Meds to help sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chopindog, Nov 2, 2005.

1. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I have been taking elavil for a year, it helps me sleep, but I can't stand the cravings for sweets! I never used to eat sweet stuff, now just today for instance I got into a thing of chocolate frosting and was eating it with a spoon. I used to hate frosting! I live with my dad and stepmom so I can't control what is bought and in the house, and sadly although I will fight all day with myself but I always end up eating BAD BAD food!! I really want to stop the elavil and tried a few months ago. My doctor put me on trazodone. It did not help me sleep. Ambien made me hallucinate. I don't have insurance so cheap suggestions would be nice. But all are welcomed! Joy
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

One of the cheapest might be Benadryl. Another prescription med is Zopiclone. It's Imovane in Canada but I think Lunesta in USA. It works very well.

Good Luck
    Kathy.

3. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Boy do I know what you are going through. I have been on it for 9 yrs. and eat sweets and carbs uncontrollably. My dr. insists that I stay on it because it really does well for my sleep and also acts as a good anti-depressant.By all means I would also like to hear any ideas from all of you out there so I can get rid of this FAT!!!!

PIRT
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have tried Elavil (Amitriptyline), it turned me into a zombie, but didn't take it long enough to make me eat (I could use the appetite too).

Heres what has been a Godsend for me with sleep;

8pm 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6)

10pm .25mgs of Xanax

11pm 2 1/2 mgs of Melatonin

since taking these, I have been sleeping a good 8-9 hours a night, a deep stage four sleep. Before the above, I would only sleep about two hours without waking up, now I sleep all night.

You can get the ZMA and the Melatonin here at Pro Health's 'Store'. It does take about 12-14 days to really take effect.

I have been taking this formula now for almost 2 1/2 years and have been sleeping wonderful. It has really helped with the FM spasms/pain as well as the sleep.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl