Medicine has been changed to pristiq

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mjbean, Jan 29, 2009.

1. mjbean

mjbean New Member

I have been dealing with some anxiety since before Christmas I finally could no longer handle it so yesterday I quite my job . Who does this I feel so guilty because we need my income its not much but it helped. So now what do I do? sit around and wait for this med to work ???
    This is no time to be looking for a job, talk about anxiety I feel like I have made this situation worse..
    Does anyone know how this med works? I really need some help on this mess that I am in.
    Thanks mjbean
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

In fact, the manufacturer of Effexor XR changed just one small thing and is now calling it Pristiq because Effexor XR is about to go generic. My psychiatrist was telling me about it. He will not recommend it to people who are stable on Effexor because the medicine is basically the same.

Effexor/Pristiq are both for the treatment of depression/anxiety and work on brain chemicals. One thing you should know is that it doesn't work instantly and you should never go off this medication suddenly. The physical symptoms are very difficult if you do.

I have taken EffexorXR mostly now for six years and it is a very good medication for me. It helps with both but it has helped my depression amazingly.

Sounds like life right now is very tense for you. I guess you do have to wait for it to kick in, but you don't have to just sit around and wait. I'm sorry about all these things right now in you life. Hopefully in a few weeks this medication will do the trick for you.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

I have fibromyalgia and he has terrible anxiety and will not talk to other people major problems
    Cannot keep a job but we all know he is a hard worker. He lives in Nc the doc he sees is a smart dude and does seminars and other stuff very much believes in Fibromyalgia.
    I am so glad he found him! Yesterday was his first day on pristiq and maybe it was a placebo affect but i talked to him and he has a six week old baby girl he was keeping and he said he woke up the first time like a normal person and wanted to get up. When i talk to him he said he felt good. He sounds like he use to normal and not sad and hopeless the anxiety was killing him literally! I will call him like i said he had just taken it that day so we will se how he is doing.
    I think you will feel better right away we will see you are not suppose to gain weight. He had more energy he cleaned a terrible kitchen. I am going to call him and see you have to give it at least 4 weeks but it should kick in pretty soon! Dont feel guilty you have to fix this problem or it only gets worse and will make you physically and emotionally sick.
    Anxiety is hell!!! Dont let people think you are lazy i hate that. Only the people that have that much anxiety know how it is. You will get better!!!
    keep us posted how you feel