Medical Card Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Nov 26, 2009.

1. steach

steach Member

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends.

I need info about possibly getting a medical card. I can no longer work full-time and I have no insurance. I keep trying to work part-time but it is not going very well. I feel worse than I ever have.

I am going to take a chance on filing for a medical disability with SS. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I'd be eligible for a medical card to cover dr. apts. and medications.

Have any of you received a medical card b/c you had no insurance and couldn't work? Is it even worth my time to try to get one? If so, any suggestions?

2. loto

loto Member

I have a medical card as my secondary insurance, and my primary insurance is through my job.
    I'm sure you will qualify if you can barely work and have no other insurance.
    If I didn't have a medical card I would not be able to afford all of the doctor's appt's and meds, even with my other insurance.

If I were you I'd apply for one right away.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

When I first applied for medicare they had me go on welfare due to the fact it would take awhile to get on disability.

After getting my benefits my medicare was so low that I also kept my medicaid insurance along with medicare. It took 2 yrs of disability to recieve mediccare coverage,so meicaid was my only coverage then.

go to your local office and apply. you may even recieve food stamps too.

good luck
    dont forget to apply for H.E.A.T asst also[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2009]
  4. steach

steach Member

I will have to contact Job & Family Services and try to arrange an appointment with someone who can assist with my special circumstances.

I wasn't sure if a medical card could only be issued for children or pregnant women.

I appreciate your responses.