Medical Records

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Since I switched doctors recently I had the opportunity to "capture" my medical records...all that my GP had!

I copied everything. Now I am wondering when and if it comes time for me to file for ssd what I should include and or highlight?

I actually had two copies made in case I needed more than one "set".

The Lord works in mysterous ways doesn't He? - I NEVER in a million years thought I could get my hands on these!

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  2. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Under the law...everyone is entitled to a copy of their own medical records. At any time you should be able to request what you want and receive it in a timely manner.

Now that doesn't mean someone is going to retrieve your file and copy them right there. You usually fill out a form and then there is a reasonable wait time. Some medical offices will charge a fee (considered a copying charge).

When you apply for ssd - they will tell you exactly what they need. I think having the extra set is a great idea.

3. findmind

findmind New Member

Good going! Yes, these will be very good for filing SSDI...make sure you have the old drs office "correct" any mistakes and send you a copy of the correction.

Also, as you go to the new dr., every time you leave, ask them to make you a copy of that day's lab reports, drs. narrative, x-rays, other tests, etc.
    Then you won't ever have to ask for a batch of them all at once.

I hope you never have to go on SSDI, but also wish you a speedy approval if you do have to file for it.

4. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

when I filed for SSD they requested all my medical records.All I had to do was give them a list of my Dr.',their names and addresses,phone numbers.Make sure you have all of them. Hugs, Robin
  5. landra

landra New Member

Yes, as Robin and findmind said, SocSec. will request the records. However - they take their time about it, then sometimes lose them.

So you getting them means you can ask them what they have - after you gave them to them, and fill in whatever they lose!!
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

If YOU send records anywhere, send them "return receipt requested" mail!

Keep the receipt, LOL!

7. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

You should always keep a copy of your medical records. Over time some of the doctors retire, pass away etc. When I filed my SS I had copies of my records from 1983 on. One of the doctors had since passed away.

Whenever a copy was needed I sent one out, but always kept a copy in my file. Things get lost, and if they get lost they can sometimes be irreplacable.

M J
  8. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

For all your advise.

The records I have are only from my GP for the past ten years but I will start asking for and keeping all of my dr's notes now that I know I can request them each time I visit. Even if I have to wait for them to be copied and pay for them on the spot.

It is my understanding that I am entitled to have them when I ask for them - right?

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2008]
  9. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

In answer to your question-yes,you are entitled to your medical records.Some places may take their time getting them to you and as you said some will charge a fee.If you can afford it,it is a good idea.Hope this helps. Robin
  10. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Call your Dr's office tell them you want to speak to someone in the records dept. You'll probably have to sign paper work for them.Tell them you want the dr's notes also.They should tell you what you need to do to get them.But as I said it may cost you a fee.Some can be expensive.So ask for certain dates.I believe they charge per page.You have a right to all your records.Some may ask you why you want them.I told them because they are mine and I want copies of them.Hope this helps. Robin