Meds making me nuts! (update on Cymbalta and others)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I recently switched medications and I am beside myself. I recently quit celexa and started cymbalta. I also started provigil a month ago. To top it off I have a severe sinus infection and am now on heavy duty antibiotics.

I am so angry right now I just want to go buy a back of smokes, a case of beer, and sit in the lounger out back while I drink and smoke. (I quit smoking in jan 2009 and only drink a beer or two a month). I don't even care that it is close to 100 out there.

I have no control over my emotions right now. I either feel like crying or I am shouting at someone/thing. I have yelled at my son and his bff and the dogs can't seem to stay out of trouble. I feel so bad for the kids that I put a tv and wii in my son's room so they don't have to be near me. I can't send his bff home b/c his aunt was murdered monday night and his single mom is trying to keep her self together, which, since she just lost her brother too, is a difficult task.

I also feel very tense, angry, rage-y, and high strung. I can't seem to focus on anything right now. Anyone have any suggestions? I know this will pass, but getting through it is so hard right now. I had awful nightmares about my parents comign back into my life and spanking my son last night.

Crap, now I'm crying. And I'm not a big crier. this really sucks.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2010]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Aw, Kat, it does suck. I could be more descriptive but don't want to get kicked off the board.

One thing to consider and this is off the top of my head, is Celexa an SNRI? I can't take them as they make me "manic like" which was mostly irritability, impulsivity and the urge to tell everyone off. Plus I had suicidal ideation which when I look back scares the you know what out of me. I don't even know who that person was.

I would talk about the Celexa to your doctor. This certainly may not be the case with you and I know people who do wonderfully with the SNRI's.

Do you have anyone who could take care of your son for a few days? TBH, I don't know how people do it with kids. Mine were grown when this all happened.

I sometimes give myself permission let myself wallow,rage at the injustice, cry for 24 hours. There are times we need to do this. If it doesn't help after that I take it as a sign I need help. However, easier said than done and sometimes we don't realize how bad off we are when in the throes of this and it can insidiously creep up on you.

I have also find writing, letting it all out in a rage and then tearing up what I wrote, very therapeutic.

Do you have a therapist?

You have a lot of things going on so it's hard to sort out. Sometimes it's not one thing but a combination and it not really sortable.

Take care and let us know how you are doing. I've been there done that as I am sure a lot of others on this board have.

ETA I just saw you are also on Provigil. Though it does not make me irritable, it can have that side effect especially in combination with other drugs. Did a psychiatrist or your PCP give you these meds. For me, it is worth it to go to a psychiatrist.

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2010]
  3. Chelz

Chelz New Member

First of all, why did you quit the clelexa? Going from one antidepressant directly to another one will cause the problems you are having. Too bad doctors don't tell you this, unless a psychiatriat prescribed this for you, most family doctors don't know enough about these drugs to understand what they really do to your emotions and tolerance.

I was on Paxil and had to get off because of the extreme weight gain, and other bad side effects from this drug. My then, family doctor, put me on Wellbutrin the week after I got off of Paxil and I experienced the same loss of control of emotions, angry, hostile, feeling like I can hit the roof at any time. I quit the Wellbutrin after one day because I couldn't sit still long enough to make myself a small breakfast or meal. I had insomnia even worse than the sleep problems you would usually get with FM.

I wish I would have a suggestion for you, but for me it was to quit these drugs indefinately. I only had more side effects and worse emotions going on them.

My heart goes out to everyone who goes through this because it is so common. Your story is not unusual, it is the norm unfortunately. I remember the rage and high strung feeling, I felt like I might as well have been on heroine or some other heavy duty street drug, but it wasn't, it was the antidepressants, scary.

Are you taking the antidepressant for depression only? Or, what is the reason you are taking them? Is there another alternative you can try. My experience with these drugs were so devastating that I vowed to myself never to go on them again and I haven't since 2000. Hang in there, Hugs, Chelz.
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Why not contact your RXing HCP?

Some of the difficult situations in your life will likely pass, however your response to this med may continue to cause distress.

Being sick w/severe sinus infection & on HD ABs ... take it easy! Get lots of rest. Try a little steam several times per day to ease the congestion ...

If you are otherwise in good health, and have NO blood clotting issues, you might consider adding a high-quality EPA fraction fish oil supplement, like Nordic Naturals or Carlson's brand. Many of us find that the EPA has a mellowing effect on moods, and it can work nicely alongside ADs in some people.

But depending on the severity of your mood issues, EPA fraction fish oil may not be enough. It could be that you need a med change, or perhaps the addition of a mood stabilizer -- perhaps to help get you through this rough phase.

