Meds for fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littlelupie, Mar 4, 2006.

1. littlelupie

littlelupie New Member

Hello Everyone,

Saw my nuero last week and he is taking me off of the amitrypline and going to start me on a new medication called Cymbalta. He said that he wants to see if it helps me the the nuero pain I have but that it is being found to help fibro. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet and if so od ouy like it.

God Bless,
    Deb
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

hello, this is my first post. i have just been lurking the last few days trying to read all the posts. I have fibro, cfs, migraines, back problems etc...i just had to respond when i read your message! i was on cymbalta for almost a year.It definately helped with my pain. The burning muscle pain and the deep joint pain and the feeling of swollen lymph nodes under my arms. oh, and the low grade fevers went away. unfortunately i began to crave sweets like i would die i didn't have a bowl of ice cream...i gained 50 lbs (on a small 125 lb frame) and i was having hot flashes and uncontrolable sweating...like my hair was always wet...so gross i know..and i would be ashamed when i would talk to someone and the sweat would be running down the side of my face....i just wanted to die...i live in a northern climate...serious winters and i would be in a tank top (when i was at home)so, i had to quit...i just couldn't handle the heat and was afraid i would keep gaining weight....i also think that the cymbalta helped my moods ....i also suffer from depression and it did help that too...one thing to mention, i am someone who gains weight easily from medications....normally i am naturally thin, can eat whatever, but i get on certain meds and bam! i pack on the pounds...amitriptalyne(spelled incorrectly), effexor, and the cymbalta have done it...i can't think of others but i know there have been quite a few, i just didn't stay on them for long...the cymbalta made me feel better so that is why i lasted so long on it... so, that was the good and bad for me. one more thought...i have been off the cymbalta for about 2 months and have only lost 10 lbs....i was hoping for a miracle weight loss when i went off...silly me! hope that this helps you! bye!
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i didnt mention my dosage which was 30 mgs twice a day and i didn't have fatigue so here is another example of how everyone reacts differently....too bad we can't predict how a med will affect us....it would save us all alot of time, misery, and cash !!!

good luck!!
  4. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i recently got diagnosed with FM in the last two months,
    and since getting diagnosed i've started on cymbalta.
    it started helping with my depression almost the day i started it,
    i was crying almost everyday.
    and now i rarely do anymore.
    i was also in a horrible migraine cycle when i started it,
    and it ended the migraines, for the most part.
    i haven't noticed a huge increase in the reduction of pain,
    but then again ive only been sick for around six months,
    and my pain had gradually been increasing until i went on cymbalta,
    so maybe it did help and i just didn't notice =]
    i haven't gained any weight on it...
    but i AM having hugeee sugar cravings,
    though i'm not sure if i had it before i started the cymbalta.

i'm on 20 mg {the lowest dose} and supposedly it's supposed to start helping soon. i am happy with the antidepressant-ish and migraine preventative results i'm getting though.

5. littlelupie

littlelupie New Member

Thank ouy for all of ouyr replies.....I am currently on Amitrypline....but i have hashimoto thyroid and it hasn't been uncontrol for over 6 months. The amount of weight gain I've has been horrible.

My nuero wanted to try Cymbalta because of the fibro and to see if it will help with my nuero. problems also. I was on 100 mg of amitrypline and still having both fibro and neuro prolbems. Doctors didn't want to go any higher because of my weight gain.

I'm hopin that the cymbalta helps....I really need some relief and without weight gain ......I can't afford anymore weight. I'm already 80lbs over weight now. :(

Right down I'm decreasing my amitrypline so I'm not sleeping well and starting to have more nuero problems. I am on a 3 week decrease to get off of it....this shoubld be fun.

Deb
  6. Levismom

Levismom New Member

I recently was put on Cymbalta for depression AND Fibro pain (about a month ago) and I'm feeling so much better than I have in years!!! I sure am hoping it's the Cymbalta and not just a fluke of having a good week! I'd love to have found a medicine that helps me so much with pain... not to mention the depression and NO weight gain with this one!!!

I say go for it, give it a try! Not every medicine works the same on every person, but I'm all for it now that I've been on it for a month!!!
    Levismom