Medicare’s New Requirements for Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, etc

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TwoCatDoctors, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

CENTERS FOR MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES

Medicare’s New Requirements for Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies(DMEPOS) Suppliers

Starting October 2009, new rules will go into effect for certain Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) suppliers in order to be paid by Medicare.

The new requirements for suppliers include being accredited and having a surety bond which will help assure that you continue to get high-quality products and services and help to prevent fraud in the Medicare program. If your supplier doesn’t meet these new requirements, you will have to look for another Medicare-approved supplier in order for Medicare to pay for your equipment and supplies.

How do I know if my current supplier is affected?

The new requirements affect the following types of DMEPOS suppliers:

•Durable medical equipment (such as oxygen equipment and power wheelchairs)

•Medical supplies (such as diabetic supplies)

•Home dialysis supplies and equipment

•Therapeutic shoes

•Parenteral/enteral nutrition

•Transfusion medicine

•Prosthetic devices

•Prosthetics and orthotics

How will I know if my current supplier doesn’t meet Medicare’s requirements?

Ask if your current supplier plans to meet these new Medicare program requirements to avoid any interruption in your services. If your supplier isn’t going to meet the new requirements, you will have to look for another Medicare-approved supplier in order for Medicare to pay for your equipment and supplies.

What if I don’t want to change suppliers?

Starting October 2009, the supplier types listed on the previous page must meet Medicare’s new requirements in order to be paid by Medicare. If your supplier hasn’t met these new requirements and you continue getting supplies from them, Medicare won’t pay and you will have to pay the full cost for the supplies.

What will happen with equipment in my home if I have to change suppliers?

Your current supplier should make arrangements to remove the equipment after you have received replacement equipment from your new supplier.

What should I do if I have oxygen and my current supplier told me that they are removing their equipment after October 1, 2009?

Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048. A customer service representative can help you find a new supplier.

Why can’t I continue to go to my pharmacy to get my diabetic supplies?

If your pharmacy hasn’t met Medicare’s new requirements, they won’t be able to provide your diabetic supplies after October 1, 2009. To find a pharmacy that can provide your supplies, visit www.medicare.gov and select “Find Suppliers of Medicare Equipment in Your Area.” Or, call 1-800-MEDICARE.

How do I find a new Medicare supplier?

Ask your current supplier if they are working with another supplier who can help you. If your supplier can’t help, call 1-800-MEDICARE and a customer service representative can help you find a new supplier. Or, visit www.medicare.gov and select “Find Suppliers of Medical Equipment in Your Area.”
    ?
    CMS Product No. 11437
    September 2009

FROM: http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11437.pdf
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for this valuable info!!!

JLH
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

This came to me in a government info e-mail that I get. It would easily pass by most of the public and when it includes diabetic supplies too, it becomes important info. Apparently they are tightening down on many things and this info I received shows it. I'm grateful they sent it to me, otherwise how would we know??