medical massage - to tip or not to tip?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Aug 25, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

a couple weeks ago i went to get a massage that i guess you would call "medical" (ie. it wasn't a spa, my masseuse was actually the owner of the clinic). on my way out, i told the front desk lady to give my change ($10) to my masseuse and though she took the money, she looked at me kind of funny. is tipping only appropriate in a spa type scenario where the masseuses are independent contractors? i plan to go for more so i need to know! i'd love to save the cash if it's not customary!!

eddie
  2. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

would you tip the nurse at the doctor's office?
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Well at a hair salon you don't tip the owner if she cuts your hair. I would say don't tip or you could call and discreetly ask the receptionist if it's appropriate. all this tipping and who to tip confuses the heck out of me too! Lynn
  4. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

This is what I do, I always, tip the Massage Theraphist, even if they own the Bus. I usually leave 15%, when I do tip, and if the service was really great, I add extra.

My Dr.s & Nurse's, get Gifts from me, at Christmas time, so in a way, that's a Tip, I guess, lol.

I just Believe in letting people know, that they are appericated.

My Brother who has recently been moved to a NH, asked me yesterday, if I would bring his Med. Nurse, a Box of See's Candy. She's been really good to him, during this diffucalt transition.
    So She will be getting on of the Big Box's, so she can share if she want to, lol, with the other Staff .

I also plan on getting one for the Admin, there, because it took Her to finally get a decent bed for my Bro, the one he was in leaned to his left and was making him miserable.
    Plus a few other things that were making him unhappy.
    I'm glad that she took the time to make sure it got done, so I will be getting her a Box.

Chocolate. speaks volumes, so when in doubt, give Chocolate out, ;o][This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like physical therapists. I do tip when I have a massage. They do free chair massages at my car dealership and I sometimes get one on my neck, shoulders, and upper back while my car is getting an oil change. I always tip the masseusse for that.

Love, Mikie
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think this is a great question....

Most of us don't have insurance for medical massages---we are already using discretionary income for this, and for many, this puts a real strain on the budget.

To add a tip, no matter how much we may appreciate the service, may mean the difference between getting 8 massages or 10 over the course of our treatment. I think if it's truly a medical service, a tip is probably not necessary. That doesn't mean kind words each visit, or a card with a word of thanks can't be given, so that the clinic knows you really appreciate what this is doing for your health.

Bruin's kind gestures to his practitioners are wonderful, and I'm sure appreciated by all, but many, many here are not in a good enough financial position to be able to afford that. In fact, many (including myself) cannot realistically afford the massage, let alone the tip.

Eddie, when I DID get massages occasionally in "days gone by", I found them extremely helpful, not just for pain but for reduced stress. I'd love to be able to get them again. Reducing the tension alone makes them very valuable. So do continue if you can!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

First off, I'm not a man, second, I am not a person of mean's, I just am careful, where I use my Money.
    You can get a box of Russell Stovers Samples, for 89cents at Wallmart, and they make nice little thank you's.

Tipping, has always been, a Hot Debate, lol.
    Even among the people who are the receivers.
    I remember one conversation with a Bartender, who said that he thought that Women were the worst tippers.
    I said that was, probably due to the fact that They are the ones paying the "Sitter" not the guy's, lol.

If a woman left me a 25cent tip, I felt, Better than when some man left me a 5 dollar tip. I know it was a true jesture, of thanking me for the serivce that I gave her.

That is what I tip for, the service.
    My Brother, is the one with the Income, that can afford the Big box's of Candy, that He has me deliver to His Caregivers.
    As your World grow's smaller, I think it's important to Thank thoes who are there to help you.

I had written, one of the members here, about this, should we Tip the Staff at the NH.
    She said it wasn't necessary, but little gifts were much appericated. (I appericate you btw if you read this C )

Yesterday, when I was there, at the NH.
    I had to drive my Scooter, around some Human poop, that had been released by a Sweet little man, sitting in line for his Shower.
    His Nurse, was the one who had to clean it up, and I thought, man it takes someone really Special to do this kind of work.
    So yeah, they will get the smaller, less expense gifts from me, and my Brother who is a Vet, and on VA will pay for the Bigger box's of Candy, like he say's what else does he have to spend his money on, than too Thank Thoes who help him.

It's not a Mandatory thing, it comes from the Heart for me, just the way I am.

Please do not single me out, just because you don't agree with me,
    Sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My CPA went over and above to help me with tax advice. On April 15, I took two boxes full of baked goods from Perkin's Restaurant to the office for everyone to snack on. I have taken plants or flowers to doctors' offices for the staff. I took some flowers to the lady in the insurance office for our condo assn. as every year, she has to deal with proof of flood ins. with my mortgage co. The mortgage company always loses it and she ends up having to do it twice. She never complains and is so sweet.

If money is a problem, people love to get a little hand written not of appreciation. Sometimes, that's the best Thank You that they could receive.

Both my daughters worked as waitresses and I know how hard it is. I try to always tip generously.

Love, Mikie
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm very sorry, no offense meant and I sincerely apologize for assuming you were male, how stupid of me...can't even blame fibrofog, just downright dumb there!

