"Medical Dry Needling" Anyone tried?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by siestasuze, Apr 28, 2010.

1. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

I'm not sure why, but since this really colder than usuall winter, I have more knots and ropy, tight muscles all down my back, spine, and new in my chest. It's really bad, and I don't know how to work them out. Well other than massage, which absolutely puts me in bed for 2 weeks.

ANYHOW--- I read an article on medical dry needling, or basically accupuncture by a MD, where electrical currents put thru some of the needles. Looking to see if it's worth paying out of pocket for, not covered by insurance.

I'm afraid to even start exercising, maybe I should go through physical therapy first???

SURVEY ON ACCUPUNCTURE? Responses for sucesses and failures, or worked somewhat, any feedback about this will be greatly appreciated!!!

2. roge

roge Member

dry needling is not accupuncture (ie. meridian lines and energy)

it involves longer needles inserted right into actual muscles to try and get rid of trigger points. i had this a few years ago and it was very very painful (the muscle cramps very bad as it grasps the needle) and it didnt really help.

i also have tight, knotty and rope like muscles common in fm and mps. i also have me/cfs.

i might try trigger point injections which are similar yet different than dry needling.

good luck

3. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

thanks for your info on dry needling. I spoke to a Dr. who is board certified in this procedure
    today on the phone. ????? Sometimes I worry about keeping on trying different things, seems
    so many dr.'s have their own "ways" and I wonder if some arent rip offs. I say that because she said to me: " first I need to see copies of all your recent labs, to make sure you have fibromyalgia". Then said she first does a history / exam and "throws in" the treatment, and can bill to my insurance to be covered, but follow up "treatments" aren't covered by insurance so they are out of pocket.?????? She never explained the procedure???????

I'm so sorry, to ramble on! I wanted to let you know I've had many "trigger point injections", by my first pain dr. who is an anesthesiologist. about every 3 months for 2 year period. they did help for about the first month, then nothing. The Dr's explanation of these injections made alot of sense, and did help a little, like I just said. sorry

But as we all know, some things work for some of us and not for others,

good luck to you as well.