meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Oct 15, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

what are the best meds you have taken for what (include herbs)
    and what are worst?
    what is the worst side effect you have had and from what?

the best med ive taken for pain is oxy
    the worst med amitritline it had the worse side effect
    it made me crazy iwas yelling and screaming and throwing things for no resson.
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

what are the best meds you have taken for what (include herbs)
    and what are worst?
    what is the worst side effect you have had and from what?

the best med ive taken for pain is oxy
    the worst med amitritline it had the worse side effect
    it made me crazy iwas yelling and screaming and throwing things for no resson.
  3. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

How so Ironic!

When I was dx in 90 My Rhuemy put me on Elavil (amitryptiline)for sleep - Yes - Must Admit the 1st couple of months I was like a Zombie BUT helped me with my pain.

96 switched to Pamelor because of high blood pressure.
    And within the past 2 months attempting to wean from Pamelor to Ambien.

As I'm unable to tolerate any pain meds - My #1 Med Is Flexeril. Without Flexeril I'm not sure I would be able to continue to work, even tho I only work 4 days a week.

Gentleness
  4. fibolady

fibolady New Member

ultram (not tramadol, can give you headaches) flexeril (when needed) ambien & klonopin

imitrex and midrin i can take for headaches. excedrin (over counter) made me want to throw up!

meds that i didn't tolerate: zanaflex (felt strange and mean)

tried lots of herbs over the years, the zma didn't help me but has helped a lot of people on the board. the magnesium/malic acid same story for me.

i'm trying the grapefruit seed extract herb (on 2nd bottle) and can see my ibs is improving a little. hopefully, it will continue. taking the chewable fibertabs helps with the ibs too.

all the oils (flaxseed, etc.) i had no ease up of the fibro. this my accupucturist had me on. boy, the list could go on, by now you could figure i have been battling this a long time!

warm regards, fibolady

5. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

I can't seem to tolerate any supplements except Barlean's Omega Twin and Immunplex. The rest give me major headaches. One thing I have heard few people discuss on the board is hormone replacement. I have found I need a BIG dose to have the same effect as most people get on the smallest dose. It has taken me 3 years to convince my doctor that since I have no ovaries or uterus, it is worth the breast cancer risk (the jury is still out on whether those of us who had complete hysterectomies actually have a higher risk of breast cancer). I take fioricet for pain and Celexa. And when I have a migraine, I take imitrex. I just came off vicodin for pain after a root canal, and I must say, I haven't slept so well in years.
    Worst side effects? Elavil(amitryptiline)wins, but I just tried ZMA and it made me wheeze and caused an eczema flare up. Go figure. This is a weird disease.
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks for the info im trying to decide what to try next,
  7. achy

achy New Member

My best would have to be Oxycontin...20mg 2X day.
    I also have percocet 7.5/500 for breakthru
    Soma is another great one...helps me sleep, & boosts the oxy.
    Xanax too. helps with the jerks and twitches & helps me relax and sit still

Neurontin was the worst...felt drugged, out of it kinda
    Bextra too...kicked up asthma & did nothing for pain
    I've tried over 30 meds in the past two years...I'm stickin to what I'm on..works best for me
    Experiment till you find what works for you...
    Achy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Guaifenesin treatment has helped me get off Morphine and given me some nice remissions. I almost immediately helped with Fibro Fog and dizzyness.

Klonopin helps me get real, quality sleep. It also has gotten rid of my anxiety and panic attacks. It has helped greatly with my sensory overload.

The Doxycycline is working to stop the invasion of the mycoplasmas. It has helped with migraine headaches, chronic sore throats, swollen glands, and chronic low-grade fevers.

Worst pills were Elavil and Flexeril. Both are in the same family and both can cause rapid weight gain. Both caused me to get sleepy, but neither produced good quality sleep.

Love, Mikie