Meditation - it really works! and QiGong

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mbofov, Nov 16, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Member

I had a rather stressful situation. Will make a long story short - I spilled some ant trap stuff (what I thought to be poison) on my window sill, was freaking out about contaminating my kitchen (the box said to call local solid waste disposal unit for getting rid of the stuff!). I had delayed using any sort of poison for months and months but even the cold weather did nothing to stop the ants. I tried diatomaceious earth but that didn't stop them, only slowed them down a little.

So I put out the traps, spilled some stuff, stressed very severely about it and made myself meditate this morning though I didn't feel like it. And I did calm down, and then got a clear thought: call the company - this has to happen to other people. And to my immense relief, found out it is not even poisonous, only sugar and water and borax. Some regulation made them put that wording on the box. By the way, the product is Terro liquid ant bait - it works really well.

If I didn't make myself meditate, I don't know whether I would have been able to calm down enough to do what I needed to do. So I'm always telling people to meditate, and I'll say it again: Meditate! for stress, for everything. An excellent simple interesting book to get started is The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson. There's tons of other books out there too.

Also, saw an article about QiGong helping people with FM on the PH site today. I had traetments from a QiGong master many years ago and it did help but was pricey and had to drive too far. I took some classes and was doign it for awhile but didn't keep it up. But after seeing the article today, combined with my meditation experience, I think I will look into buying a QiGong DVD and give it another try. It certainly can't hurt! And there are QiGong exercises to do even if you're bedridden. It can be adapted I think for anyone.

Mary
  2. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I have been doing Spring Forest qigong by DVD since March. My health has improved tremendously. It takes some work because you need to do the active exercises (30 minutes) and the meditation for another 30 minutes daily for optimal benefit. The active exercises are very easy and gentle. You wonder how they could do anything but the changes are profound. Now, six months later, for the first time in years I no longer have the deep, heavy pain in my legs and my energy level is much better. What a relief!
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely consider the Spring Forest DVD -

I'm really glad to hear how much it has helped you!

Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2012]
  4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I have been doing that since late September and it has certainly improved my condition. I do like the founder and his method of trying to make it as simplistic as possible and remove all the mystery around it.

I also was meditating but stopped and have now begun meditating again using a different method because it is the method believed to be what Buddha taught the first monks called Vipassana Meditation. The meditation that monks do is typically this kind, and is what researchers are usually studying when they do scientific research I believe. I am glad to see others taking an interest in this methods of health improvement.

I don't know that I believe I will magically heal myself, but there is sufficient evidence showing benefits to the heart, lungs, brain, nervous system, and immune system. I think it is definitely worth trying as a compliment to whatever other treatments you are doing.
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I went to Spring Forest website and actually practiced the movement with your hands....circles? I'm going to order the DVD. I try to practice deep breathing also.

I'm open to all suggestions from those who are finding healing in various places. Thanks to Jam I'm now getting acupuncture 3 times a week. Who would have thought!!!!!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been using the Terro ant traps for years with no bad results. The good results are that the ants, given a few days, disappear. I don't get bugs down here but if it gets really rainy or cold outside, ants may come in. We have the small sugar ants and the even-smaller ghost ants. I always wash my hands after handling the traps.

You turned you lemons into lemonade by using meditation and finding out just how helpful it can be. Good for you!

Love, Mikie
  7. mbofov

mbofov Member

I went to the website, liked it very much, and am going to order their DVD/CD beginner's set. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Mary
  8. mbofov

mbofov Member

Well, I've been meditating on and off for several years and believe very strongly that it is a very powerful technique for centering oneself and dealing with stress. But sometimes I just don't feel like doing it, I'm not sure what, but it's just this experience with the ants and the "poison" brought home to me again just how valuable and powerful meditation is.

I cannot recommend it highly enough for dealing with stress. Better than valium! :)

My ant population is definitely down compared to a couple of days ago. I've been under siege for probably 5 months, avoiding poison, etc., and wish I had found these traps sooner! I just didn't know there were non-toxic, effective ant traps - I just assumed they all were poisonous. I tend to have the most ants when it's hot, and we had a very hot, very long summer. Usually they disappear when it first freezes, but not this time.

