Meds that help facial tremors and numbness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nellie2, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

Does anyone know of a med that controls tremors or numbness? My neuro decided that I did not have enough lesions to go with the MS dx and said go back to your Dr. because he seems to be doing pretty good with your condition. The neuro thinks that I have a lot of the symptoms of MS but not enough lesions? I really don't understand that.

I have a very pronounce tremor in my right hand that I can put up with. But the facial tremors are driving me crazy. My entire lips are numb and tremor quite a bit most of the time. I feel "strange".

When I try to talk to people they are totally distracted by my lips twitching or "shaking". Does anyone have any suggestions on a supplement I can use?

Thanks so much!
  2. Harmony

Harmony New Member

How about asking your Dr. about Klonopin for the trembling.
    I'm no expert, but I know it helps seizures and twitching, restless leg, along with anxiety. It makes sense that it might help calm the muscles down.

Love, Harmony
  3. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

I will ask him on Tuesday. I had no idea what to ask for. I appreciate your help. Its so hard to be struggling and not have any idea where to turn.

Kathleen
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Had tremors in my eyes and lips. I started taking natural vitamin E (400 units per day), and Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) and they stopped. Its been almost two years since I have had this now.

MOst of us with FM/CFS are deficient in magnesium, which is great for some 80 something things in our bodies. You could mention this to your doctor too.

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi Nellie...
    I tried the natural route,(always try to go with supps and vitamins first) and didn't unfortunately have any success with my tremors, ticking, and jerking. I was having alot of jerking and twitching, in legs, arms, trunk, head, neck, and face.
    I know what you mean about the aggravation of the facial tremors. Mine have been completely alleviated with the use of klonopin. The numbness, too in my limbs has been greatly reduced. Most Docs who use klonopin for FM use low dosages, in the belief that some FM'ers suffer from mini-seizure state. Most start the patient on .5 mg., which is where I started and now take 1mg., which is a very low dose.
    Klonopin also helps with sensory overload, restless leg syndrome, anxiety/panic attacks, neural pain, and sleep.
    Best wishes,
    LL
    You may also check into B12---as a deficiency in it, can cause many neural signs. I was taking oral B-12 and not absorbing it due to malabsorption probs (IBS and Leaky Gut)
    I am now on B-12 injections and it has helped immensely with some of the other neurally related symptoms such as memory, cognitive functions, and has even made a huge difference in fatigue. Lack of B-12 can cause twitching,etc. too[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2003]
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I get my b12 bottles and syringes from my Doc's office.
    You can get them by prescription as well...and I have read here recently of someone buying them on the internet. My doc charges the same price as you can find it elsewhere.
    The prob with that is you dont have the dosage of the knowledge of injection sites, as would be provided by your doc. There also can be allergic responses, so I think a practioner would be the route to go...just my personal opinion though. Some who are old veterans and have been doing B12 injections for yrs. probably don't need the supervision.
    Best wishes....LL
  7. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

Hi all, just wanted to point out that I got my b-12 injections online without a script and they are fine. I payed $19.99 which includes shipping and I received 10 ampules. You should be aware of how and where to give injections first and foremost, I would have went the other route asking my doc. but right now he is acting like a total a@#hole, and I am in such pain and relentless fatigue that I will try anything, so I did what I had to do. I have taken 2 shots thus far, and I do feel a slight change in fatigue :) Just wanted to inform.

Melanie