Meds.... Generic vs Name Brand? What is your experience?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Dec 11, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

A medication I've been taking for awhile is now available as a generic, which will save me $30 on the prescription.

This is a hormone prescription, so I'm not sure about switching to the generic. The money savings is tempting, but I'm not sure. I know the 'party line' is that the generics are the same, but hormones can be touchy in their manufacture, and the fibro makes me sensitive to changes in meds as well.

Has anyone here had any experiences, good or bad, with generic as opposed to name brand hormones?

I would really appreciate your comments and help with this question.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Usually generics are just as good as brand names. But, your right when it is a hormone doctors are not too sure. I would think a lot has to depend on the type of hormone. Years ago when I took estrogen in pill form the brand name was out of stock. My pharmacist found the same estrogen in a different brand (generic) and I had less side effects.

There has been lots of controvery over thyroid brand name vs. generic. A lot of doctors are not wanting to use generic.
  3. krchamp

krchamp New Member

I haven't noticed any difference. Just more $ in my pocket which is always a welcomed change. Generics are suppose to be just as good as the name brand. Hope this helps :eek:)

Kristi
  4. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi BethM,

For me, overall, I have not noticed any difference at all and ALL of my meds are now generic. The trick is to find the "good" generic brands.

I, too, used to hear that brand names were so much better, until I actually started working in the medical field. Since then I've had the "inside track," with working in hospitals and such and most of the other docs and nurses and EMTs/paramedics agree that generic meds are usually the SAME as brand name.

They really have the SAME ingredients most of the time and the only difference is that the brand name is more fancy in its packaging/ads-that's why it's more expensive so that we can pick up the tab on those. I guess the way that you can look at it is that since generic meds don't have to spend so much money on advertising and packaging, they will usually put the money into putting out good products.

I think that most of the time if someone thinks that the generics are not working as well, it's psychosomatic, although I'm sure that this is NOT the case always. I think that when someone truly feels that something really is not working as well for them, that it may BE a crummy generic brand; ask to try a different generic brand!

There really are differences in different brands of generics! Most pharmacies are really good about buying the "good" generics, though, as they don't want patients/customers to come back complaining...

Take care...I hope that helps...

K

PS-At worst, you could try out the generic and if you truly feel that it isn't working as well as the brand, tell your pharmacy. Recently, my husband picked up the crummy generic version of Norco and I had to call my pharmacy and complain, asking them to take the crappy Norco back. I had to threaten them, telling them that I would have my doc call to set them straight...that we enough for them to "happily" exchange the meds. (There's an HMO of ya, though....sigh.)
  5. mary124

mary124 New Member

I've never noticed the difference between generic and brand name medications, except the price. Almost half of my are generic.
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

your replies are encouraging. Not paying for fancy packaging and saving money makes sense to me, as long as the quality is the same.

I appreciate your replies!

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. chris350

chris350 New Member

My dr. told me that to be a "generic" the medicine only needs to contain 80% of the strength of the name brand medicine. I could tell a difference with the duragesic patches but they are so expensive the dr. just uped my dose. Klonpin's generic is not as good. Certain generics of Ritalin are stronger than others.

I guess it depends on the person, medicine, and cost.
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I noticed a massive difference when my pharmacy switched my Wellbutrin to generic w/out telling me. it took 3 days for me to notice the pills were slightly different and that's why I felt like crap and suddenly felt like my antidepressant wasn't working.

All my other meds are generic and I've noticed no difference though.

Jeanne
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Cheney once said that Klonopin is better than the generic. I think it was Cheney. I've tried both (with a variety of generics) and not noticed a difference.

I don't take that many prescription meds, and the Klonopin is the only one that has a generic available, unfortunately.