meds and weight gain ?please read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Sep 13, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

please no one get offend by these ?im seriosley trying to figure things out,
    how many of you haave gained weight from a med?
    what kind of med is it?
    dose the med help ypu alittle or alot or a grate deal?
    if any of you stop taking the med that made you gain did you losse any weight?
    im just wondering because so many say that they gain weight from meds but i never here anyone say that the med helped them so grate that they must take it
    i would think that this should be a unexceptable side affect,sence then drs and others tell you that if you loose weight youll feel better.
    thanks for your help
    kara
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

please no one get offend by these ?im seriosley trying to figure things out,
    how many of you haave gained weight from a med?
    what kind of med is it?
    dose the med help ypu alittle or alot or a grate deal?
    if any of you stop taking the med that made you gain did you losse any weight?
    im just wondering because so many say that they gain weight from meds but i never here anyone say that the med helped them so grate that they must take it
    i would think that this should be a unexceptable side affect,sence then drs and others tell you that if you loose weight youll feel better.
    thanks for your help
    kara
  3. little

little Member

I was on Paxil for 18 months and gained 55 lb. Usually 3lbs a month. The doctor never said a thing. I finally went off it because of the side affects. I stopped gaining and started to loose. I've been able to loose 21 lbs. It maybe slow but at least it is comimg off instead of going on. The doctor has given me celexa.I haven't taken it because the pharm. said it is the same as paxil. For now I'll stay off drugs. Paxil was 10mg. I was on 20mg, but couldn't keep my eyes open. I hope this helps Gail
  4. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I gained weight from paxil, about 20 lbs in less than a year. I just started new meds, the weight gain being one of the reasons. I realized I wasn't going to be happy if I continued to gain weight.
  5. roro

roro New Member

I gained 40 pounds in 3 months from effexor. Went off it and lost it all, it took a while tho.
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I have gained weight from nearly every med. I've ever taken...this would include all antidepressants, antihypertensives, steroids and pain meds. This has been a horrible side effect for me over the years.
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

My doc at the headache center said i know you don't want to gain weight but, you must weigh the pros and cons. It seems antidepressants do it the most. It is a real bear.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I took Paxil for 4 yrs and slowly gained almost 100 lbs.! When I first started to gain, I figured I'd rather have the extra weight than to be depressed and crying all the time. So I continued to take it. After 4 yrs I was still gaining weight. I switched from Paxil to Zoloft and lost almost 70 lbs on the Suzanne Somers program. I can't seem to lose any more and wonder if these extra 30 lbs are from the Zoloft and other meds I take. I don't know.

Pepper
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I gained 46 lbs. from Elavil, 9 lbs. from Doxepin, 13 lbs.from Inderal, and 22 lbs.from Cenestin.
    I starved off 46 lbs. but gained back 54.
    After a few other small ups and downs, the end result was what I call my "perpetual pregnancy" and a weight that is 63 lbs. higher than before the FMS,with a waistline that is 14 inches larger than before FMS.
    I still take Xanax, which definitely makes me hungrier. The other drugs just seemed to put weight on me without my doing any extra eating, but the xanax makes me want to eat more. It's an awful trade off. I'm stealing from my life span to feel better and more functional now.
    Klutzo
  10. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Allhart
    I took Elavil for 6 months for help with sleeping problems. I gained almost 30 pounds. I felt awful and as I am only 5'1, I really looked terrible. I finally took myself off the dumb things and have been dieting and exersizing 2 or 3 times a week. I have lost 14 lbs and have a ways to go but I feel some better. The pain never really leaves but I have learned to cope and do accupuncture for burning pain in arms and legs. Really helps, it also helps with the ankle swelling. I exercise at a place called Curves. It only takes 1 half hour and has light resistance machines. I didn't think I would be able to do it, but my Sister-In-Law with MS does it also and loves it. We all just limp along as best we can and sometimes something we do helps us. Losing some of those pounds has helped me a great deal. Good luck to you.
    LassieCass "Sandy"
  11. allie2

allie2 New Member

Hi. I was a size three two months ago and weighed 105. I have been taking nortriptyline for the past couple of months. I now am up to a size seven and weigh 130. The medication does not help me whatsoever. It actually constipates me which aggrivates a current stomach condition, keeps me awake at night, and makes me forgetful and confused. I did stop taking it and have slowly been dropping the weight off. I am asking another doctor to change my meds because the rheumatologist has not even after I told him these things. Any suggestions on what I should take?

