Melatonin question, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by freida, Mar 27, 2013.

1. freida

freida Active Member

To those who do,
    What form of melatonin do you take?

I tried it with no effect, years ago,
    tablets or capsules, cannot remember which form.

I am considering trying it again.
    There are tabs and caps and liquids, and lozenges,

and there is one shea butter skin lotion with a measured amount of melatonin in it, by the brand name of life-flo, which I wonder about trying.

Thanks, for any comments on melatonin forms.

I am also thinking of trying l-glycine.
    I need to try adding something to help my sleep.

Leah
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

It is 2.5 mg. I read that an even smaller dose would work, I just need to cut some in half. I've tried the kind you swallow but didn't think it helped me.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

I take Swanson Vitamins 3 mg. capsules, they do help me. I also take Now Foods brand glycine, 2,000 mg. (two 1,000 mg. capsules). Also recently have tried Swanson brand "Ajipure glycine powder" - it's in bulk form, 8 ounce container, that seems to work fine too.

I also take 200 mg. l-theanine and 100 mg. 5-htp, and magnesim and calcium. You shouldn't take 5-htp if you are taking an a prescription anti-depressant as your serotonin levels may go too high, causing serotonin syndrome, which can be dangerous. I've no problem taking the 5-htp.

I take all of this about 2 hours before going to sleep and it helps. I generally have to take more l-theanine and more glycine in the middle of the night.

This all helps me sleep.

Also, are your cortisol levels okay? mine were high at night several years ago and it caused serious insomnia that nothing would help until I got them lowered, using Seriphos, which was great. If you want to get your cortisol levels checked, an Adrenal Stress Index test is very good, it's a saliva test with samples taken 4 times during the day/evening so they can see how your cortisol levels rise and fall.

Good luck - I hope you get some help with sleep!

Mary
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

easy to break into 4's and MOST nights I take 1/4mg to 1/2 mg along with my sleep combo and take the melatonin at 7PM or thereabouts....getting my body ready for sleeping...
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I also use Prohealth's sublingual melatonin 2.5 mg.

I put 4 of them under my tongue at bedtime.

I used to use a larger dose, but I have been able to cut back to 10 mg.

Some people are only able to use a very small dose and other people require much more.

I tried oral melatonin and it did nothing for me.
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Even the doctor she was interviewing said that was a large amount! I've read that melatonin is actually to be used to get into a sleep routine and not to be used all the time.
  7. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Hi you, Maddie told me my account is still up, but all my posts were deleted includibg my explanation. Cant help but feel hurt about that, all them people who put the effort to help with a very important topic which may have helped others, oh well.

I got 2 warnings one was when i was talking about feeding the birds and my neighbour i put a star in a short swear word which i now know your not allowed to do and the birds fat balls got removed to. But the 2nd was an old pist so much had happened since the pist. However no swearing just the contex in which it was written, again it was for humourous affect. See we are allowed to do this on our british boards. That said ive been on these boards since 2007 never had a problem. So it was the straw that broke the camels back, got to many important things going on to open inbox messages telling me off.

So i hope you can understand, i liked you Leah we share a similar sense of humour which makes you great company and easy to bounce off. A humour i believe that can only of come from knowing pain ;-)

I'll probably be back ive racked up to many years, but when the stress is at a level whete i can think more clearly. Eyes still up the creek, been given more drugs.

Take care of you Leah, until our next chuckle

katherine x
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

There is much that is commonly not known about melatonin.
    It is synthesised in two sources:
    The pineal gland (released upon darkness)
    The chromafin cells of the digestive tract
    about 75% of the bodies melatonin is released by the chromafin cells also at night.

Melatonin is synthesised from seratonin and the pineal release stays mostly in the brain. Its function is many fold.

Firstly it supports the sleep wake cycle and assists the onset of sleep. Most people who take melatonin even in large doses do not notice any sleep "inducing" effects however some people do, even with small doses.

Secondly it assists memory consolidation.

Thirdly, and most importantly it is used it tissue reconstruction and repair in the brain and it supports glutathione synthesis in combination with vitamin D.

There is also some recent evidence that it plays a role in nociception, with large doses, around 30mg being a pain modulator. A recent paper by Dr. Peres, who is director of São Paulo Headache Center, professor of neurology at ABC Medical School, and senior research associate at the Albert Einstein Brain Research Institute, Brazil. has shown melatonin 3mg to be more effective than amitryptiline in modulating migraine.

