Medication Switch Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gerrijohnson315, Apr 27, 2006.

1. gerrijohnson315

gerrijohnson315 New Member

I have read about how some are taking Cymbalta, effexor, Wellbutrin, etc. My depression has gotten really bad as of late and two doctors want my primary dr to take me off of wellbutrin and put me onto Cymbalta. What are the withdrawl effects of coming off Wellbutrin? I am very nervous about my depression being so bad while on wellbutrin and what will happen to me when they wean me off and switch to a new med. Any suggestions? Recommendations??
    Thanks!
    Gerri
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Wellbutrin and Cymbalta work in entirely different ways, on different chemicals produced in the brain.

I would think that they could gradually decrease the Wellbutrin, while gradually working you up on the Cymbalt and avoid withdrawal, but ask the docs.

Wellbutrin, I think, control dopamine and norepinephrine. Cymbalta control serotonin and norepinephrine.

From what I have read, and heard repeated on here, and in the literature, Effexor is the absolute worst in terms of withdrawal, even when done correctly.

Cymbalta effects the same chemicals as does Effexor, but if Wellbutrin isn't helping you, then obviously or so it would seem, your depression may well be serotonin in basis and it would take a SSR to help you.

A friend of mine went on Wellbutrin, and she said it helped her depression some, but it made her have RAGE. I don't think RAGE is a good thing, personally.
  3. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Gerri-

I was on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for over 6 months and was told it was safe to stop cold turkey. I was on the lowest dose, so the doc said it was safe. I felt absolutely no different and had no side effects coming off it. I'm sure a higher dose is different.

I haven't been on anything for the past month or so, but my doc gave me samples of Effexor to try. I have yet to start though.

-GoAskAlice
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Coming off wellbutrin .I went on effexor next and that one I had to wheen off before I started my cymbalta.

Sue