medications that work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kmkon, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kmkon

kmkon New Member

I'm curious which medications really seem to help. I'm on methotrexate and meloxicam. I have psoriatic arthritis along with fibro. These do not seem to be working. Just wondering what to suggest to my doc. Thanks.
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'd suggest looking through the "what worked for me" thread at the top of the page. People already put meds and treatments that work well for them there.

Hope that helps!
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there
    I've never even heard of the two meds you're taking. Are they for Fibro or for the arthritis.
    I think you'll find that we all are trying different things. It's pretty much trial and error and what works for one does not always work for another.

I have to take pain medication. I also take a muscle relaxer (Soma). I also take Topamax, recommeded by a pain mgmt Dr. It is in the same family as Lyrica and Neuronton, neither or which I could take because of side effects. The Topamax also helps with the horrible tension headaches I was having.

I was recently prescribed Klonopin. I also take Lexapro 10 mgs.

Some people need something to help them sleep, whether it be a natural remedy or a prescription medication. Thankfully the Topamax has helped me sleep for the most part so I don't need additional sleep meds.

What is/are your most troublesome symptom(s) that you are trying to get relief from? What other meds have you tried if any?

I don't know if that helps or not - as like I said, everyone is so different in what helps them.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Different meds help different people. So it's hard to say that "this" medication will work for you. There is a lot of trial and error in coming up with a system of meds that will work for you and your symptoms. I take quite a few medications myself...some for FM and some for other illnesses. Here is my long list:

Lisinopril (Hypertension)
    Zetia (High Cholesterol)
    Pantoprazole (Reflux)
    Metoclopramide (nausea & IBS management)
    Lyrica (pain and IBS management)
    Doc-Q-Lace (bowels)
    Oxycodone ER (pain management)
    Triazolam (sleep)
    Promethazine (nausea)
    Diazepam (muscle spasms)
    Hydrocodone/APAP (pain management)
    Skelaxin (muscle spasms)
    SMZ/TMP (Interstitial Cystitis)
    Fluticasone Propionate (post-nasal drip)
    Estrace Vaginal Cream
    C-Diazepam/Traumeel (Vulvodynia management)
  5. kmkon

kmkon New Member

thanks for your response. i was wondering since methotrexate hasn't worked for you, have you thought of trying to get off of it? I would like to also because of the fear of liver problems.
  6. kmkon

kmkon New Member

I take 8 methotrexate every week and although I don't know if they help the pain all that much, they really do help keep my psoriasis clear. I tried going off cold turkey (a really bad idea) about a month ago and the psoriasis on my scalp came back with a vengeance. I think it also sent me into a flare because my pain is worse than ever. So who knows, maybe it does work for the pain more than I thought. Other than my scalp and a few spots on my hips, the psoriasis is not so bad. Lately, I've been taking a half of hydrocodone if my pain is really bad at bedtime. That seems to help. I just applied for a handicap tag to use when I'm having a really bad day. I don't want to use it much though because at 47, I know people will look at me weird. Thanks for your suggestions. It helps to know there are others who deal with this insidious condition.
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have had good luck with most of my meds. I currently take Lyrica-for pain, Vicodin-for pain, Soma-muscle relaxer, Xanax-anxiety, Trazadone-Sleep and celebrex-depression.

Hope this helps you some, good luck crispangel