meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheshi16, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Sheshi16

Sheshi16 New Member

I am new to this website and was wondering if I could get some advice. I currently have Kaiser Insurance and haven't had the greatest experiences with them. I realize that i am not alone. This seems to be a very big problem worldwide. I am not sure what it is going to take for recognization, but I am at my wits end.

I am 39 years old and was diagnosed last fall with Fibromyalgia. I have had symptoms for a quite a few years....maybe 5 or longer. I cannot believe the pain. It still amazes me. What amazes me even more is that the vast majority of the medical field has no clue.

I am taking 15mg. of oramorph 3x day, wellbutrin 150 mg. 2x, provigil 100 mg. 3x (I also have Narcolepsy) and vicodin 500 mg. 6-8 x a day. I still hurt. This only takes the edge off.

To further complicate things, I have 3 children, 17, 4 and 3.....work full time and attend college 2 nights a week and receive no child support for my two youngest children. I have inquired about disability, but my doctor totally blew me off. I would never survive on that at this point in my life any way.

I called today to make another appointment with my doctor. Her nurse is very condensending and when I do get to see her she doesn't seem very knowledgable about my condition and is very "rushed' for time. I have switched doctors twice already and I am not yet in a position to get different insurance. Does anyone have any advice for me? Is there any stronger meds or a better combo for me?

Thank You...
    Shelli
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Shelli, welcome to our painful world! Sorry, somehow I missed your first post here yesterday. Lots of new people joining the board, and it is slow on the weekends.

I can't help with your insurance, but I know others here do have Kaiser, I have seen the posts and complaints about them.

It is so very hard to find a doctor that will work with you with these illnesses, so many have problems with then just believeing they are really sick.

I hope you get some help soon, and again welcome to the board and let us hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

Wow you have a full plate!!

I also found out in the fall of last year that I had fibromyalgia after going to the doctor for over five years with pain this was the final conclusion. I also have RA, DDD, and Gout. I started taking vicodin when a couple of years ago for pain as well as flexril. They didn't give me any relief.

Finally after an endless persuit of trying to find out what was wrong with me and suffering from bad depression and thinking that I must just be crazy the doctor told me that I had fibromyalgia. I am now taking Oxycontin for pain as well as robaxin. I go to pain management once a month because my primary doctor didn't want to give me pain meds anymore I guess he didn't want to be responsible if anything happened I am not sure but it was the best choice he ever made on my behalf. There has been alot of negative press about oxycontin and its abuses but for someone who is in REAL pain its nothing more than a link in the chain to finding a combo that works for me. I am also seeing a theropist for the depression. I take amytriptyline to help me sleep and remeron. When I filed for my disability I went at it alone. I didn't even talk to my primary doctor about it because I knew the reponse I would get.

After I filed for it the SSA didn't even want a report from him anyways all they wanted was my records. Its been 165 days now and counting. The hardest part of it is waiting. I would suggest that you find another doctor who understands what your going through and who will listen with out judgement and help find solutions for You. Its a long hard road I know, but in the end you will feel better for the decision. You shouldn't be subjected to that kind of treatment. Its hard enough dealing with this from day to day with family and friends who dont understand what your going through but to have to put up with that kind of treatment from someone who is suppose to be a medical professional is uncalled for. I wish you all the best and good luck!

Gentle hugs,
    Jeanna