Best wishes.
  5. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have taken ADs for a very long time and will probably never be able to go without. I have a closed head injury from a car accident years ago. I went off of them while I was pregnant and breast feeding and the only reason I made it so long was because my son was premature and very sick and breast feeding was the best for him.

The crazy anger and irritability I have is part of the brain injury. I know the change in medication doesn't help and magnifies it, but I really don't have a choice but to go through this. I am pleased that the celexa has worked this long. I was on it prior to being pregnant and my kid is now 7. Prior to being on it I tried multiple ADs at various strengths and with other meds. I was actually sent into medication induced bipolar by one, which was very scary.

Finding the right AD is like playing russian roulette, you never know what you are going to get.

I actually asked for cymbalta. I need to find something that helps with the effects of the brain injury and the fibro.

I am beginning to lose hope of ever having any kind of normal existence. I fought to long and to hard to get where I was prior to the fibro hitting to let it or anything stop me. I grew up with drunk parents and a sister with personality disorders. I now have no contact with them b/c it is the only way to protect my son and myself from their hateful and abusive ways. I will do anything to make sure my son does not grow up like I did. I have to push through the constant pain and exhaustion to make sure he has a happy and well balanced life. I will never know if I would have ended up with depression b/c of genetics or not, but I sure as heck won't allow it or the fibro to take over without a fight.

I have read many accounts of people who have been helped by cymbalta just on this board alone. It is worth me trying just for the off chance that it will help me with the pain and depression. I can't stand anymore of this constant pain and laying in bed all of the time. I want to get out and live while I still can.
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

turned me into a bitch, I felt really angry and antisocial on it, it did decrease my pain but teeny doses of it started to mess up my eyes, eye pain, photophobia, migraines, had to stop it with a few weeks and experimented a few times with same results, it definitely was associated with those probs in me

antideps usually had more side effects than they were worth in me, some of us are too mcs for those meds

google Dr. Cheney and provigil, interesting reasons not to mix it with cfs
  7. kat211

kat211 New Member

my fibro dr made me promise to try it for at least a month before I talked to my other dr about changing my ADs. I haven't experienced any side effects from it. I also played with the dosage and found that 200 mg in the morning followed by 10 mg of ritalin in the afternoon gave me the best benefit.

I know my dr isn't going to be happy when I tell her about my little experiment, but oh well. I hope cymbalta doens't turn me into a jerk. I'd rather be suffering b/c of the pain and exhaustion than make those around me suffer.

I need groceries really bad, but my already low threshold for idiots at the market is now ziltch.
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

It is not just the Wellbutrin I had issues with, it was Zoloft (almost went to the hospital), Elavil, (loss of vision, horrific weight gain) Paxil, (hormone problems, horrific weight gain), Wellbutrin (feeling like I will hit the roof, agitated, and my doctor only gave me 100 milligrams of the Wellbutrin). I lost my job while on these drugs back in the early 2000's because of the extreme health problems, memory problems, withdrawal problems all on top of having fibromyalgia as well, not a pretty picture at all.

If you do a search on the dangers of these drugs, or look up petitions of people who are trying to stop the madness of doctors over prescribing of these drugs, you would be astonished.

The only way my doctors listened to me about these drugs was for me to do research, on my own, print out the research and show them what I found out. By that time, I was almost a basket case from them, affected my relationships with friends and family.

Trying to find the "right one" seemed ridiculous to me, I am not a laboratory rat to experiment with because meanwhile I need to work, help take care of my elderly mother, and keep my sanity.

So, if a psychiatrist gives these drugs out, especially one that you can really trust, and he or she monitors you on them closely, then maybe some of these drugs would work, but too many people are going on them for any type of reason whatsoever and it shouldn't work that way. I know more now about these situations more than ever because I work in a hospital.

If the Wellbutrin is working for you, that is great :) but these drugs cause a lot of problems for a lot of people, and additional problems is not what FM or CFS people need. Hugs, Chelz.

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Zoloft and lexapro have been the two ADs that work best for me.

It is just the nature of depression that you have to go through several to get the right dose. The doctor's are not experimenting on you, but trying to find the right combination which can be difficult.

Monitoring is very very important especially with side effects because if you are on the right AD, they should go away as your body gets used to them.

If I weren't on ADs, I probably would not be alive.

ADs can also help with pain and fatigue of CFS. They MAY have some neuorprotective effects.

Psychiatrist if they are worth anything will not prescribe ADs unless necessary.

I know, I worked in the mental health field.

10. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i hear ya. sometime it is all just TOO MUCH and you feel full of rage and everything and the crying. i have been there many times. not fun. it will pass. it always does, right? but its so hard to go thru it.

i have occasionaly done a "primal scream". it lets a little rage out thats for sure. but it also hurts your throat if you really do it. also kinds freaks out anyone around you who may hear it. i think people could hear my scream from like 5 miles away. i was really pissed.

i dont drink much either, but i did recently buy a whole bunch of alcohol at the store to see if it will help me cope. i dont want to develop a drinking problem, but i --- i just dont know. i drank one beer. what a party animal! what a rebel!

so, i understand.

best wishes, things will get better, hopefully soon!

11. kat211

kat211 New Member

There are no words to express how much it means to me.

I got an email from my atty last night about the lawsuit I have going on on my house. The morons who I am suing have a bunch of stupid questions that they know the answers to but still want me to waste time and answer. They also can't even get my name correct. GRRRR! I feel ike I have been living like a refugee for the past year b/c I had to seal off a portion of the house and we are now crammed into 800 sq feet and my back yard is full of dirt and weeds and I can't do anything about it b/c I don't know if there will be construction to fix the house or if I will have to walk away from it and ruin my credit.

My fibro pain has gone through the roof, which is ok since the roof is already leaking, since receiving the email last night. I am trying talk myself into putting on a swimsuit and going to the hot springs that are 30 minutes away today to see if that will help.

Why does everything hit at once?
  12. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

I'm on 40 mgs Lexapro and glad to be. No AD seems to work for a long time, and I have stopped them in discouragement and returned when I can't stand it anymore.
    I'm also taking doxepin for sleep ---it's an ad, but I don't know if it effects me in that way.
    I'm just sayin'.
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I used to have the same problem with ADs losing effectiveness. My doctor added Lamictal which was originally made for bipolar but has been found to be useful for anxiety as well as making your AD more effective.

I have now been on Zoloft for five years. The longest time I have been on an AD, including Zoloft.

14. kat211

kat211 New Member

I think I have gotten to the other side of the celexa w/d and getting used to the cymbalta. I was less crazy yesterday and doing much better today. I even managed to talk to my ex w/o ripping his head off!

I also went shopping to find something to wear to an interview next week. I have gained so much weight that none of my clothes fit. I actually tried on clothes in the store and didn't freak out when I saw myself in the 3 way mirror under those hideous lights. I have been so down on my weight gain that I never try on in the store and actually make myself believe that I'm not really the size I am so I buy stuff I subconsciously know is will be too small for me and I end up having to return it. I actually looked at and bought clothes in the right size and didn't feel bad about it.
  15. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

So glad you are feeling better today!

Yes, changing from one AD to another can be sheer H#@*!!!! I am glad you seem to be at the other end of the tunnel!

You definitely have a lot going on, so I know it is hard to handle everything.

Here's to feeling better, and a cyberhug {{{{{ }}}}}
  16. kat211

kat211 New Member

I haven't gotten rid of any of my 'skinny' clothes. I can bear the thought of being this size for much longer. I am actually only buying a few pieces so that I can look presentable for an interview. I'm also only buying things at discount stores.

I am going to pick up an eliptical today. Hopefully I will use it and loose some of this excess.

I haven't lost my appetite yet, was that immediate for you or did it take a while?
  17. kat211

kat211 New Member

I had a very active day yesterday, well, ok half day b/f it got too hot, and I made it w/o any prescription pain meds. I took 2 aleve when I went to bed at midnight and woke up this morning feeling pretty darn good. I have been able to focus on things and think clearly these past couple of days as well. So far I am very pleased and feel great compared to how I was b/f changing meds. I think the cymbalta might be giving me more energy as well b/c the only reason I have been napping is b/c it is easier to make it through the heat sleeping than sweating like a big piggy.

The antibiotics also kicked and and I no longer have open sores in my nose and I can breath through it! YAY!
  18. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i was like that on welbutrin it made me crazy!!! i even wanted to comit suicide! i yelled screamed cried wanted to die...all med works dif for every person..i think you should talk to your dr about this.... zoloft worked best for me except i just had no emotions at all but that was better then all the other side effects i got from the others!!!
  19. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i guess i read it dif...i hope her dr doesn't want her to comit suicide.....

i did say all meds work dif for dif people..

i do have brain today! and severe pain so i am slow today..i was just saying what it did to me thats all..

i have trouble with alot of meds
  20. kat211

kat211 New Member

I actually did try to kill myself. It scared the living day lights out of me. It happened when I was in rehab for my closed head injury and my psych said it was the worst case he had ever seen. Evidently, I did some pretty wild things when I was on the 'high' as well.