meds after surgery sure helped my fibro--what do you think?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kevieb, Sep 11, 2005.

1. kevieb

kevieb New Member

i had an abdominal histerectomy on sept.1---even while i was still on demerol and toradol for pain---my heels hurt lying aginst the mattress of the hospital bed----but, i didn't have any headaches from lying down. i went home on vicodin 750. the second night i was home and tried to go to bed my back hurt and my neck hurt---had to get up, but for the most part, while i was on the vicodin my fibro symptoms were so much better, plus, it was not as constipating as the darvocet that i usually take. now that i have been going back to darvocet, my legs are starting to ache again, and i am getting headaches again. what do you suppose is the most likely scenario here? have i just taken the darvocet for so long that it just isn't as effective for me anymore? is the vicodin just a better med for me because it isn't as constipating and doesn't make it hard to pee like darvocet can? do you suppose maybe i was just doing better because i was pretty dilligent about taking pain meds every 4 hours? i see my gyno for my 6 week check this friday and will go over this with him---i am thinking that maybe changing meds might be a good idea. will docs give vicodin to take on a regular basis for fibro pain?
    christine
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

My old gyno would have for a while and he did but he hated every time I would call and begg for some thing to help me with this horrid pain, headaches , legs acheds, I called a gp and the was no wa in he$% that he is willing to do this as it would reaise his malpratice insurance.

I now go to a pain doctor and I am on much stronger pain meds than you are but he is really good and gives me the meds I need without my having to beg and whine.

I hope and pray that your doctor is understanding about your fibro and that you can tell him that it makes your fibro will better he might but I would not bet onit.

Hugs, Rosemaire
  3. nje

nje New Member

YOU DIDN`T SAY WHETHER YOU HAD ANOTHER DR. FOR THE FIBRO.EITHER YOUR GYNO DR. OR YOUR FIBRO DR. SHOULDN`T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH PUTTING YOU ON VICODEN,MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD ARE ON A PAINKILLER OF SOME SORT. I DON`T SEE HOW PEOPLE THAT SUFFER LIKE ME COULD STAND TO BE WITHOUT THEM. MOST DRS. WILL GIVE YOU PAINKILLERS UNLESS THEY BELIEVE IN CRUEL AND HARSH PUNISHMENT,LOL TELL THE DR. HOW MUCH BETTER YOU FELT AND ASK TO BE PRESCRIBED TO SOME.
    IF HE WONT GIVE THEM TO YOU,FIND ANOTHER SYMPATHETIC DR. WHO WILL.MY FM IS SO BAD I SHUDDER TO THINK OF WHAT I WOULD HAVE TO ENDURE WITHOUT THEM.SOME PEOPLE WITH FM MAY CAN GET BY WITHOUT PAINKILLERS,BUT MINE IS SO BAD I JUST HAVE TO,ITS THE ONLY WAY I CAN EVEN WALK OR GET UP AND DOWN WITHOUT DOUBLING OVER IN PAIN. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT AT THE DRS. MAY GOD BLESS YOU. NJE