Medication

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nicolebr, Nov 28, 2002.

1. nicolebr

nicolebr New Member

Thank you all so very much for your posts...I appreciate them...Still alone, depressed in a bad living situation....but more frightened then ever because the depression is worse then ever...I know it is alot because I am so alone, anyone would be depressed.....

Does anyone know of a safe gentle antidepressent with little side effects...One problem is I am losing my hair...the doc says it is hormonal imbalance even though I am so young...I read that some antidepressants can cause hair loss...

Any help is appreciated.....Oh...one more thing how do you cope with the negative thoughts?
  2. nicolebr

nicolebr New Member

Thank you all so very much for your posts...I appreciate them...Still alone, depressed in a bad living situation....but more frightened then ever because the depression is worse then ever...I know it is alot because I am so alone, anyone would be depressed.....

Does anyone know of a safe gentle antidepressent with little side effects...One problem is I am losing my hair...the doc says it is hormonal imbalance even though I am so young...I read that some antidepressants can cause hair loss...

Any help is appreciated.....Oh...one more thing how do you cope with the negative thoughts?
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am so sorry and I do understand!
    I have had difficulty with every antidepressant I have been prescribed and I believe I have tried almost every one on the market. Lethargy and weight gain were the symptoms all of them caused me and I just couldn't exist with those additional problems! I hope you find one that works for you without all of these adverse effects because I know how bad the depression can be. I am depressed now and I know I should be on somethig, but I just feel HORRIBLE on these meds and I end up having to treat the symptoms the meds are causing me, too....that is just wrong. I cannot advise about the negativity except to say that having the love of Christ, my husband and family kept me going when I wanted so badly to die. Talking to others is very important for me, as I tend to become reclusive and anti-social. Don't become a hermit; it magnifies the issues and you will only get worse. This is what happens to me; I close up and isolate myself; I stop talking. All of my loved ones recognize a problem with me before I do. Keep those lines of communication open, if only with us here on the board. We can help you, but you need the loving arms of a loved one, as well. Please be safe and call for help if you start having suicidal thoughts or plans. PLEASE...I have been there and am blessed to be alive because my plan was foolproof and only God's intervention saved me. You're in my prayers, my friend. Keep in touch......

Hopes of health,
    Kady
  4. toots2

toots2 New Member

I can't even imagine having to deal with this condition without an antidepressant. I have taken Paxil for five years and had no problems at all but wouldn't suggest it to you as it is very difficult to stop it should you have a reason to later. There are many good ones out there even though most do cause weight gain and sexual problems too. However, I wouldn't stop taking one as it helps me in so many ways. Toots
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I take Effexor for depression. It seems to work quite well
    and it doesn`t make me gain weight like the amitriptyline
    did. I also take Klonapin. That helps with sleep, restless
    legs,nerves and anxiety. I take Ultracet for pain. This
    combination is working pretty well for me.

How to deal with the negative thoughts?... Silence that inner critical voice. Try to say as many positive things as you can in your self-talk. Repeat to yourself.."This
    too shall pass."

Check to see if there is a fm support group in your area.
    Also, keep coming to us when you need support and understanding. I`ve only been on this board barely 2 monthes but I`ve found so many things that help me and feel so much better. I was very depressed also when I found this
    board. It`s truely a lifeline and a blessing.

Take good care!
    Sandyz

[ advertisement ]