Medical Marihuana?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tig519, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tig519

tig519 Member

My state will be legalizing medical marijuana next year. Has anyone used this as a way to manage the pain associated with FM? Is it effective?
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Well, we have dispenseries within a few miles of me, and I don't want to smoke it...I've tried some lozenges and they did nadda for me.....cannibus massage oil is available but quite pricey.....I have no objection if one can afford it and it helps.....but I want no smoke inhaled in my lungs.....jm
  3. Willow77

Willow77 Member

Be careful if you ever plan on going into a medical pain program. At my HMO even though prescription pot is legal, if you have ever had a prescription for MJ they will not prescribe any narcotic pain meds.

Prescription methadone has made such a difference for me that I shudder to think that my HMO would not have prescribed it if I had tried a prescription MJ.

I live in California.
  4. jaminhealth

What are side effects with Methadone, Willow. I'm in Calif also. My 2 docs would NEVER prescribe meth I believe, I've never asked for it so not sure, but they are both integrative MD's......jam
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are trying to get enough signatures to put medical marijuana on the ballot here in FL. CO just legalized medical and recreational Mary Jane. It will be available on Jan. 1. I think it ought to be legalized for both in small amts., taxed to the hilt, and regulated to get the criminal element out of it. Of course, criminals will always be involved in illegal drugs but making MJ legal would take a big bite out of it. In CO, you can buy it baked in brownies, regular and gluten free. How convenient!

Love, Mikie
    bct likes this.
  6. joanierav

joanierav Member

i didnt think you had to smoke it. i thought medical marijuana came in pill form. one for insomnia, one for pain, etc.

maybe im mislead. joanierav
  7. jaminhealth

joanie, there are so many forms of MJ, ones to eat, smoke, MJ oil for rubbing onto body....I'll probably looks into that form one of these days, and I don't know about pill form. I will not inhale smoke into my lungs and won't be hung up on brownies, it would be nice if there were a pill form but I don't know, and it's way expensive anyway....unless, of course, if money were no object. jam
  8. tig519

tig519 Member

does it help with the pain? It is better than narcotics?
  9. jaminhealth

tig, I just called our l0cal dispensary, they are so helpful, and YES, there are capsules which need to be CBD form used for pain, THC form is used for "high" feelings....we want CBD. And I would rather try these than narcotics, as it is now, I take 1/2 hydrocodone 3 times over the day....and 4 advil during the day, am and pm. I take a lot of other supps to help control pain as well. MSM in higher doses, my pain issues have accelerated in the last 3 yrs....

The only way one will know is if they try... Hope you will get that chance...of course, one must get a script from a MD for medicinal MJ, these are MD's in a registry, not just any MD.

The lady I was talking to said all prices will come down once legalized totally.
  10. Darrae

Darrae Member

My daughter was given medical MJ while on chemotherapy. Hers was in pill form. Pure THC. She didn't like taking it and threw it out. I told her she should have tossed it my way. It does help with not only pain, but more importantly and significantly, sleep disburbances. I had a friend who told me I should try a little and see how I felt.

I plan to ask my G.P. about it for pain as opposed to the Lodeine XL I take for pain and the Ambien for sleep. The side effects of those two drugs are not happy making for me. They've eroded the enamel on my teeth due to the "dry mouth" they cause. I'm losing teeth due to them breaking off at the gum line. Between those and the flexoril, I have a big "swallowing" problem as well.
    Dar