Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emah, Nov 13, 2014.

1. emah

emah Member

Has anyone used medical marijuana for pain and if so, did it help?
  2. I have heard that canabutter is much better for medicinal purpose, better than any other type, check out Hightimes and they have lots of info.
  3. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Medical pot isn't legal in my state, but the next time I got to Seattle, I'd like to try the variety that doesn't get you high, but does help with pain and sleep. I assume you can get it without a prescription since small amounts of recreational pot are legal there now.

Of course, I wouldn't be able to take it back with me, but it would be interesting to try out while there.

I saw the movie Midnight Express in the late 70s and was scarred for life. I would NEVER risk traveling with an illegal drug.
  4. bhusisho

bhusisho Member

Is it addictive?
  5. Tashi689

Tashi689 Member

I live in a state where medical cannabis is legal. My qualifying condition is PTSD but cannabis also helps my CFS/Fibro. I am able to completely control my pain with cannabis as long as I am careful to pace myself so that I don't over do it. I take the cannabis in the form of oil that I buy from the dispensary. The oil is 85% pure THC and it is lab tested. I use a very small amount three to four times a day, evenly spaced throughout the day. I just put it on my tongue. This is the same oil that is being used by cancer patients to cure stage 4 cancer.

I started using medical cannabis two years ago and in that time the industry has really grown. I began by smoking, then at the beginning of this year I began making canna butter. Once I began ingesting the cannabis I began to see real improvement. My dizziness went away, my depression and anxiety became manageable, and I am able to go to sleep and stay asleep. Symptoms that have bothered me for years are gone. Since I have begun to use the lab tested cannabis oil, I can completely control my pain. Another thing is that once you are used to cannabis you build a tolerance and after awhile it is possible to use it without becoming high. I don't feel high at all with the edibles, the most I feel is relaxed, however, I am very careful to take several very small doses throughout the day so that I never take too much at once. By doing that I maintain a fairly even level of medicine in my blood stream throughout the day.

I have begun growing the plants and ingesting the green leaves in smoothies. The leaves will not make you high at all, but they are full of chlorophyl and a strong antioxidant. I don't know why, but since I started this I no longer crave sugar at all and I eat normally. It must have somehow stabilized my blood sugar. There is definitely a learning curve to using this medicine, but it is amazing. The pain of the fibro was what really pushed me over the edge and got me to try the cannabis. I just could not live with the pain from the fibro and the anxiety associated with the PTSD was making my life miserable.

Is cannabis addictive? No, not at all. It is not physically addictive, but if you are ill and in pain, then once you experience the relief you can get from the cannabis you will never want to be without it. I purchase from a local dispensary. The owners are Christian and have never used Cannabis and I imagine that before going into business they probably thought cannabis was dangerous. Now they believe it is a miracle plant that should be available to everyone. They changed after seeing how it has helped their patients.

If it is legal where you are, try it. The dispensary that you purchase from should be able to answer all your questions. In my state they are required to provide that kind of education and assistance. I am still ill, and I am disabled and I still have CFS/Fibro, but I have my pain, anxiety, and depression under control and I have done it without taking any dangerous drugs.
    bct likes this.
  6. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Member

Hemp tea or CBD extracts of cannabis/hemp work on pain very well, they do not cause hallucinations, and they are usually legal in most states. Marijuana is just a subspecies of hemp, sort of like the difference between wheat and barley. Industrial hemp, the feedstock for CBD extracts, has no THC..

I nearly had a panic attack when I tried MJ due to the THC, and I did have some mild hallucinations and paranoia. Hemp doesn't bother me at all, and it does work on fibro pain. The only downside I suppose is the price. It's not horrible but its not cheap either.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

It is actually the THC which is the pain killer. It acts on the cannabinoid receptors in your brain, Cannabinoid receptors are related to opioid receptors and act to modulate pain. So cannabis which has had the THC removed will not work, except as a placebo. If you experience hallucinations or paranoia then the initial dose is far too high (probably a "street dose") It is always best to start off with a low dose (via ingestion) and build up to a most effective dose. Also cannabinol builds up in your system and has significant effects on pain following this build-up. Each daily dose then tops this up and increases the analgesia. Of course it is still unwise to drive when taking cannabis in any dose and never drink alcohol or take other psychoactive drugs with it because the cannabis will accentuate their effects.

{I did my PhD on the effects of cannabis on driving}
  8. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main ingredient found in cannabis, has been found to have antispasmodic or muscle relaxant effect."

"This was confirmed by an experiment, in which 5-10 milligrams of THC were made in comparison with placebo in patients suffering from multiple sclerosis."

"The 10-milligram THC dose reduced spasticity by clinical measurement."

"The THC in medical cannabis is able to relieve such painful spasm in patients with this condition, thus, the inhalation of cannabis truly relaxes the muscles."

"People who suffer from muscle tightness or twitching can likewise benefit from medical cannabis. THC can improve a person’s ability to move, and his or her quality of life as a whole."

"There are patients who suffer spinal cord injuries who reportedly self-medicate their muscle spasticity by inhaling cannabis."

See more here:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  9. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Member

There is a strain of Marijuana called Charlotte's Web, it's used primarily for pain, and it has no THC. But industrial hemp also has some of the same chemicals, just in lower quantities.
    RadioFM likes this.
  10. IanH

IanH Active Member

Charlotte's Web is a strain and extract which contains mostly Cannabinadiol (cannabidiol) a diol of cannabinol, it is partly transformed into tetrahydrocannabinol in your body by a set of enzymes, and it also acts directly on cannabinol receptors so assisting analgesia. However it is not as effective as THC but induces a lesser "high" than THC so generally considered more acceptable. Industrial hemp contains traces of both THC and Cannabinadiols but their psychoactivity is very low and would not be analgesic - obviously depending on the strain of plant and preparation of the hemp.

Part of the problem in using smoked forms of any cannabis is dose control. Because people smoke and inhale differently it is very hard to research in this way and for many people is a hopeless way of controlling pain. Whatever form is used better control is achieved by oral ingestion.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  11. Sherpa_

Sherpa_ Member

I have used both medical cannabis (high THC) and also CBD oil for symptoms. I find that the CBD oil is not as good at killing pain, but does help lower systemic inflammation.