Medical Question concerning oxygen........

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Milo83, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

CALL ME STUPID IF YOU WANT - BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.........

OK, HERE GOES:

If one's oxygen level is low and you are having trouble breathing, then if you are put on oxygen, it should ease the problem a little - RIGHT???

OK,
    Now if one is having difficulty breathing due to fluids, congestive heart failure, WILL BEING ON OXYGEN HELP ALL THAT MUCH ???????????

I ask this because yesterday they put Mom on oxygen, really starting to have a hard time breathing, but they can never get a correct pulse ox with the finger thingy because of the circulation in her hands, BUT SHE IS REALLY SWOLLEN RIGHT NOW, ESPECIALLY IN FEET AND LEGS.......

I took notice even with the oxygen on, she was still having a problem, but not quite as bad.........
    I'm under the impression if it's due to congestive heart failure, oxygen will not relieve the shortness of breath because you are so full of fluid - AM I CORRECT OR NOT??

Any info you could give me would be helpful.......
    Thanks in Advance..........Love, Donna
  2. julie11

julie11 New Member

They always give my mom oxygen in the hospital when she was quite swollen & had severe fluid retention.

From the alzheimer's board. My ex husband called thinking he has West Nile Virus. Checking out any info here today on that.

Julie

3. basethound

basethound New Member

Donna, both my parents have chf however my mom refuse's to go on oxygen, dad can't breath at all w/o oxygen, but my understanding is when your in chf the fluid is surrounded around your heart/lung creating your breathing problem, and when they give lasic's(sp) to take off the fluid, your breathing becomes better and then you won't need oxygen as much or at all, and I know when dad has trouble breathing he stress's and has an anxiety attack and you need to reassure him he is ok but to take sm deep breaths am I making any sense? hope this helps a little, I think this has confused me, Barb