Medical Quandry

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Goldyfm, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. Goldyfm

    Goldyfm New Member

    My Rheumie sent me to a new neurologist who has referred me to a sleep specialist. This same rheumie had already sent me to a pulmonary sleep doctor and I had a sleep study done at that time. The 2nd neurologist has little regard for the first study and wants a more neuro intensive study done. Well I had to go back to the 1st sleep doctor for a visit to refill Requip prescription. At that visit he wanted to change my antidepressant to Effexor. I was on Zoloft from the Rheumatologist. I imediately called the rheumie and talked to his nurse who instructed me not to change the Zoloft.

    Well I see the Rheumatologist yesterday and he tells me he concurs with the sleep doctor and wants me to follow his regimine for the antidepressant. Remember he sent me to a new neurologist who does not accept the 1st sleep doctor's testing and treatment. I have a couple of weeks until I have the new sleep study done and then see the neurologist in December. My question is whether to change it pending these other tests and followups or just wait till I get the results form the new doctor. Gee I am in a quandry as who is actually treating me now. I like the Rheumatologist and I value his judgement over that of the first sleep doctor but his about face on agreeing with the med change has me wondering.
  2. LittleBluestem

    LittleBluestem New Member

    Would you be comfortable asking your rheumie why he changed his mind? My guess is that he read up on something and realized that it would be a good idea. No one can answer every question that they are asked off of the top of their head. "Let me look into that" might have been a better first answer than "No"; but as medical indiscretions go, that is a pretty small one.

    How well is the Zoloft working? I can sympathize with your reluctance to change drugs when there might be another change after the sleep study. You might bring that up to your rheumie, as well.
  3. Goldyfm

    Goldyfm New Member

    I have decided not to change this medication until after the sleep study on 11/28 and the followup with the neurologist. I have only been on this drug for 4 months now and I really don't want to add another chemical enhancer as I have had a bad expereience with Celexa and I sure don't need that going on with the new testing. Thanks, you guys are the greatest.
  4. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    I wish I had an answer for you.

    In my opinion this is one of the biggest problems within the health-care system today.

    The lack of communication of multiple physicians used by one patient.

    It takes less than two minutes to send an email -- I see no reason why physicians can not do this most offices are set up securely for this very reason.

    I hope you get all of settled and get the help you need.

    Take care and look out for you,

    Karen :)
  5. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    goldyfm:

    Why not call the doctor and ask? Usually they can be very helpful in these matters. I would call the one who you trust the most instead of both of them.

    nyrofan