Thanks for your concern. Do you have fibromyalgia?
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am so sorry for what you are going though.

I had to apply for disability at the age of 20 because my condtions got so bad. Now I am off of it, and work.

Yes, I do have Fibro, slong with CFS, RLS, MPS, severe anxiety and Tendonitis. I was dx'd at 20, but had it since I was 17. I am now 25.

Just a tip, if you are also suffering from any mental conditions, it will be alot easier to get disability. I applied for it with depression, anxiety, along with the Fibro and other conditions. After the meeting with their psych. I was awarded the disability.

I hope this helps you, and I hope you can find the help you need. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
  8. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

A Few Financial Planning Questions for People with Fibromyalgia

By Kate Jones

Everyone struggles with financial planning—just look at all the books and magazines published on the topic. For those of us with fibromyalgia, or any chronic illness, making decisions about finances can seem overwhelming. Here are ten questions to help you get started:

1. Is ‘fibro-fog’ affecting your ability to make financial decisions?

Making major decisions requires a clear head, yet we often forget that minor decisions can have a profound impact on our financial health. If you suffer from ‘fibro-fog,’ you may not even realize that you forgot to pay a bill or are making subtraction errors in your checkbook. Trying to analyze your health insurance options or other more complex tasks may be impossible. If you are having trouble with day-to-day financial tasks, ask a family member or friend to help out.

2. Are you compromising your health because you cannot afford to visit your doctor?

Going to the doctor is expensive, but the long-term cost of not going will be greater. You will miss symptom and medication monitoring, possible new treatment options, and an objective look at your health. Ask the office manager about payment options. Another alternative is to participate in a research study as a way of getting medical care. (You can find studies at http://www.fmaware.org/clinicaltrials.htm and www.clinicaltrials.gov.)

3. Are you compromising your health because you cannot afford prescription medication?
    Discuss alternatives with your doctor. Is the benefit from a newer drug worth the added cost? Are sample packs available so you can try a new drug before purchasing a month’s supply? Is a generic available? Some drug manufacturers have programs to assist people who cannot afford their medications; check with your pharmacist.

4. Do you have, or can you get, affordable health insurance?
    Private health insurance is prohibitively expensive; last year I was given a quote of $2200.00 per month for minimal coverage! Affordability is the key here. Can you get insurance through your employer? Do you have a spouse or domestic partner whose employer offers health insurance for family members? Online, visit Kiplinger Personal Finance’s article, “Your Own Health Insurance” for advice on purchasing private insurance. http://www.kiplinger.com

5. Are you taking good care of yourself physically and emotionally?

Planning for wellness, not just illness, has benefits far beyond the physical. Medical bills are one of the leading causes for personal bankruptcy, so doing what you can to stay healthy only makes sense. Walking, for example, is a free activity which lessens the chances that you will develop diabetes or arthritis—thus improving your health and saving you health care costs, lost days of work, and so forth.

6. Is there someone you trust to discuss financial plans with?

Certified financial planners can do this, but a trusted family member may be the first person you want to talk to. Be honest, and don’t forget that fibro-fog may be affecting you (see number 1 above).

7. Are you planning for the future?

If you are working, are you contributing to a 401-K or other plan? Have you considered the pros and cons of long-term care insurance? The federal government has publications on these topics available online and in print form, as do other organizations such as Consumer @ction and AARP. (See http://www.consumerreports.org/ , and http://www.consumer-action.org)

8. Are you spending more than you can afford?

We’re addicted to credit and to having things now. The movement to simplify your life stems, in part, from a desire to stop the credit merry-go-round. Can’t figure out where your money goes? Get a notebook and write down every cent you spend; just writing it down will help you curb impulse spending. If you have concerns about your spending habits, the federal government has publications to assist you. (See "Taking Control of Your Finances." http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov )

9. Is your health so compromised that you should be on disability?

The National Fibromyalgia Association provides information about disability issues, including a special focus in one of last year’s issues of FMOnline. http://fmaware.org/fmOnlineNewsletter/2005/vol5_no10/index.htm Getting disability from the Social Security Administration is not easy and takes perseverance, but can ease your financial problems if you succeed.

10. Are you expecting to make any major life changes in the near future?

Retirement, becoming a parent, getting married, moving, getting divorced, changing jobs—the list is long, and every change can have serious ramifications for your financial health. Will you have health insurance after your divorce? Does your new employer offer it? Look before you make changes. Ask questions. Plan carefully.

9. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Most drug companies have a patient assistance plan for their most popular medications. You can usually find information on the company website. If you meet their qualifications, you fill out a form, get it signed by your doctor, and send it in.

Hope this helps,
    Kat
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

To answer your question about disability:

Yes, it takes a while, but every case is different. If you have enough medical documentation, especially about why you stopped working, and from doctors (they can send you to those you need), you shouldn't have any trouble.

I do think there is a 5 year time frame from when you last worked, that you have to apply, so its important you just get it started, ok?

If you worked for 15 years under social security, you have enough credits to qualify, I'm sure. A simple phone call to the number I (corrected) gave to you above, and they will tell you if you are eligible. Or they'll send you a form to request an "annual" information sheet about you specifically.

Good luck and keep us informed, ok?

findmind
  11. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

It can take several years to get on Soc. Sec. Disability but in the mean time you may be able to get medical coverage through the dep. of human services. I was on food stamps and got medical coverage before I was approved for SSDI. I am in RI so I don't know how it works in georgia, but you may get help thru same type of program. Also some medical hospitals give some type of med. coverage when income is very low. In boston there is a system of free care which is like medicare but one can be working to get it. Hope this helps.
    ruby
  12. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

try these sites myrxadvocate.com, FreeMedicineFoundation.com hope one helps you
  13. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Lmsmith5160:

You did not mention what state you live in? CA has state disability for 1 year, up to 50% of your income. Many other states have this program as well.

Do not mean to be rude, but why is your husband not working...if he is disabled, can he file for SSDI? If you have NO income you can probably apply for SSI, which is for people with assets less than $2000 and who do not qualify for SSDI.

Hope that something works out for you.

Ingrid
  14. lsmith5160

lsmith5160 New Member

You are not being rude and the question about why my husband is not working is one I can't even answer myself. It is not something I can do anything about though, except leave him and I would still be in this situation.

I am in Georgia