MEDICARE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by little, Sep 12, 2002.

1. little

little Member

If you can't work and you are getting SSD and MEDICARE,What percent of your medical expence does Medicare pay? Does it pay for your medicine? You are out of work for FM. Thank-you. GAIL
  2. little

little Member

If you can't work and you are getting SSD and MEDICARE,What percent of your medical expence does Medicare pay? Does it pay for your medicine? You are out of work for FM. Thank-you. GAIL
  3. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Not quite sure on everything but here goes:
    Medicare will pay 80% of the approved amount..
    Medicare does not pay for medication..
    I have Medicare (due to SSD) but it has to be my SECONDARY insurance, because I have a husband who has coverage that covers more than 100people..
    For me, it's a real hassle..All my Drs. say, Medicare should come first for me because I worked, and if I was still working my health insurance would come before my husbands..
    When I was approved my FM was not my #1 diagnosis.......
    Take Care...Hope I helped..........Donna
  4. PAT

PAT New Member

Do you qualify for MEDICAID? I don't know much about Medicare, but right now, I am qualified to receive Medicaid, and it covers everything. Doc visits, meds, all of it. The coverage can sometimes limit the types of meds I can have, and definitely which docs and even hospitals I can choose, but I cannot complain.I AM covered, and without it I would have nothing. I thought that most people who receive SSI got Medicaid. Like I said, I don't know much about it, but it may be worth checking in to. Patti G
  5. little

little Member

I get work-compensation. That pays for all doctors and medicine that pertains to work related things. I also get SSD and Medicare for other things. All that I have learned from coming to this site I beleive that I was miss diagnoused ( can't spell).I think that I should have been diag. with FM. The doctor took me out of work in 1987 with a repetative motion injury to my arms and shoulders and neck.I kept asking the doctor over the first couple of years. Why was I getting worst instead of getting better? The pain was spreading all over my body and I got more syptoms of which I now know as FM. He didn't have an answer. I moved to Flordia and went to a pain clinic beacuse I couldn't stand the pain.There I was diag. with FM. That was four years ago. I was wondering if I was re diag. with Fm. Would I be better off with just SSDandMedicae or just leave things alone. Gail
  6. dd

dd New Member

Medicare is great as far as covering all my doctor bills at 80% but it does not cover any meds. I have had Medicare for 1 1/2 years now. When I was approved for my SSD I had to wait for 6 months for the Medicare to kick in. Now the waiting period is 1 year for Medicare after being approved for SSD or SSI. I personally think that it is ridiculouls that it does not cover the meds. My husband is self-employed so the Medicare is the only insurance that I have. Before I was approved for the SSD I was receiving Medicaid, which does cover all meds. Once approved for SSD I was dropped from Medicaid because they said that I made too much money from the SSD. They took into account the money that I receive for my children also. By the way, the money that I get from SSD, including my children's portion, was only $2.00 above their regulations. I have written letters to the Governor and also to the SS administration trying to get the laws changed about the medication aspect of Medicare. My doctor wants me to take certain meds but I can't afford them. Without insurance my meds would be over $250.00 a month. So, for now I am taking herbal supplements and multi-vitamins.

Take Care,

Debbie
  7. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

It is my primary insurance & I have Medicaid as a secondary - my co-pay is only on prescriptions & usually a dollar or two. Medicare sends me a big book every year explaining what they cover - I'm sure you could call & request one.