Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kea, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Kea

Kea New Member

Aloha everyone in Fibromyalgia land.
    Two doctors are still debating about if I have it or not.
    My Primary Care Doc says yes and the Nero. says not sure.
    I have been using Ambien for sleep for a while. I started walking in my sleep. I thought I had dreamed I had got up and ate breakfast. What a shock to get up at five thirty and find out I had eatten, put my bowl in the dishwasher and even fed the dogs. Has any one else had any problems with their sleep meds. My doc took me off and I am trying something new.
    Help
    Kea
  2. Kea

Kea New Member

Aloha everyone in Fibromyalgia land.
    Two doctors are still debating about if I have it or not.
    My Primary Care Doc says yes and the Nero. says not sure.
    I have been using Ambien for sleep for a while. I started walking in my sleep. I thought I had dreamed I had got up and ate breakfast. What a shock to get up at five thirty and find out I had eatten, put my bowl in the dishwasher and even fed the dogs. Has any one else had any problems with their sleep meds. My doc took me off and I am trying something new.
    Help
    Kea
  3. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

And only someone with CFS/FM would have a strange side effect like this.

Be sure to go right to bed after taking them and I hope you stay there.

Mslo

4. sheri

sheri New Member

I have no experience with ambien, tho one of my family members takes it, she has'nt reported those type of side effects. I want to thank you for your post. Its a good warning to those who are highly sensitive to meds. Blessings, sheri
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Kea, welcome to our world. Wow,that must have been some experience!

I have never taken Ambien, as I am very sensitive to most prescription meds.

Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself! Sleepwalking can be dangerous. I have not heard this before.

Hope you find something that agrees with you, and that your doctors get your diagnosis straight soon.

Again, welcome to the board, hope we hear from you often, and do let us know what the final diagnosis is.

Shalom, Shirl

6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Kea....I was reading recently about this occurring as a side effect of some meds, I was researching.
    Found this thought it might be of interest to you:

"Sleep walking (somnambulism) most often occurs during deep non-REM sleep (stage 3 or stage 4 sleep) early in the night. It can occur during REM sleep near morning.

In adults, sleep walking is usually associated with a disorder of the mind but may also be seen with reactions to drugs and/or medications and alcohol, and medical conditions such as partial complex seizures.

Avoid the use of alcohol or central nervous system depressants if prone to sleep walking.
    Avoid fatigue or insomnia, because this can instigate an episode of sleep walking.
    Avoid or minimize stress, anxiety, and conflict, which can worsen the condition."

It also says "Usually, no further examination and testing is necessary. If sleep walking is frequent or persistent, examination to rule out other disorders may be appropriate. " Medline

I use to sleep walk all the time---now I just sleep talk--lol, guess I have gotten lazy, or just hurt to much to get up. My oldest daughter also walks in her sleep.

Not surprising with FM as it is theorized that we do have abnormal brain activity taking place. Throw in some meds that alter brain chemistry further...and it adds up to this possible scenario, in my mind.
    Karen