Mega vitamin C doses...Has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stillafreemind, Oct 27, 2002.

1. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

For the last two hours I have been on a site reading about vitamin C treatments for various diseases. They mention fighting fatigue in here alot.

I just keep going back to the thought that I have had this for sooo long..and wondering how a kid could get this. I do not know the answers..but I sure could see some value in what this site was saying. Its Dr. Sauls site..and I did not see any ads at all..therefore I do not think he has his own products for sale. It is called..doctoryourself with the dot com.

I sure would like to hear some feedback..as I am getting ready to take the bull by the horns..so to speak.

Hoping all are coping well this day..
    stillafreemind
  2. stillafreemind

For the last two hours I have been on a site reading about vitamin C treatments for various diseases. They mention fighting fatigue in here alot.

I just keep going back to the thought that I have had this for sooo long..and wondering how a kid could get this. I do not know the answers..but I sure could see some value in what this site was saying. Its Dr. Sauls site..and I did not see any ads at all..therefore I do not think he has his own products for sale. It is called..doctoryourself with the dot com.

I sure would like to hear some feedback..as I am getting ready to take the bull by the horns..so to speak.

Hoping all are coping well this day..
    stillafreemind
  3. stillafreemind

How much are you taking? I too take Ester c as the regular C either gives me heartburn or upset.

Did you read Dr. Sauls site at all? I believe it was Dr. Paulding that did so much with C research..

I am grateful that you responded. I really was hopeful that more would have..may just have to go out on that proverbial limb and do it. I was going to try and shoot for 10 grams a day for a bit and see how that worked. I think I will try to work up slowly .. a gram or two at a time. What do you think?

Thanks again...still
  4. stillafreemind

Have you read up on C? I do not plan on going over 10 grams .. their minimum seemed to be 35 or so..and that is no where close to the max.

Without being able to take meds..I find myself kinda caught between a rock and a hard place...but basically my comfort level rests in supps.

But thank you soooo much for the warning!

Have a good evening....still
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hate to be a wet rag, so to speak, but your body simply can't absorb more than 150-250 mgs. of vit. C per day, no matter what some people say (they are usually selling something with tons of C in it). Most of that should be gotten from foods to avoid stomach irritation and diarreha. I also know folks who have spent big bucks on intavenous vitamin C for nada. Sure you need C and other anti-oxidants, but super large doses are hard on the body, as mentioned by a previous poster. If you have Fibro, B complex is even more important, as we use it up faster than normals,and you can take large doses of B's (except for B6) without too much worry. :)
    Klutzo
  6. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I take 3 grams of C a day; more if I feel a sinus infection coming on, which thankfully now only happens in the summer when we get lots of rain. (Our bodies generally can tolerate more C when we are sick, than when we are well; your body will tell you that if 10 grams is too much.)

This much C makes all the difference in the world for my bruises, and I'm sure for other things. When I take less than 2 grams, I bruise again. If I take much more than 3 grams I get the runs. Personally, I think 10 grams is a lot to begin with, but if you decide to do it, make sure to have plenty of Charmin lol.

Good luck,
    Annette
  7. bebo96101

bebo96101 New Member

I've been looking at the condition and it's various effects, an immune condition that causes immunity to become self-distructive needs more than just one thing to counter act it. Being the start of the problems stem from immune-disfunction, colostrum needs to be the foundation of treatment to 'retrain' the chemical base of immunce cells. Once cell function normalyzes, other suppliments combined to counteract the damage need to be used to reverse the wear on our bodies. Culturally we are a nation that has been living on nutritionally-deficient food(2% milk??). So our bodies are weakened from this, so the "unknown-contaminant" has little work to do to make our immunity dysfuntional. I've heard some saying that Ester C helps, but that is not enough! As 'C' cause increased white-blood cell count, but since these cells will be dysfunctional/distructive there is no real help caused. Naturally we should all have breast fed to carry on immunity, but since many of us were 'bottle-fed' we never attained the support our early bodies needed. Now we are playing catch-up with those who are not suffering as we. Let's start with colostrum till white-blood cell activity shows positive responsiveness, then build on that. If this concept interests anyone, let me know.
    "Serious interest only, as critics will be ignored completely."
  8. stillafreemind

LOL ANNETTE!! I ran to the closet to make sure that I had plenty!!I do not think that 3 grams hurts anyone. The great thing is.. if you start getting loose..back down the dose. Or at least that is how I interpret the therapy. Diareaha(sp) is a signal to back down because the body is not needing to use as much. Ha..as touchy as my gut can sometimes be..I highly doubt that I will make it all the way to 10 grams. I was just kinda looking for people who were taking big doses, just to see what they thought.

I cannot remember who brought up the colostrum...but I take it daily and know it helps me.

Hope all are feeling the best that they can...