Medicare only allowing 1 month Physical Therapy a year

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dd, Jun 27, 2003.

1. dd

dd New Member

When I went to physical therapy today my therapist asked me if I was aware of the changes effective July 1st restricting the # of treatments allowed.

I was shocked to say the least. On July 1st Medicare will only allow 1 month worth of treatments for whole year. I go 3 times a week and it has been helping me a lot with the headaches and body aches. Now they are only going to pay for 12 visits per year. I can use these visits all in 1 month or spread them out...but come on...12 visits total. This is from the Balanced Budget Act from 1999. Because of the uproar that this ammendment received back in 1999 the government decided to not implement it until July 1, 2003.

Has anyone else that is on Medicare heard this? My physical therapist is so discouraged about this...and so am I. What else will be cut back???

I just can't believe this!!!

Peace,

Debbie
  2. beckster

beckster New Member

you tell us. I am not using a physical therapist now, but know they are cutting back other things too. I susupect when the puny prescription drug benefit comes A LOT of services will be cut; to make you THINK you are getting something, but not really.. Yuk.

When are the people in this country going to wake up???????

I am very interested in how many times you could see a physical therapist BEFORRE this recent cutback.

Thanks for you reply!!!!!!!! Beckster
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I believe its the same for medicaid~ They really need to come up with abetter system because most of the times Drs. won't even take meicaid.Its almost useless unless your already in with a certain dr. Then again....I had a dentist for over 15 years that stopped accepting medicaid so I was booted!!Now...the closest one to me that takes medicaid is an almost 2 hr drive from here!!
    One month is no where near enough time of PT for alot of conditions!!Its disgusting!!
  4. dd

dd New Member

Before this cut back my PT was unlimited as long as I had a script from my dr saying that it was medically needed. I usually go 3 times a week which amounts to 156 times a year. Now that is going to be limited to only 12 visits a year...unless of course I am wealthy and can afford to pay for my visits out of pocket...NOT.

This cut back includes ALL PT...even for people with hip replacements, knee replacements etc...1 months of PT will be only a drop in the bucket for what those patients will need.

People need to start writing our congress men, senators and whoever else we can think of. I am in the process of writing a letter today and will be sending it out ASAP. In 1999 the goverment postponed this ridiculous cut back because of public outrage. Perhaps if they get the same response this time around they will toss it in the garbage all together...lets hope!!

Thanks,

Debbie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...that's what the doctors always told me. If I wanted more than 12 in one year, I had to develop a different problem that also required PT. Medicare won't pay for "pallative treatments" for more than 12 visits, because they would never be able to stop paying and paying. So, unless your proposed therapy is curative, they will always balk at paying for it indefinately.
    I agree,the premium for the drug benefit, when/if it comes, will wipe out the entire cost of living increase, and then some. The yearly premium increases already wipe out most of it.
    When I first went on SSDI, my monthly check replaced the equivalent of working 26 hrs./week. Now, even with cost of living increases, it replaces only 15 hrs. of work. If I were not married, I would be homeless.
    Klutzo
  6. beckster

beckster New Member

ALREADY are homeless, sick people in general, I mean.
    A good friend of mine in California told me recently that with the state budget problem they are proposing to not give the portion of state money to low income SSD and SS people. She is sick, disabled, low income, a senior and lives in
    subsidized low-income housing. If the state no longer gives her the l50$ they add to her social security (she gets the minimun amount), the next time they do her yearly evaluation she will be TOO poor to qualify to live in low-income housing and will be forced out and be homeless!!!!!

Good grief!!!!!!! Go figure that one, America. And in the meantime on the TV I read the closed caption headlinesabout Iraq and it is costing us so many billion for this and that, and so many hundred million we (taxpayers) are paying some private company to go to Iraq to rebuild the schools. . . .Hmm, let me see if I got this right: bomb a country to ruin (a country who hardly even fought back--they had not ONE plane in the air); make more people lose jobs; make more homeless; throw poor,disabled elderly out of low-income subsidized housing; go back to Iraq and subsidize private companies to rebuild the schools in Iraq we not too long ago bombed to ruin. Ok, I do believe I have it now. Yeah, I got it all straight. But, then, if I got it straight, why does it seem crazy? Beckster
  7. beckster

beckster New Member

ALREADY are homeless, sick people in general, I mean.
    A good friend of mine in California told me recently that with the state budget problem they are proposing to not give the portion of state money to low income SSD and SS people. She is sick, disabled, low income, a senior and lives in
    subsidized low-income housing. If the state no longer gives her the l50$ they add to her social security (she gets the minimun amount), the next time they do her yearly evaluation she will be TOO poor to qualify to live in low-income housing and will be forced out and be homeless!!!!!

Good grief!!!!!!! Go figure that one, America. And in the meantime on the TV I read the closed caption headlinesabout Iraq and it is costing us so many billion for this and that, and so many hundred million we (taxpayers) are paying some private company to go to Iraq to rebuild the schools. . . .Hmm, let me see if I got this right: bomb a country to ruin (a country who hardly even fought back--they had not ONE plane in the air); make more people lose jobs; make more homeless; throw poor,disabled elderly out of low-income subsidized housing; go back to Iraq and subsidize private companies to rebuild the schools in Iraq we not too long ago bombed to ruin. Ok, I do believe I have it now. Yeah, I got it all straight. But, then, if I got it straight, why does it seem crazy? Beckster
  8. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

You're right about medicaid. Medicaid used to
    cover a lot more and they cut back last year I think.
    They no longer will cover naturopaths, chiropractors, etc.

I was extremely fortunate when I first hurt my back
    in 88. I needed such extended treatment from
    my chiropractor. When I had no insurance,
    he gave me free treatments for a long period
    of time. He also let me come in whenever I felt
    like it at the drop of a hat to have PT or some
    other type of therapy. He truly was and is a blessing
    to me. We need more people like him in this profession.

Lynn
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I heard my PT tell another patient about the changes of Medicare on one of my visits.

Personally, I have never had unlimited PT visits from health insurance, but I cannot remember what the limit was. I do remember one insurance company limited visits (I believe it was 20) a year. I was going twice a week, so it ran out fast. The PT facility put me on an after-care program and my rate was different, less than what they charge the insurance companies. I work part time, and am married and right now my husband is working, (thank goodness) so I can SPLURGE on physical therapy visits.

For now......... Fondly, June