medication lyrica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaquieb, Jun 20, 2006.

1. jaquieb

jaquieb New Member

Is anyone trying the medication Lyrica? With the new study out, it has helped some people with fm. Jaquie
  2. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

my doctor tried me on it after he argued with the insurance company about it. he had me on a very low dose of 50 mg. i said it didn't do anything and he took me off. he didn't do his homework on the drug the average dose is around 450 mg and you have to gradually work up to it. it may take time to work but my doc didn't take the time to find out. Angell
  3. carly1229

carly1229 New Member

I'm late in posting, but lyrica has helped me so very much with the pain. Not the severe type, just the everyday pain. I still have no relief from the fatigue. I have take lyrica since January and take 75 mg in the AM and 75 mg in the PM.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Hi there,

I have been taking Lyrica for about 4 months now. I take 75mgs three time a day (225mgs total for the day)

When I started taking it there were some side effects (blurry vision, fatigue, dizzyness, mild ankle swelling) but they all started to clear up very quickly and within 2 months were all gone. The only one that hung around any disturbing length of time was the blurred vision but none are bothering me now.

I am getting very good benefits from the Lyrica! So far it has helped me in the following ways:

- some decrease in overall pain and acheyness
    - less muscle spasms
    - sleep longer and sounder
    - reduced nausea, digestive problems and stomach problems (I believe due to muscles and nerves being calmed)
    - improved IBS

Because of all these I find I can go out and do more as I have more energy and less pain. I can do things I NEVER could have done before (like visit a museum). I have more time to spend with family/friends as I am not constantly in bed. My days are much more manageable.

Now I am not saying this has cured me cause it hasn't. I still have pain and I still have bad days. What Lyrica has done is make normal days more manageable and the bad days not quite so bad.

I would recommend trying it if your doctor thinks it would be good for you. Stick out any side effects if you can (under doctor supervision) to give it a good try.

Good luck.
  5. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

in the mornings if I need it. Zonked me out for about 4 days. He gave it to me for a more restful sleep after I told him I needed something to knock me out at night as I never get much sleep.

Like I said, it carried over to mid-morning for the first few days and now Im not sure what it is doing. I'll have to let you know in a week or so.

Suzette
  6. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

My doctor has talked about moving me from Neurontin to Lyrica. Has anyone used Neurontin and then been changed? I'm interesting in knowing whether there was a significant difference, what dosages of each you were on, etc.

Thanks!
    Pam
  7. Neurontin originally taking 600 in the morning and 600 in the evening. Then he said to stop neurontin and try lyrica as it works better and less side effects. So far I haven't started it, I am so leary of new meds and I am so exhausted as it is, I sure don't need any drug to make me more tired.
  8. jaquieb

jaquieb New Member

Dragon you mentioned Lyrica has helped you with your pain. Do you get head and neck pain? Has it helped with that? thanks, Jaquie
  9. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I get a lot of neck pain but not as much head pain. The Lyrica has helped make all of my pains more manageable.

10. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I was on lyrica 300/day for a while -- it honestly didn't seem to help that much for me, though I know a lot of folks have great results with it ( I have nerve pain from Lyme disease, which is why it was prescribed). I now take 100/day before bed, and that seems to help with sleep.

I think this may just be an individual body-chemistry thing -- two people with the exact same symptom can react very differently to the same dose of the same drug.