Meds like Provigil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janasw1, Feb 27, 2007.

1. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I recently started taking Provigil, I'm not sure yet if I like it or not, but if I do I've run into a bit of a interferes with birth control pills which I NEED since it's the first BC pill I've found in 4 years that's helped with the AWEFUL cramps I get...

ANYWAY my question is...Are there any drugs out there similar to provigil? And anyway, does Provigil really help with fatigue or is it just fake "awakeness" and not actually energy?

2. kbak

kbak Member

My sis takes provigil, I do white tea in the morning. We both have the same energy level. I found that having some caffine in the morn, or mabe even afternoon, and I do find through the day.

Getting my caffine in the form of white tea, which is higher in antioxidents then green tea, is a much healthier alternative to provigil for me.

Most people on provigil love it. I'd rather spare my liver and kidney's.

Take care,
  3. forfink

forfink New Member

Saw a comparison health segment on TV between Provigil and caffeine drinks. Guess what? According to the professionals, the affect is the same.
    You can either drink lots of coffee or take caffine pills and get the same result as Provigil. This was a study done for soldiers and they were given Provigil to stay alert during long hours of combat.
    I myself take about 100mg of Provigil in the morning and prefer it to caffeine. Just a choice one can make on what feels better for their own body.
  4. biggggal

biggggal New Member

Hi there... I'm very new to these boards, but wanted to say something about provigil.

My neurologist had me on provigil for a few months. I found that it did indeed help with the fatigue, in fact, I called it "my godsend". BUT after about a month and a half to two months of using it, I began to have a bad reaction to the medication. I was constantly flushed and then bagan having high fevers. The neurologist took me off the medication for a couple of months -- in which the fevers and flushing went away. When I attempted a second try with the provigil, the flushing and fevers reappeared.

I do believe that provigil works, it's just unforunate that I was unable to tolerate the side effects of the medication.

I hope it works for some of you out there.

5. TerryS

TerryS Member

I tried taking Provigil. It made me feel sick. It DID keep me awake, but it didn't help my fatigue. And, actually, after taking it a couple of days it didn't even keep me awake any more. I quit taking it.

I also saw the 20/20 program where they talked about Provigil. The military did their own study and found that taking caffeine was just as effective. And I do have an autoimmune liver problem, so I don't need to take meds if I don't really need them.

But I know an awful lot of people love Provigil.

6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I'm not sure I believe that report about getting the same effect from caffeine.

I agree with the person who said you have to do what feels best for your body.

I love coffee and used to drink a lot, but had to switch to decaf.

If I drink caffeine it makes my movement disorders worse, makes my heart race and pound and makes my stomach hurt.

So I have eliminated caffeine.

I've been taking Provigil about 3 weeks. It has made an amazing difference in my energy level and also it seems to make me able to focus better and elevates my mood. I've not had any side effects.

Do I like the fact that it takes a drug to do that? No. But it's the best for me at this point in my life.

From the research I've done, there is no generic form available of Provigil. Some other drugs that have been used to give energy are amphetamines such as diet pills, alderall, etc. Amphetamines have side effects too. I've tried them in the past and they make me too jittery and shaky.

I found this website to be very helpful when I researched Provigil

Of course you can put provigil in the search engine (like google or whichever you prefer) and find lots of informatioin about it. You can even put it in the search area on this website and see what others have said about it on this board.
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

I'm glad the Provigil works so well for you. I was hoping for the same, but it just didn't work with my system...made me really sick.

Anyhow, as far as that military study, we do have to keep in mind that it was our GOVERNMENT that did the study...enough said!!! (By the way, I've been in the military, as had my husband, ex-husband, and, we've been behind the scenes...I don't know how we manage to defend this country so well...scares the crap out of me!).

8. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I just hope it keeps working, as it's the closest thing I've had to normal in a long time. I still have the pain but just having the horrible fatigue lifted has helped greatly.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you and hope you find something that does.

Our bodies just don't cooperate with us. First we get these illnesses and then the meds don't work!
    We're all unique.
  9. saved630

saved630 New Member

I just started provigil a couple weeks ago and I'm a Janitor and it has helped about 40% for about 3 hours. And believe me I can hardly do my job.
  10. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

My rheumy keeps insisting that I go get a sleep study so he can send a claim to the insurance company for approval for Provigil. Personally I really dont think its worth it.

He has put me on Ritalin...since I do not have ADD it keeps you awake and basically does the opposite of what it would do for someone that had ADD.

I find it to be very effective. I do not nap anymore. It works for me.

Hope this helps.

11. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

i hear you on the liver and kindneys...
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I picked up the following comments from a forum on Provigil. These people had various medical conditions like MS, Narcolepsy, post drug addiction, Lyme disease etc.

