Meds Every Day or AS NEEDED?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Sep 22, 2009.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I'm curious, how many of you take your medications on an "as needed" basis or take them as perscribed every day?

I'm on so many, that if I take all of them I feel like a zombie. I usually don't take my pain medication unless I need it (hydro and zanaflex). My doctor says to take them all every day so I won't get in as much pain. I want to be able to feel emotionally and physically and lead as normal a life as possible (don't we all).

I'm in a really bad fibro flare and my fatigue is horrible..of course I'm taking everything now to get out of it. But, I did have a good summer (hardly no pain) and I didn't take much meds then. I don't know what to do!

What is your way?
  2. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

unfortunately, I have to take mine as prescribed, otherwise I wouldn't be able to move, but I also have back problems in addition to FM & CFS. That being said, as long as it's not a long acting med, like an anti-depressant or blood pressure med, etc. you should be okay to take as needed. A note on this however; they may take away your pain meds if you don't refill them as you should. In other words, you should refill them as if you are taking them as prescribed. A friend of mine had quit filling her pain meds on time every month, (sometimes she didn't fill them at all) and they took them away, as she didn't need them (in their view, which makes sense if you think about it). They track all of this stuff. The zanaflex is a muscle relaxer as you know, so I don't think they'd mess with you on that. Its up to you, I competely understand not wanting to swallow pills!
    Good luck,
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The only med I have that I take as needed only is my Xanax which I hardly ever need. The pain pills I have to take every day or almost every day and my script is low, only 30 pills. But as the other poster said, I fill them when they are ready to be filled even if I have some left but that is mostly because I like to have extra if I can just in case since I only get 30 a month and sometimes need more.

As for someones pain meds getting taken away because they don't need them AS MUCH is ridiculous. Why not give less pills? If you are taking, on average, 15 a month instead of 30, doesn't it make sense to give 15 instead of NONE! You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Take too many and you are labled an "addict", take too few and they get yanked??? What a messed up world we live in!