In the gut the role of melatonin is in tissue reconstruction and repair. Low levels of chromafin cell released melatonin is associated with leaky gut.

The amount of melatonin to take seems to be an individual matter and needs some trial. Sub-lingual forms would be more effective requiring a lower dose but you can equally take a larger dose. Only a fraction gets through to the brain and this is why people vary in reports as to its effectiveness. However remember that it is not a sleeping pill. People with ME/CFS and many with FM are not synthesising enough melatonin so it is a useful adjunct to treatment.
  9. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

It didn't do squat for me as far as sleep. So far, it's the only condition that has totally eluded me with supplements and I have tried and tried. Hopefully you will have better luck. Also hope everything is going great and if you have any warm weather, send it up here!

Soft hugs,
    Stacey
  10. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Its a prolonged release tablet help get me through the night. I take it 2 hours before bedtime.

11. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

low dose melatonin alone does not do it, it's the other stuff I use with it FOR ME....my "cure" post is on alternatives board.

And now with Anatabloc going on 3 months, I'm even getting greater sleep....

Hanging in and hanging around...jam
  12. freida

freida Active Member

I am VERY appreciative,

for every single one of your posts and info,

on and off of the topic of melatonin, ;)

You each gave me more ideas, and explanations, that are important to me, and that I DO understand.

I will re-read them all,
    have copied some into my notes, so I can,
    even if any posts disappear or become hard for me to find. :)

Thank you, again.

I feel good about the explanations,

and I will use some of the ideas!

Leah

(Good to see each of you, also! :)

13. joanierav

joanierav Member

melatonin has worked for me, soon as i started it 10 yrs ago.

i use the 2.5 source naturals. sublinqual. they are orange flavored and delicious

however in the very beginning i started out with 1/2 of a 1 mg. and that worked for yrs. i am up to 2.5 mg now. sometimes two of them.

i also take lunesta and lorazapam. but i need the melatonin to fall asleep.

ive never had any side effects from the melatonin. and i do get loads of side effects from meds. supplements, vitamins, herbs as well.

good luck leah. im sure you will like the melatonin. just start with the smallest dose. smaller seems to work better with melatonin. and they say to take it when its just starting to get dark outside, but that never worked for me. i take mine right when i go to bed at 11.00pm.

hugs, joanierav

14. SherylS

SherylS Member

Mary,
    I just started taking the seriphos but haven't noticed much difference yet. Do you remember how long it took before you had some improvement in your sleep? My insomnia is off the charts right now. And yes, my cortisol is high at night
  15. freida

freida Active Member

I have considered trying that too,

my cortisol is low in morning and daytime,
    when it should be higher,
    and then up evening and night, disturbing sleep, no doubt. I did have the 24 hour saliva test.

So do you take the Seriphos , in early evening, Mary, and others???
    What time of day and how much?

Sheryl's question about the Seriphos would be helpful also.

And joanie, thanks to you, and each one of you others!

Thanks, all!

Leah
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2013]
  16. mbofov

mbofov Member

I found it was very important to take the Seriphos in the morning. I was told to take it at night but that did nothing for me, and I switched to the morning and it was helpful almost immediately. Even though my cortisol was high at night, it was important to take the Seriphos in the morning.

Also, it was very important to take enough. I ended up having to take 8 capsules a day for I think a couple of months. I would take 4 when I first got up on an empty stomach, and then 4 mid- or late morning, also on an empty stomach. As I recall, it took some trial and error to get the correct dose.

So if you're not taking enough, or you're taking it in the evening, both of those could affect how it works.

I read an article once which stated that it mimics the cortisol curve when taken in the morning, pre-breakfast, and pre-lunch - take it at least 15 minutes before eating. I usually took it at least half an hour before eating.

After some months (I forget how long), I found myself getting extra tired and finally realized my cortisol levels were dropping, normalizing and I was able to cut my dose. But it took awhile to get there. And I did feel calmer and less edgy within a couple of days. It worked quickly for me.

Good luck - I hope this helps!

Mary
  17. luigi21

luigi21 Member

I was determined to get in touch hence the amount, i was up till 3am. Its 11.32pm and Maddie and i have just watched a Children with Tourettes documentary both sitting here blubbering our eyes out like the pair of plums we are. Im suppose to be cheering her up.

Bad time of year for her so i said she could come down and enjoy my "wonderful" company in exchange for being my eyes and balance. Not sure she got the better end of the deal!!
    You should see two people with fatigue manually pumping up an airbed!

