Medical Tests for Fibro Patients

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Mar 29, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia on Aug. 29, 2002. Actually, I was diagnosed three times in one week, with different doctors poking and prodding my tender points while I jumped in response!

While I got the diagnosis very quickly, and nobody has suggested that I'm just being a hypochondriac, the general attitude seems to be that pain is the *only* symptom associated with fibro. In my case, maybe that's correct. Sometimes, I'm not even sure about the diagnosis, although I definitely have pain at the tender points. I also have GERD, TMJ dysfunction and IBS--all of which I understand are commonly associated with fibromyalgia.

But after being on this board for several months and reading some of the very informative posts, I'm beginning to think that fibromyalgia may involve some more systemic problems. And I don't know how to ask my doctor(s) to look for that.

I *don't* get sick a lot. I seldom have a fever. (In fact, my normal temp is on the low side--97.2 to 97.6 degrees.) My thyroid tests have come back normal--and not just low normal, but well into the normal range.

As for my pain, it seems to be manageable right now (at least for today) with a combination of Wellbutrin and Neurontin, with occasional doses of Extra-Strength Tylenol and triple-buffered aspirin. (I have to alternate between the two, because the aspirin can aggravate GI problems that I already have from GERD, and the Tylenol can cause liver problems. My liver enzymes were high a few months ago, but by alternating the OTC meds and taking Milk Thistle, I seem to have found something that works. I can't seem to tolerate the heavier-duty pain meds; so I'm really grateful that this seems to be working.

However, my hands are often very cold, and I've gained more than 10 pounds in the past 18 months or so. (A little of that was from my brief try taking Elavil, but I'd already gained some weight by then.) For a while, I was having some strange breathing problems--though that seems to have gone away since I started taking Flonase and Atrovent. And of course, I still have problems sleeping. (That's one problem the docs *do* seem to take seriously, along with the pain.)

Maybe at this point, I *am* being a hypochondriac, but I really think I just want to figure out what the heck is going on in my body. And I don't think my doctors really care. As long as I'm not rocking their boat, they just treat what they're used to treating instead of looking to see whether something else is going on.

I'm just wondering whether there are any tests I should be asking my doctor to do. Compared to many others on this board, my problems really seem minor (though the fact that I also have multiple sclerosis complicates things a bit for me--especially since my neurologist is completely disinterested in any possible interaction between the two conditions and/or treatments for those conditions).

I'd be very interested in any suggestions folks on this board may have to offer.

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just realized I posted the message I'm bumping 6 months to the day after I was diagnosed with fibro....

With all the messages on this board, it's easy for some to get buried. That's why I decided to bump this one. I'd really like to know what people recommend in the way of tests for systemic problems that may be associated with fibromyalgia.

--Laura R.M.
  3. bejo

bejo New Member

I don't know of any tests for fibro except the tender points.I had to have a brain scan,etc. when I was diagnosed but that was because I'd had headaches for 2 years.Any other tests that they run are just as new symptoms appear,to make sure it isn't something else causing them.Fibro does usually get worse in time although Drs. usually say that it doesn't.I'm glad you bumped this up,I had missed seeing it the first time.Sorry about that.
    (((()))) bejo
  4. SandiGS

SandiGS New Member

When I was first diagnosed, my Dr. did a lab test for growth horomone and found it to be low, which is consistent with FM. I am now taking Diatx for this. I know the name looks a little funny, but that is the correct spelling. Thanks, Sandi
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

failure and I think it has B6 and something else
    in it, wish I could remember. Will look it up if
    I can remember, foggy day. Hugs, Bambi
  6. lea

lea Member

Please let me know what is Diatx. Do you need a Rx and is it helping?
    thank you in advance
    best,
    lea
  7. KayL

KayL New Member

what that is too. My IGF-1 is low and I just had a stim test a couple weeks ago. I see my endocrinologist again on 4/14. At that time I suppose he'll propose a treatment plan. So far all that's been mentioned is injections, so this is definitely something I'm interested in.

Karen