Medical Bottom Dwellers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mme_curie68, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I just tagged this at the bottom of another post, but I wanted to share with everyone -

Just because a person has an M.D. after their name - doesn't mean they graduated at the top of their medical school class. You can still be at the bottom of your class and get the same diploma as the Valedictorian!

I think the medical world is filled with a lot more "bottom-dwellers" than "shining stars".

Don't settle for a bottom dweller!!!! You're worth it!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

If you can believe it my pharmacy substituted Adderall instead of Ritalin by accident. When I picked up the prescription, I thought my doctor had made the change. Surprise, surprise when I was in to see her - to find out it wasn't her substitution!

Its in the same class of drugs - CNS stimulant but slightly different chemistry - mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall) versus methylphenidate hydrochloride (Ritalin). I don't really know what the pharmacist was thinking. Maybe she was in fibro-fog!!!

I take a similar dosage to what was recommended on Ritalin - 10 mg in the morning first thing, another 10 mg at lunchtime if I need it, and another 5 mg at about 3 pm, again if I really need it.

I am coming out of a nasty flare-up brought on by stress. First week I needed the three times a day dosing to be able to function.

This past week, I've found that I've been doing better and am just taking my morning, or as I call it my "wakey-wakey" dose (LOL ;) ) and have only used the second dose a couple of times.

It has made all the difference for me. I was really frustrated and despondent that nothing would help with the fatigue.

I hope it works well for you also!
    Hugs, Madame Curie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2006]
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

What a good post. Thanks for it. I also read a report about these days, the computer age, that many medical students cheat, whereas in the past it was very hard, but I read that it could be as high as 35%. It is NOT just med students, others too. Well I guess it does not matter a whole lot to our lives if a banker gets a degree by cheating, but a doctor or engineer or architect, well these are people we need to feel ARE highly qualified and adept at what they do.

When I was working around a lot of doctors, I realised how awful some of their lives were too. No solid relationships, heavy drinkers, awful diets. The best ones seemed those who were happily married as they were always better rested.

Love Anne C
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Madame Curie:

I suppose that is why it takes so many of us so long to get to the right doctor. You are right: many are 'bottom dwellers'. For a while I changed doctors almost every month. The one I have now kept me because I made an appointment with him every week to tell him I was still in pain. Really. And he did not chastise me or anything. I felt we could work well together. I almost walked out on my first visit and he made me sit down before leaving. And that is how our relationship started.

I scrutinized all of his degrees and looked him up on the net and there he was with all of his credentials. He also teaches, which is something I did not know.

He is very modest for all that he does, but very aggressive in his treatment of FM.

N.F.
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I remember in a college science class our professor asked us the question: What do you call someone who graduates at the bottom of their class in medical school?

We were all trying to think of a clever answer and the professor says: Doctor.

Kinda scary when you think about it.

Linda
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

Since when did erectile dysfunction become a bigger problem than having pain every day??? Have a doctor explain that.