medicines: paxil vs. wellbutrin for pain relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rerich, May 2, 2004.

1. rerich

rerich New Member

I'm on paxil along with other pain meds for fibro, and I wondered if wellbutrin works just as well as paxil for anxiety and pain relief. I would like to get off the paxil because I think it might have caused my weight gain and hot flashes.

Any thoughts on this.

Linda

2. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Linda!

I'm currently on Paxil for FMS and have tried Wellbutrin in the past. Wellbutrin (also prescribed as Zyban for those who want to quit smoking) is easily tolerated by some people but I'm sure not one of them.

For me, it was a terrible experience - my heart raced and I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. Ironically, my more laid-back husband used Zyban to successfully quit smoking with no major side effects, so the impact of this drug apparently depends upon one's body chemistry.

Also, getting off Paxil can be tricky. I encourage you to do some internet research on Paxil withdrawal prior to actually going off this SSRI.

Though many doctors hand out Paxil and other SSRI prescriptions like they are Tylenol samples, few remember to tell patients never to stop taking Paxil suddenly and, instead, to taper off it gradually.

Hopefully, others will be along to post their experiences with these two drugs so you can form a more balanced opinion.

Best wishes,

Janice
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Please see my response to you under the other post.

Love, Mikie
  4. jbgoth

jbgoth New Member

I have been taking Wellbutrin for around 3 years now. It really works for me. I have never taken Paxil but i have used Zoloft.

When I first started Wellbutrin it was a little speedy but that passed. I just felt like a zombie on Zoloft.

Jordan
  5. angelisa337

angelisa337 New Member

Do you get headaches from wellbutrin? I was on 150xL mg then 2 times a day but had to get off due to head pain.
    thank you,
    angelisa337
  6. KewlJewLs

KewlJewLs New Member

I seem to get the "wellbutrin headache" that last for the whole duration of being on it. I have tried prozac in the past for pain management, but of course was numb. I really like how WB works, just can't seem to tolerate it to get through the headaches. My Dr. has worked with me on 150mg sr once a day or twice a day. Also tried 150 and 300xl, all with the same reaction, I can only go about a month with the constant head and jaw pain, before I finally give up.

I guess there are some people that are just destin to not beable to take it. I know I need to take something to help with the Fibro pain and mild depression I go though, but I haven't found anything I like or can tolerate.

XOxO
    Stacey
  7. angelisa337

angelisa337 New Member

I had to get off of Wb too. I have been taking this stuff called FybroResponse by: Source Naturals. It creates energy for me and helps with the Inflammation "soreness and pain." All it is magnesium,malic acid,MSM, ginko and other vitamins and herbs. The proHealth site we our on said to try adding malic acid ans magnesium to our diet, so I had nothing to lose. It is helping me. a women needs a minimum 300mg and a male 400 mg daily. Good Luck and God Bless U....
  8. angelisa337

angelisa337 New Member

I had to get off of Wb too. I have been taking this stuff called FybroResponse by: Source Naturals. It creates energy for me and helps with the Inflammation "soreness and pain." All it is magnesium,malic acid,MSM, ginko and other vitamins and herbs. The proHealth site we our on said to try adding malic acid ans magnesium to our diet, so I had nothing to lose. It is helping me. a women needs a minimum 300mg and a male 400 mg daily. Good Luck and God Bless U....