Medicare Supplement....AFLAC vs. HMO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by AJME, Oct 11, 2002.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I am on disability and I have Aflac medicare supplement (plan F) which is good. It covers all excess expensives so basically I don't any out of pocket expenses. Only problem is I pay $244.00/month (in addition to 50.00 for medicare)and it is really hard for me to afford it nowadays. Aflac no longer offers supplement plans, I can can't change to a cheaper plan.....except if I go to another company.

I found a medicare supplement HMO plan for $40.00/month in my area. There are expenses involved and of course you have to see doctors in the HMO.

Can anyone tell me about your experiences with HMO?

Does anyone have any opinions on swinging it with just Medicare and no supplement plan?

Are there doctors that will accept whatever Medicare pays and don't go on a head hunt for the balance.

Thanks!
  2. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I am on disability and I have Aflac medicare supplement (plan F) which is good. It covers all excess expensives so basically I don't any out of pocket expenses. Only problem is I pay $244.00/month (in addition to 50.00 for medicare)and it is really hard for me to afford it nowadays. Aflac no longer offers supplement plans, I can can't change to a cheaper plan.....except if I go to another company.

I found a medicare supplement HMO plan for $40.00/month in my area. There are expenses involved and of course you have to see doctors in the HMO.

Can anyone tell me about your experiences with HMO?

Does anyone have any opinions on swinging it with just Medicare and no supplement plan?

Are there doctors that will accept whatever Medicare pays and don't go on a head hunt for the balance.

Thanks!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Medicare supplements are very difficult to find for folks on SSD Medicare. They are not a guaranteed-issue like those for people 65 and older. If you join the HMO and it goes out of business (most of the M/C HMO's have or have reduced their benefits to the point that it's hardly worth it) you will be without coverage and finding a supplement who will accept you may proved difficult, if not impossible. It all depends on whether you can pass the underwriting questions. The cost of your supplement is in line with other SSD Medicare supplements.

HMO's make their own rules and often limit the care that you have been used to with M/C and a supplement. For instance, Medicare will allow removal of cataracts and the supplements will cover what M/C doesn't. Some HMO's won't allow removal of cataracts until they are quite large. You may not need cataract surgery, but this is just one example of how HMO's restrick coverage. I would think two or three times before joining a M/C HMO.

I happen to have BC/BS HMO for the self employed, but regular HMO's are a whole different ball of wax than M/C HMO's. Regular HMO's can raise premiums without much hassle. This is not true with M/C HMO's. The red tape involved in operating a M/C HMO is one of the reasons so many get out of it. It's increasingly difficult to make a profit with them.

Love, Mikie