medicare question related to private insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen102, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

I am insured thru my husband's insurance thru his work. I became eligible for medicare, but accepted only the mandatory hospitalization insurance--can't remember if is part a or part b at the moment. Since then, my insurer (thru my husband's work) is denying medical claims until it is run thru medicare. Is this right, or is this the run around and I need to straighten it out? Why would everything go to medicare when I have only the hospitalization coverage? Thanks for any help. Jen
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

since you already have primary insurance in lyour name, they will bill your insurance first then bill your husband's insurance.

that is how we did it on dental insurance.

so i am sure it is the same with medical insurance.

jodie
  3. shalimac

shalimac New Member

I worked for one of the top 3 Health Insurance companies in the nation for 20 years..
    Jodi is absolutely correct. Medicare is your primary, but Medicare A is hospital, Medicare B is Professional. Where did you see the MD? Clinic, ER, Urgent Care Center, Outpatient facility?
    Generally, they bill Medicare first, and your secondary next.
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

I wanted to be equipped before i called the insurer. I read the policy and it appeared that I could remain insured by my husband's employer and the insurance would be primary and medicare secondary. I called the insurer this morning and they said it was their mistake, and that the insurance is primary, and medicare secondary. this will eliminate an additional layer of processing--yeah! I really didn't have the ability to deal with more paperwork and appreciate this outcome--hope there are not more snags along the way. Jen