Medication weight gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ABLUV, Jul 28, 2008.

1. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Hi, my Mom was recently diagnosed CFS and they gave her Elavil. Her appetite increased and she gained weight rapidly in 2 weeks time. So she told doc she couldn't take
    it anymore. She already had problem with weight management
    she didn't need help with putting on pounds. However, she
    cannot sleep well at night and she can't seem to wake up during the day; she takes melatonin but that's not helping-she either sleeps too long or not long enough. Mom also has FM pain that the doc says to manage with exercise. After exercise the pain subsides for about 2hrs then the fatigue and pain descend again.

Is there any anti-depressant or other med that will help my mother sleep and ease pain WITHOUT weight gain? Please help me find one.
  2. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Is that script? Does it cause weight gain? How much does it cost? Also, how much is Inositol?
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Unfortunately people react to meds differently and some people have weight gain from thier meds. Weight gain is a common side effect of the meds we use because the meds decrease out metabolism sometimes.

I take the prescription sleep med Halcion. This does not cause weight gain but it is also a prescription sleep med that doctors sometimes worry about prescribing.

Everyone is different though...lots of people have gained weight on Lyrica and I haven't gained a pound from it and I know of other people who haven't as just knowing that weight gain is a possible side effect does not mean that she will get that effect. I gained weight from Flexeril but a lot of people don't so just cause you get it from one med doesn't mean you will get it from another.
  4. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I just posted a note asking about weight gain from medication and then saw your note.

I take paroxetine (sp, generic) but my weight gain started before that.

Another thing to put on my to do list. I'll post what I find out.

5. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I just googled 'depression medication that does not cause weight gain' and got these results:

Wellbutrin is much less likely to cause the weight gain

Effexor and Effexor XR are more likely to cause weight loss

Fluoxetine does not cause weight gain

"The older class of antidepressants, called tricyclics or heterocyclics, are the biggest culprits for increasing appetite and weight. They include amitriptyline (Elavil), doxepin (Sinequon), imipramine (Tofranil), Nortriptyline (Pamelor) and clomipramine (Anafranil)."

"Antidepressants which do not generally cause weight gain include Effexor (venlafaxine), Paxil (paroxetine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine),Zoloft (sertraline), and Wellbutrin (bupropion)."

Unfortunately, I have been on Prozac, Zoloft, and am now on Paxil. Still fat.

Hope this info in helpful.

6. hensue

hensue New Member

I lost all of the weight I had gained due to zoloft or fibro. It is a very hard drug to get use to. I cannot take xl or just 50mg. I have to take the sr slow release. Or i hurt. I take one in the morning one around 2 pm. Not any later or it will keep you up. For about the first 3 months i had to take valuim to offset the nervousness and headache. It takes away my pain right away. The pain i have all the time not the pain if i have overdone it. If you ever get through the side affects of this drug and your body gets use to it. Which if i had not had the valium to calm me down when i first started i could not have taken it. It help me lose 40 to 45 lbs. I still have to lose about 20. It is a godsend for me. At night they give me a valuim and klonopin to sleep. It is the key also if you dont sleep you will hurt.
    Just my opinion
    What has helped me remember the slow release is the key also.
    If it revs you up to much i hurt.
    Hope it helps
  7. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Your feedback has been most beneficial. If anyone thinks of anything else to add feel free to input. This website is so helpful, isn't it? Thanx again...abluv