Meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monet61, Sep 26, 2006.

1. monet61

monet61 New Member

Could any of you share any good experiences with antidepressants? I've been avoiding them like the plague because of bad past experiences with weight gain. I need to *lose* not gain more. I'm really thinking I need meds at this point because I have so much to do, I'm overwhelmed with family obligations, a pending relocation, etc., and I can't seem to move as I'm not feeling good and I'm depressed and overwhelmed.
    How in heaven's name can one accomplish anything like this?
  2. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Monet61

Sounds like you are going through a rough spell, I too recently relocated to another state, it can be one of the most stressful experiences both physically and emotionally.
    regarding the antidepressant issues, everyone is unique, if its for the restorative sleep you could talk to your doctor about amitryptaline in very small dosage at night before bed, say 5mg maybe more if your feeling that depressed. Another med that works for some people at night is a small dose of flexeril (muscle relaxant) again you need to talk to your PCP.

Have you tried any natural supplementation, particulary magnesium, malic acid or valerian at night before bed. Both the magnesium and malic acid help with muscle pain, Valerian helps as a natural relaxant. Try to be kind to yourself, trying to "fight" the pain only aggravates people with FMS and MPS both physically and emotionally. Pack as you can, ask for help, breath and if you can try some relaxaton music to soothe the soul. I thinks its a whole body approach to deal with these disorders.

Feel better,
    Hugs

Syz45
  3. monet61

monet61 New Member

thanks so much for your kind responses.

It's just all been so much to deal with lately. My mum has Alzheimer's and was initially relocating with me and was going to go to assisted living in our new town. She's now refused to go, and as assisted living is voluntary only she cannot be placed. We had quite an ordeal with her the past few months. There are a lot of other overwhelming factors and it all just became too much this week. I'm anxious, depressed, overwhelmed and exhausted.

I've decided to try St. John's Wort for now. I will be in touch with my doctor tomorrow to let him know. I do take magnesium with calcium at night and have noticed the relaxation and improved sleep. I have been on xanax at night also (half the lowest dosage) but have tapered and am discontinuing as I really find it counterproductive.
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Been on effexor for 6 months and have actually lost weight.

As well my pain is quite diminshed and panic attacks are gone.

Good Luck

Sue in Ontario