Medical report on fibro & cfs connected to high sexual child abus

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by farmgetty, Aug 10, 2005.

1. farmgetty

farmgetty New Member

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS? I'M A BIT SURPRISED, ALTHOUGH THERE COULD BE A CONNECTION BUT A HIGH RATE OF FIBRO & CFS DUE TO CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE?
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

fms is linked to traumatic experiances,car crashes and accidents so why not abuse?

i was abused and started to show symptoms of fm/cfs at about 8yrs and its got worse every year til now and i am not the only one.

forgive me but whats the big surprise?
  3. nina2

nina2 New Member

Fibromyalgia is typically set in motion by a triggering event that overloads the nerves with a high level of trauma.

Early childhood trauma makes one more susceptible to a current event overloading their nerves and inducing FMS.

T his is because past trauma is recorded on an "old tape" in the limbic (subconcious survival system) A current trauma can activate an earlier "old tape" due to the common feeling of a threat to survival.

Any significant trauma will induce a temporary feeling of fibromyalgia in almost anyone, similar to a broken bone from an injury.

FMS sets in when a person has widespread pain for more than three months.

In other words,they fail to recover from the trauma. It's like a broken bone that does not heal.

In this case it is the major sensory input system of the central nervous system that is failing to recover, far more serious an issue than a broken bone.

nina
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

If true, not only does a person have to endure the abuse, but then the body responds by being unable to heal and FM sets in. Boy, when someone says life isn't fair, this is a prime example.

FM can also come from Hypothyroidism, etc. and that is where I think mine may have gotten in...I was not abused as a child.

My love and prayers for all those that have experienced this double whammy. Blessings,
    Sue
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i was abused sexually emotionaly mentaly and physicaly but i try not to let it bother me i have my fm/me to deal with two kids and three dogs oh and a hubby all keeping me busy.

like someone else said trauma is trauma wheres the surprise
  6. Dovebird

Dovebird New Member

as being childhood trauma. Gosh to think I sit here and harm and blame myself all the while my past endured at least 4 major traumas before I was the age of 12. If I look back now I can see a pattern. My first trauma was dealing with a seizure disorder that caused humilation in front of my school friends. Sure I have been through therapy and only one therapist mentioned PSTD but gosh thanks for the post it made me dig deep in thoughts of punshing myself for all this.

I've had three major surgeries but the bulk of my symptoms truly began after my first surgery. Guess I need to look at the whole darn picture and tell my critical father that thinks I am a hypochondriac that he played a BIG part in helping me be so healthy. I just forgave him again yesterday. When does forgiving end for those that can't hold onto anything stressful?
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Farmgetty,

I personally would like to "burn" that report! It is a very clever way doctors can say "it's all in your head".

I was not abused as a child or an adult. I believe someone pointed out that it would be relatively easy to gather ANY group of individuals together and have a substantial amount of them having suffered some form of abuse as a child.

Child abuse is heart breaking and rampant, but I don't believe in has any hand in CFS/FM.

If it was stressing you, then you can put your mind at ease.

talk soon,

Elsa
  8. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

If there is any connection, than it is the stress in any kind of abuse, which might help to trigger cfids.
    I agree with elsa; again a convinient way of explaining something away.
    childabuse is terrible!!!!!!! And the abused most probably have to struggle with deep psychological trauma. Trauma can produce similar symptoms like cfids, but there is very clear diffrences!!!!!
    (Would be intresting to know where was such a study done and by whom.)
    karinaxx

9. julieboo

julieboo New Member

Next theory? How about it the mothers fault! Thats the next one when they have no explanation for a disease that is not in their receipe books.
    No I have never been sexually abused, and no, my mother was what a true mom should be.
    So that blows that theory for me out of the water.
    I would think that the high stress of those factors could possibly be a major contributor, but not the cause.
    I know that therapy helps alot of people (with a good therapist) but most of the ones I've met are nuttier than a fruitcake. That includes my mother-in-law and cousin who I love dearly. Take care everyone,
    Julie
  10. nina2

nina2 New Member

But while I was raised in an upper middle class family,and never abused in any way by my mom or dad I've read and heard over and over again the direct connection in those who have been abused.

Childhood abuse, neglect etc. is only one trigger as other traumatic experiences can also and often do trigger fibromyalgia symptoms.

I have had traumatic experiences in my life. Starting with the death of my firstborn and almost losing my own life at the tender age of 18. My trauma didn't end there.

I know that I cannot deal with stress and when I have to I am overwheled and this for me triggers a flare up response.
    I know there is a definite connection for me.

We cannot begin to phantom how many studies or who or how many persons have done studies on this illness. There are too many to count.

But they all seem to conclude that it is either a viral or traumatic event that predisposes one to the illness.

I personally tend to believe that all illness is from dis-ease. And a persons psych has a great deal to due with the immune system response.

This is just my humble opinion.
  11. sheried

sheried New Member

You put it into words so well.

I fall into that category and I can tell you that after 6 years of living H--- as an adult, it all hit. Full blown FMS and then Parkinsons. I believe that it is a trauma that sets you up for this mess and more trauma just brings it on.

Hugs,
    Sherie