Mega leg problems, any idea here?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Jul 21, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

This began a few months back, now it is becoming nightly and worse, much worse.

When it began they sent me to the local Neuro who tested my legs and got NO results or activity that I describe from the needle and electrical shock thing.

I wake up at night sometimes screaming. It began in my right foot, has now included my left and now something is beginning to effect the back of my thighs as well.

I don't know if you would call it the muscles or ligimates. But EXTREME pain on either side on the ankle up about 5-8 inches on the leg. What ever they are they tighten so tight that it causes my foot to turn inward. Recently I sometimes get them down my shins and when I get these it pulls my big toe upward into the air.

Now the past few nights in addition when the ankle thing happens I try to straighten out my legs and then get horrendous charlie horses in the back of my thighs or calves. It becomes impossible to straighten out my legs.

Nothing releases it until it is darn good and ready and it may be seconds or minutes, the pain is unbearable.

My last blood work showed no deficientcies.

I am getting worse and last night it was all night long, how could I get sleep?

If I try to roll over it can happen or for no reason at all.

Any ideas?

Back in 1991 when they were running a million tests on me, they discovered I have a type A herniation of th cerebelum in back of my brain. Of course since I have aged I guess it may have herniated more. Isn't that the same as an Arnold's Chiari?

At the time the Neuro and Neuro Surgeon they had look at me said that could cause leg problems later in life but they would not tell me what kinds of leg problem.

One friend with MS thought it could me MS. I am at a lose.

Back when they were testing me, they felt sure I had MS but nothing showed up. I recently had another MRI that was negative.
    I need answers to know how to get help.

Thank you
  2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Are you taking any magnesium for cramps? I know this has helped alot of people out with leg problems. Are you taking a muscle relaxer before bed? Another thing maybe to consider is trigger points setting up. Do you have CMP? This would also cause this problem. P
  3. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

Maybe you have Restless Leg Syndrom (RLS) I have this nasty thing, and I take Ambien. It knocks me out fast enough so that it doesn't have enough time to kick in.
  4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I CANNOT TAKE MAGNESIUM!! I want folks to see that right up front. And, my levels have always been well within range.

I have RLS and this is not that.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  5. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Elavil/Amytriptilene? I had horrid pains like that until the doc put me on elavil. It sounds like your nerves are not registering pain properly, which is common in this awful disease.
  6. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I know you get irritated with the magnesium suggestion but really, I think you should look into it seriously. I know that you cannot ingest magnesium but there are several other ways to get it where it needs to go.

I am not a doctor but I am not convinced that blood serum levels of different elements is accurate. What matters is what is in the cell. The cell could be deficient and the blodd serum could be normal as Rich has pointed out in regards to glutathione.

It may be something more serious but wouldn't it behoove you to try something simple.

Magnesium is one of the most important elements in our bodies. So much depends on magnesium.

I wrote a post regarding magnesium sulphate lotion that is just pennies to make yourself. Epsom salt baths, injections from doctor, and there are several different types of magnesium that you could try.

All in all, I would explore why you can't tolerate magnesium. That in itself could be a huge clue to what is not working in your body.

Anyway, just suggestions (again). I am concerned for your health. Hope you're not aggravated.

7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Honey I understand what you are saying, but my doctor says from my tests that all my potassium, magnesium and all are well with in good levels.

I'm just so frustrated as I am not getting good sleep with this, I am up half the night trying to get my legs to work and my feet.
  8. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Mine started recently also, thoght it might be tendonitis or something like it. who knows? I am also having charlie horses but is in the arch of feet or my toes.Most severe pain is outer 6-8" up from ankle but also have inside ankle and both sides of shins. walk around like a 90 yr old.Husbans trys to massage them but that really hurts too. I am on magnesium but it hasnt helped this, nothing has.Wish I could offer something to help. You will be in my prayers! God Bless
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I knew you were not feeling well and now this!!

I have a severe case of RLS which is controlled by Trazodone and Klonipin. Your symptoms do not sound like mine.

Could it be a nerve that is pinched when you are lying down or possible inflammation that is getting worse. Does this happen anytime during the day?

I would be sure to check with your doctor, if you have not already done that. Opps, saw that you have been to the neurologist.

We need to get as much restorative sleep as possible and that can not be helpful.

Hope you get this resolved, soon!!!

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2008]