Thanks
    *allie*
  12. allhart

allhart New Member

thank you all for responding i to did gain weight from paxil 6 pounds in 4 weeks the med made me feel werid and was not helping me sleep so i didnt see any benfit for me ,it just seems to me that drs are so desprate to help us and we are so desparte for help we ending up doing things that my hurt us in the long run,the best thing i have took for depression was st johns wort but i qnly have brief times of depression,i realy belive that gaing weight from a med should not be tolarted unless the benifits are grate,weight gain can increase depression so how come almost all antidepressents make you gaian weight?i plan on wrighting some of the makers of these drugs because i have severl friends who feel like they can not stop taking these meds but are very upset at there weight there has to be a better way,
  13. JannyW

JannyW New Member

from Zyprexa, which was given to me for sleep. I packed on over 10 lbs in less than a month! You'd better believe I stopped taking it ... now back on Pamelor for sleep.

I also gained a little weight while I was on Paxil, but that may have been in part due to my approaching menopause.

Jan ^v^
  14. krisiee

krisiee Member

I took elavil for 2 yrs and was huge then I went off and lost 80 lbs. Now I am on celexa 40 mgs and they said it doesnt cause weight gain but since april I have gained 20 lbs. Anyone else with weight gain from celexa I wonder??
  15. SaraD

SaraD New Member

I had been on amitryptalene and they gradually increased my dosage. Now I am on 100mg and can't believe the weight. I am also a small person (I have had 4 children) and still weighed the same as I did in HS after having them, I equated that to the thyroid imbalance. Now since the ami has been increased I can't wear anything... The doctors just say, ohhh you needed more meat on your bones anyway..
    I am thinking I am just going to quit the meds before it gets out of hand. It is so nice to hear though that other people are out there and dare to talk about it and others are hear to listen. Thanks.
    Sarad
  16. kadywill

kadywill New Member

As I mentioned earlier, I've gained from numerous meds, and Celexa was one of them, I'm afraid.....sorry!
    You know what though? I've been off all my Diet sodas for a week and I've been drinking water and my appetite has really diminished!!!! There can be no other cause for this! What a hoot....THIS is ridiculous...I was drinking the stuff since 1974 to be thin!!!!! Live and learn.....
  17. saffie02

saffie02 New Member

HI KARA WHEN I STARTED ON PAXIL I STARTED GAINING WEIGHT LIKE CRAZY.I GAINED ABOUT 75 POUNDS .MY DR CHANGED MY ANTIDEPRSSANT TO EFFEXOR AND I DID NOT WANT TO EAT AS MUCH.DEPRESSION MAKES US GIRLS WANT TO EAT ANYWAY.TALK TO YOUR DR. MAYBE YOU DO NEED A CHANGE IN YOUR MEDICINE.
  18. Lorene

Lorene New Member

Hi, Kara: Yes, I had experienced weight gain on Doxepin but found it very helpful as far as depression and being able to sleep. I had been on it for about 8 years, and only recently, have I begun to taper off due to the gain. I am subscribing to Prohealth newsletter(free) publication and a Dr. Caruso, MD recommends giving 300 mg. of 5-HTP daily, which reported a reduction of pain symptoms and improved sleep. Go to www.ImmuneSupport.com for more info on receiving the newsletter. I have stopped taking the Doxepin and switched over to 5-HTP (available at the health food store - costs $19.95 for 60 caps) and have now been on it for ONE week. I could tell a big improvement in how I felt overall -- more energy, SLEEPING, food cravings are diminishing and I am beginning to laugh again. I hope and pray that it lasts! 5-HTP is a natural source and a precurser of tryptphan which elevates the mood and raises serotonin. I am hoping to lose some weight as I continue.
    Good luck to you. FM is a real battle! God bless!
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

These med caused me to put on about 40 pounds. I now take Klonopin and my weight has plateaued. It may be because my doc has put me on Synthroid even though my labs were in the normal range. Even with the Synthroid, my labs are still normal.

My docs never told me about the side effects with Elavil and Flexeril. Shame on them.

Love, Mikie
  20. herblady

herblady New Member

i gained huge amounts of weight on lithium and depakote. after being taken off of depakote i lost 15 lb. without even trying. the neurontin doesn't seem to cause weight gain. cindi