I think what you do for your practitioners is wonderful, and I never assumed you were "wealthy"....kind gestures like that can make all the difference in someone's day, and to let someone know they are appreciated, in whatever way possible, is truly gracious. I never assumed your kindnesses were anything but from the heart. But I also wanted to respond to Eddie's query---his was a question about practicality, and the reality of often wanting to tip to show appreciation, but the reality of not always being able to do so. And I (and maybe others) have been similar situations before. And so I offered what I would do in that situation, maybe by a card with heartfelt thanks or just sincere words of appreciation.

Please accept my apologies, Sharon, I certainly didn't mean to "single out" you or anyone, in fact, you offered some great examples of how you show your gratitude to those who have made you feel better, and we can all learn from your thoughtful ideas. I'm sorry you felt picked on, and I'm very sorry I assumed you were male. Not my day to shine, I'll try to do better next time, honestly!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I came back to remove that post, as I felt that I was probably being to Sensitive and took it the wrong way.
    I am truly Sorry for making you feel bad, was not my intention, either.
    I reread my post, and yeah it probably did read, like I was some Rich Person, lol,someday maybe, but only if we hit the Lottery. ;o)

DH Play's it , and if he ever does hit it big, I am going on my Cruise, and taking Friends, ;o)

Untill then I am filling my Vacation Jug, with Quaters, another year, and I am on my way.

Thanks for writting me, and hopefully, I will not be so sensitive in the future.
    Again, my Apologies, for being such a Brat. ;o)

Sharonk
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I think that when you get a massage that you are charged enough --without giving a tip!! They charge $50.00 and up,per hour, depending on where you live. Some areas charge much more than that but that's what they charge here. My masseuse has her business in her home so there is no overhead. She does massages back to back all day. That's pretty good money for a home run business.She has 3 days a week off, so how bad is that? Her husband is also a Masseuse! I don't tip them!
    Shirley
  12. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I do regular and "medical massage". Medical Massage is the new coin word for massage targeted to a specific problem, involving the use of a certain massage protocol and techniques.

When I get it done, I always tip, and when I treat others with this kind of massage I always get a tip.

As for tipping in spas,hotels etc. Please know that most therapists are making usually about 8-10 dollars an hour (pre-tax!) and depend on the tips to bring the salary up. Not unlike the waitering experience.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2005]
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

well, it has been my experience that a person does not tip for any medicl service, especially since it is not necessary to help a medical professional with their salary. If you want to show your gratitude, I would suggest a box of candy or a tea basket.

Also, I know that in beauty salons, you never tip the owner, for thd same reason.

Hope this helps.
    Terry
  14. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I think what needs to be made clear is if this person is a medical professional or a massage therapist.

Many massage therapists work out of medical centers now, but they are not considered MD's, etc. etc

Is it a massage therapist performing a certain type of massage or is it an MD who happens to know massage?

When I did work (too sick now) I worked from home and from a spa. At the spa I was always tipped, but at home, it was 50/50, some did'nt, some did.

I'm not clear on the circumstances or the center, the therapist, and the set up you went to, so I'm not sure what is what.

If it is a massage therapist who happens to specialize in a certain kind of massage (like myself), it is customary to tip, especially if they give you 100% effort.

I know your getting conflicting opinions here, but your getting mine from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    ;-)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2005]
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

How cool is that - a massage while you are waiting. Is it a high end car dealership like Mercedes? I can't see them doing that in my little town at the Ford dealership.
  16. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You're not a brat at all, please don't think that!!! Thank you for the very kind words, too...

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on this "tip" topic, too, but I bet we can all pretty much agree that a massage sounds really good just about any time! To me, they are as beneficial for our mental health as they are for our bodies.

There is a local college that trains massage therapists that has been advertising recently---I think they charge $20-25, so you could be helping a student fine-tune their craft, pay them plus add a tip, and it'd still be very affordable. I might look into this....

Hugs,
    Pam
  17. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

my thought was, at a spa, it's like someone said, the masseuses are paid a low base (8-10/hr) and basically work for tips like a waitress, which is why a lot of them offer their personal services on the sly to the spa's clients. if i go to a professional who owns his/her own clinic, they are receiving $50-70/hr for their services. granted, they may have overhead and whatnot, but they certainly don't
    "work for tips" so to speak.

i'm more confused than ever; i guess i'll just wing it!

eddie
  18. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. My massage therapist is in conjunction with my chiropractor, and fortunately, my insurance pays for both (minus my co-pay). The woman I use is wonderful, and she's a real sweetie. She's only 22, but has amazing hands and has been a God send to me. For people who don't have insurance, or wish to purchase a gift certifcate for a massage, it costs $60. I get a massage every two weeks, and each time I tip her $15. It's well worth it to me. She knows my body, what works and what doesn't. I also give her a gift on her birthday and at the holiday season. I know tipping is a personal thing, but I just want to show her how grateful I am. And yes, I give my chiropractor and is wife (they are in practice together) holiday gifts as well.

Rene