Medicine embarassment at work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by megchampagne, May 9, 2006.

1. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

I have found O24 Fibromyalgia extremely helpful with my fibro pain, and today is one of those horrific flare ups. (I came to work since I have to go to a radiology appointment anyways.)

So when I started having pain radiating from my spine, that's when I knew it was time to use the O24.

I went to the ladies' room and sprayed calves and the back of my neck, even though I need to spray my whole BODY...

I came and sat back down at my desk. I sit in a high-traffic area in a law firm. Almost immediately, people started complaining. "WHAT is that SMELL?" "OH! THAT is HORRID!" Blah blah blah.

Those of you who use this product know that O24 is an all-herbal product that smells like peppermint. It's actually, I think, quite a pleasant smell, especially compared to Ben Gay, Icy Hot, etc.

Horrified, I ran back to the ladies' room and tried washing it off (you can wash the product off after 20 minutes to get rid of the smell) and saw a lady in there who I heard complaining about the smell. So I told her it was my medicine and that it is the only thing that works for my condition, and is the only thing keeping me from howling out in intense pain.

She apologized, but I still smell like a candy cane, and the whole area smells like mint. I am so embarassed, because I'm sure everyone knows it's me. I emailed my mom, and she said "They'll get over it if they really want you working there" but I still feel awful.

This is one of those moments like on the Snickers commercials. "Want to get away?"
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

megchampagne:
    I do not think you have anything to worry about. It will blow over.

nyrofan
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I just bought the spray and the wipes. It's on sale this week here in Canada at Shoppers.

Boy, you are right about the smell. When I put it on my hubbie and kids head for the hills. It's strong. It even waters our eyes!! Also are you really cold for the first 1/2 hr. I'm shivering and put on more layers.

It's a strong smell but boy does it work. Next time put it on way before you get to work and try to wash some off that way you'll last most of the day.

My upper shoulders, neck and calves are the worst.
  4. Treca

Treca New Member

The first time I put it on I was like WOW and I only sprayed it once. If you have a stuffed up nose it will definitely clear it for you..LOL.

It is a very strong smell, but I agree that it's not as bad as people make it out to be. What is so bad about smelling peppermint?

I know that after awhile the smell gets less intense and it doesn't bother you so much. It's worth it to use it regardless of the smell because it does help with the pain A LOT.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I carry my very large bottle of pain med with me in my purse. If I leave it in the med cabinet my DH will take it for his back and I don't want the doc to think I take to much and DH should get his own meds, of course he would have to actually GO to the doc to do that!

One day as I left the office I had forgotten to zip up my purse. The office manager was walking out behind me and my purse strap caught on the door knob!

Things went every where, but that big old medicine bottle rolled right to her feet. She picked it up and gave me a look as I tried. To throw everything back into the purse. She handed me the bottle and I headed for the car in a big hurry.

I'm sure my face was bright red and she was wondering what kind of a drug addict I was but she never mentioned it. They know I have FM and seizures so maybe she understood the need.

Don't let them get to you. They probably wear perfume that doesn't do a lot for you either!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

OK I experimented today with the O24 since it's so strong I decided to try something.

I bought a little spray bottle, put half water and half essential oil (O24) and sprayed all over my body. It seems to have worked. No eyes watering and smell is minimal. This way I can spray more throughout the day. We'll see how it helps.

Cindy
  7. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Its twice as strong as Vicks and really helps but my husband never has a stuffy nose around me. Tell me about this O24 and where do I find it in Nashville, TN. I will try anything on those days that just keep getting worse.

Im so thankful for you that you are still able to work. I would give just about anything to go back to work. Maybe you could send out a memo to everyone explaining the smell or you could buy a mild peppermint candle and light it when you use the stuff(or buy an unscented candle and tell them it is pepperment and it helps you concentrate or something)

Suzette
  8. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I can't swallow pills. At age 38, that's pretty rare, and it's somewhat embarrassing. I've tried all the tricks, but it just ain't happenin'. And since I take about 8 different prescriptions every day, not counting supplements, taking meds is a royal pain in the you-know-where!

When I have to take meds at work, it's the old "crush and spoon" technique. I always pray no one walks into the kitchen area while I'm doing it. Whenever they do, the explanations are awkward, to say the least. :-(

9. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I'm in Canada and you can find at all drug stores in the pain relieving isle. O24 is a spray which has 7 essential oils that target pain

camphor oil, eucalyptus oil, aloe vera oil, peppermint oil ,
    rosemary oil , lemon oil and orange oil

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  10. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

... for the advice, y'all. I'm putting off using any today, at least until I go to physical therapy this afternoon.

You would think that people at a law firm would be more aware of harassment policy, etc. Right?

And yes, I am able to work, but HARDLY. I can only really do desk work and even that is extremely difficult. I'm starting to really worry for my health, and working will likely make my condition worse, but that is another topic. :)

Oh... And in Nashville, you could probably go to CVS Pharmacy. They carry all the O24 products. :) Or, you could go to cvs.com and order it from their website.

x o
    MC