Mary
  9. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

it's saved me so many times, for sure when a depression hit me about 10 yrs ago and I was going to a meditation group in Malibu, feeling depressed going out and coming back uplifted..depression was gone.

So, glad you made it work for you with your incident...too bad EVERYONE doesn't use it...it's easy and free. jam
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Change our brain waves and can be very healing. It can be difficult to get into the meditation mode but it becomes easier with practice. In Psalms, it reads, "Be still and know that I am God." I love that. It's the essence of meditating. To me, meditating is just letting go of all that weight we carry around on our shoulders. Once we clear out all that stuff, we can tap into a level of consciousness in which all kinds of good vibes come through.

Love, Mikie
  11. mbofov

mbofov Member

Very well said! :)

12. sunflowergirl

and mentioned I thought I might try Chi Gong......she got a freaky look on her face and told me NO. Not with my neck troubles.....cervical stenosis. But I am going to order the relaxing CD from him.
  13. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I don't see why she woul dhave a problem with it and what your neck problems have to do with it. People with neck and back problems are some of the common people that turn to Qigong. The reason I can think of for her objection is that she thought you meant Tai Chi which is a type of Qigong but can be more physically demanding, depending on the type.
  14. sunflowergirl

She said because of the different positions my head would be put in. I came away thinking maybe she thought yoga, which I can't do. It's my understanding that Qigong is a very slow movement. She is a chinese doctor and sometimes we have a communication problems.
  15. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Mary,

When I was actively working as a personal trainer, I mostly had disabled clients and was always looking for a program that was gentle but effective enough to improve health.

The best program I have found is called Y-Dan. It's a form of Tai Chi that was developed for the Chinese Imperial families. The whole sequence takes about 20 minutes and is both relaxing and invigorating. The music on Chris Wong's DVD is beautiful and each move is shown individually in slow motion, then put together for the whole sequence in order. It's very easy and much can be done sitting.

When I first started doing Y-Dan I was recovering from encephalitis and was so disabled I could not even get through the first few moves. So I sat in a chair and just did the deep breathing along with each group of repetitions. After a few weeks I was able to add a new move at a time until I had improved so much I could go straight through the routine.

If you do a search for Y-Dan, it will come right up.

Jan
  16. mbofov

mbofov Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I have already ordered the Spring Forest DVD (it comes with a book and a CD for meditation as well) for qigong, so will be working with that for now.

But I do appreciate the suggestion!

Mary
  17. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Mary,

I just started Qi Gong and love it! I also do better (a lot better) when I'm meditating regularly.

Warmly,

Laurie
  18. mbofov

mbofov Member

I was reading about the difference between Qi gong and tai chi, and essentially it seems that qi gong is a practice to cultivate qi, and tai chi uses qi gong in its movements - I'm not explaining it very well but there's more on-line.

But what I came up with is that I think I would do better with qi gong right now because it is less physically demanding than tai chi, and I crash regularly when I over do it. I don't build up stamina - e.g., able to do a little more each day if I go slowly - nope, I have the same limit all the time.

But if I ever reach a point where my stamina starts to increase with practice, then I will definitely consider tai chi, or yoga, something besides resting all the time! :)

Mary
  19. mbofov

mbofov Member

I'm really glad to hear you love Qi Gong! Are you using a DVD or going to a class, or using a book? I'm curious to know what you're using. I will be using the Spring Forest materials when they arrive, but would like to know what works for others too.

I also do much better when I meditate regularly - I can feel it when I miss it!

Best wishes,

Mary
  20. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Our local Cancer Center offers free classes for patients and caregivers. (My husband is battling cancer). They offer a weekly Qi Gong class that we both appreciate. The instructor is an acupuncturist from Los Angeles. He has a DVD in the final production stages and I'm anxious for him to get that out so we can practice more regularly. He classifies his style as "longevity" Qi Gong. I think it would be great for our community as well since it's geared toward those with health limitations.

I had read about the benefits of Qi Gong in Teitebaum's book "From Fatigued to Fantastic" over 8 years ago. But until now I wasn't able to find a class setting offering Qi Gong. I am hearing more about it now, though.