Im on different tablets but their not working, been over 4 weeks now might just go and sit up A + E. The tablets are to treat my balance and accompanying nausea.

My cousin turned up today with her 5 month belly. Its a boy!
    I was still in my dressing gown at 2 in the afternoon. No point getting dressed when you cant go out, why make more washing?
    I was ashamed though, but she didnt care. She said she'll pop down over easter holidays which would be helpful.

Just wanted to say i hope you dont stress about whats happened. Ive worked through my emotions cant afford to harbour negative feelings i have to move on. All i care about is that you are ok, that i wanted to let you know i enjoyed your company, i like you, and that im not disingenuous, loyalty is very important to me.
    I hope everyones ok on the board.
    I better go because this is no good for my dizzys and its late, and my melatonin kicked in about half hour ago so im battling to stay awake, i take mine 2 hours before i go to bed, we can only get it on prescription here.
    It will officially be british summertime here at weekend, someone should tell the weather that as its 3 degrees centigrade! Summer dresses wont be out any time soon. Clocks go forward. The only species that know its a change of season are the male foxes calling to the ladies all night!
    Just wanted to acknowledge that im glad you can understand now, (sort of), its not your problem Leah so dont take it on, ok? I have to believe that predominantly people are good, there are some real nice people on these boards.

Take care of you,

katherine x
  18. freida

freida Active Member

About the Seriphos, Mary,
    I am still a little confused if my situation is enough different from yours,
    that maybe when I do try it,
    I should perhaps try it differently from you,
    or maybe not.

I have extreme cfids and have hours of trouble waking up fully, in mornings, though I am not sleeping then. Nor am I edgy and agitated, I am too sick and groggy then. Can't operate my thoughts or body normally.
    In evening, even though I am thoroughly sick and exhausted and overdone, and weary and paining,
    my brain starts sort of waking up and actively going (in circles mostly)
    and I don't/cannot transition to sleeping, no matter how sick or exhausted.
    And during the night, I struggle many times to try to get back to sleep or stay asleep.

With that info, do you think I would try Seriphos the same ways you did?
    Or is my situation and symptoms too different from yours,
    and maybe it would work better for me if taken later in the day?
    What do yu think?
    I know you can't know, and I will have to try it myself.
    But your guess would be welcome, since you have expereinced trying the Seriphos, and I have not.

I do take small amounts of 5htp and theonine and taurine, and sometimes a tiny bit of klon. NO trouble with those, and they help a bit, some nights. I'm planning on adding glycine and melatonin, I think.

In the mornings and mid-day, I actually take things to try to help me to become a little alert and function, such as metheonine and tyrosine.

Any other suggestions, Mary or others of you?

And katherine, yes, now I do understand a lot more, and am glad for the explanations, since it does always help my anxieties to have more info.
    Also, I actually was significantly worried for you, for what happenned to you, at first, as I imagined much worse possibilites than what happenned. Even though what did happen is sad, it is not AS bad as my fears were. I'm sad about it all, and wish it had gone differently, for you and for all of us, but I'm okay, and better off, knowing some of what happenned. I don't need to know everything, of course, and I'm doing okay with it now. Still feel regret at what transpired, but okay. Not happy with it, but okay. ;)

I'm glad to know that you are okay!
    That mattered to me. And nice that yu wanted me to not feel so upset.

Now I Will have to wait and see what the future brings.

Good info, too, that you take melatonin 2 hours before bedtime.

take care,
    Leah

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2013]
  19. SherylS

SherylS Member

It seems to be working for me. I have been taking the seriphos about 6PM, 15 minutes before my last meal. By 8:30, I start to get very relaxed. Just do a little reading and then falling asleep. I also take 1mg melatonin and 25mg amitriptyline at about 7:30. I was taking Klon before but have figured out it was worsening my insomnia. I know it works for some people, but after some research I see there other people that also had insomnia from it. We just never know; so much trial and error. Of course, if you go off Klon, make sure it is a slow taper
  20. freida

freida Active Member

Thanks for that input, Sheryl,
    and so you are seeing a difference now?
    that is great. :)

And I'm glad to hear your details on it.

Thanks for the other input,
    I did go off of the kl altogether for a while,
    I was able to wean and go off of it,
    so I could see if it was causing any of my other problems.

Now I take only a tiny bit, when my RLS or creepy-crawly sensations or brain/body vibration is disrupting my sleep too much.

Thanks for all the input!

Let me know, I would love to know if that Seriphos keeps helping you, and I hope it does!

Leah