Perhaps how people react with this drug depends on their existing medical conditions. I just pulled some random responses from the "side effects" and "comments"

I know most of the response looks positive, but this IS just a forum. I looked for some negative response but found little. The responses look so good on comments, you would think it is the drugmaker posting, but I doubt that....

One thing mentioned is not taking it too late in the day or it might cause insomnia. I know coffee is also a stimulant but for those with sensitive stomachs, we can't tolerate coffee. Maybe caffeine pills, but I don't want a racing heart either. For everyone, it is always "trial and error".

As respects to Side Effects:

Response 1

It made me hyper for the first two days but in a good way. It was more energy than I had experienced in years. I don't remember much else from the early symptoms. It is most effective for me when taken at the same time daily -- when I get up. If I take it too late it produces insomnia.

Once I accidentally stopped taking it for a week or so and the effects were immediate -- extreme lethargy, sleepiness, vivid dreams. I thought I was coming down with something but it went away as soon as I restarted the medication. I have heard that it is not as effective for some people if they stop taking it and restart it again but this has not been the case for myself.

Response 2

Mild nervous foot taping, etc. Better sleep.

Response 3

I take half a pill a day. A full pill and I can't sleep at all. It has changed my life. I can do things in the evenings that I could never do before. If you take it several days in a row it seems to have diminished effect. I dont know how I got along with out it.

Response 4

For the first few months on Provigil I experienced flu-like symptoms - aches and chills - doctor said it was common, and gradually they went away. If I take too much, I can get a little shaky, but not anxious. Like others, my urine seems darker and stronger-smelling.

The most annoying side effect is that I clench my jaws to the point of headaches sometimes, AND - this is the worst - I compulsively push my tongue against the back of my lower teeth so that after awhile my tongue and gums are sore; I've even gotten irritation sores on my tongue. Even though I'm aware of it, I can't stop it. My dentist doesn't think I'm hurting my teeth, anyway. And it's bearable.

Response 5

Side effects are dealable. However, I notice ringing in ears (tinnitus) and sort of an up and down effect. I take 200 mg 2X day in the am and early afternoon. Love the initial come on to the drug, but do come down after a 2-3 delightful period.

At that point I want another one. There is a "crashed" feeling as the drug wears off. However, this drug does bring some of the excitement and edge back to life that I think all SSRI's take away, along with the process of eliminating whatever you took them for in the first place (in my case panic disorder and mild depression). I just started to notice an apathetic state on prozac and wanted to feel some kind of edge back that the Prozac took away. Provigil also seems to have a mood brightening effect.

General Comments:

Response 1

I can honestly say that this drug has improved my life. I tell you in the utmost sobriety that without this drug I would not be able to function as a normal human being. I would not be able to perform my duties at work. I would not have been able to advance at my work. I owe where I am today and what I have accomplished in my professional life in part to taking this drug.

Response 2

This drug saved my life. I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day and the doctors could not figure out why. I saw an article on the internet about Provigil and I asked my doctor if I could try it. My employer was planning on putting me on disability the next week. That was over two years ago and I'm still working.

I notice that I have a habit of moving my thumb in a cirlce on the TV remote. It drives my wife crazy, but not as much as the constant sleeping did. The only other negative is some mild teeth clenching. I definitely sleep better now that I am taking Provigil. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but the pumps didn't help. This did. I take one 200 mg tablet every morning. Before this drug I could not drive more than 15 minutes without being in danger of falling asleep at the wheel. That's all gone. Completely! I have my life back!!!

Response 3

Saved my life. I suffered from severe fatique. Provigil put the "bounce back in my step". Before taking it, I was losing interest in so many things in life. It has "perked" me up without any nasty side effects. I truely doubt that I would have the quality of life I have today. Without provigil, I doubt if I be as effective at my job (middle school teacher). I take 400 mg a day. I take one pill in am and one at around 2 pm. No problem sleeping-no weight change. A wonder drug!

Response 4

A wonderful drug for me, helping me overcome overwhelming fatigue that is a result of very serious painkillers I'm on that used to completely knock me out. I use Provigil only when I need to, and half - even a quarter - dose of 200mg helps get me through the day without any side effects.

Response 5

For the past 4 years I have been in a constant slump. Unable to make it through the day without sleeping. I had to quit work, because I would be falling asleep at my desk. I tried everything. Nothing worked. Then I tried Provigil, and it works like a charm. I take 300mg per day and I don't know what I would do without it.

I work again, 3 days a week, I actually put make up on again, something I hadnt done in 4 years. I spend time on my hair, I have energy to excersize when im not too sore from my other medical conditions. It makes me feel semi normal again, and for that im so so greatful. My insurance wont cover it because it's only covered for narcolepsy, so I get it from Canada, which works out a lot cheaper for me. I still have to pay, but no where near as much as self pay here in the states. And it's worth every penny.

Response 6

I can no longer imagine going on with life without Provigil. Before, I mearly existed; now I'm ALIVE! Seems to enhance the effects of other meds, especially the benzodiazepines, and also seems to reinforce the positive effects of Paxil. All cognitive functions are enhanced, and I feel a lot more comfortable about operation of motor vehicles.

Another benefit I've observed is that the pain reliving effects of my OxyContin is re-established, and I feel less addicted to this potent pain pill. Provigil is one among a number of other medications I take that has successfully managed the dysphoria and agitation I daily experienced for a period of 25 years that resulted from sleeping disorders compounded with the myriad of symptoms that define the profile of Manic-Depression. Anyone needing a no-nonsense approach to how I control needless daily agony should probably write to me.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2007]
  13. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hi there
    i have been taking modafinil (provigil) for around a year and i find it invaluable because tiredness makes it all feel worse i think, if you combat the fatigue then the pain feels a little easier. i didnt know about the birth control pill thing though but i have got a coil fitted so it doesnt appl to me, maybe a coil could be the answer for you to keep taking the medication which helps you and not have any unwanted problems in the other department. the other good thing about the coil i am on is that it stops periods completely which is one less thing to cope with and thats got to be good i reckon, its called the mirena coil and does well for women over 35 as it protects the bones against becoming brittle. hope this is a help in some small way. good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  14. saved630

saved630 New Member

I've been on pro for a few months. I don't take it on the weekends. Although prob should. But I read it is very addictive. REALLY I SHOULD CARE. I have CFS FM MF. So at times or most of the time I feel like I just can't move. So I do love it. And way didn't my Dr try me on it along time ago. Enjoy. Oh I didn't know it could casue flu like symtems. Maybe thats where I've gotten it latley.
  15. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Provigil did not work for me. I used to be on Cylert for years and it helped. It was taken off the market 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing seemed to work as well until I went on Adderall XR 30 mg twice a day. It has helped a lot. Don't know if it interacts with birth control pills. Good luck.

M J
  16. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Those drugs don't actually IMPROVE your fatigue. You'll only feel "energized" for the amount of time it takes for the med to wear off.

I'm not sure about provigil, but with ones like ritalin, or concerta, the effect lasts 6 or 7 hours max, depending on what kind you have.

And don't fool yourself by thinking your pain or your exhaustion is gone, because you'll STILL pay for overdoing it, even if you feel fine at the time.

I had to adjust to ritalin when I started, because it made me feel almost normal again--I wasn't tired anymore. With the ritalin, though, it only lasted about 4 hours for each dose, and when it wore off I was so sick and in pain.

17. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

First of all, I think what it affects regarding birth control is protection from pregnancy. If I read you correctly, you are taking it for bad periods??? If that is not true and you need birth control for pregnancy protection, then I wouldn't continue with it. I take birth control for period problems, and I'm one that keeps taking them, having my period only 3 or 4x a year. The work fine with Provogil, but I'm not using it for protection.

My opinion on Provigil - some days it works, some days it makes me take a nap, go figure? It really doesn't do anything awesome for me. Some days I get a headache from it, other days I'm fine.

The only thing you can try medication wise that I know of is ADD meds like Adderal, Concerta, Ritalin, etc. Of course these drugs might have the opposite effect, also. If your doctor is reasonable, perhaps he/she will let you try different meds to see what works for you.

Good luck. I took 100 mg provigil today and haven't lifted my head off the pillow. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
  18. glenpr

glenpr New Member

I posted here awhile backing also asking about provigil. I was on the maximum dose of dexedrine, but it had lost much of its affectiveness. I HAD to take it to work. I left work 10 months ago. I did a trial of provigil but did not like it. I am back on dexedrine, I do feel more comfortable on it as it has been around for so long, my son took it 20 years ago. I don't take as much of it as I did before, it also helps with depression, I am able to cut back to 175 mg of effexor from 225 which was giving me high blood pressure. So there you go, I dont think any of us like to take drugs, but now I am thinking what is the alternative????? and I find that far worse. Dexedrine is the drug of choice in the Canadian guidelines for treatment of CFS. By the way I was told the alternate name for provigil in Canada is Alertec. When I asked for provigil, non of the doctors had heard of it.

love glen
  19. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

I use it, they upped me to 400mg as 200 does not do squat. birth control is not a factor for me; had tubes tied. I love it on good days, it makes it even better. on normal days it makes no difference at all.
    they recently put me on Resperidone for sleep (ha!)~ if you read the tons of lit it says in addition to drowsiness it could cause one to stay more mentally alert and functional during the day. that is what it is doing for me.