Melatonin question, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by freida, Mar 27, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Member

Yeah, I guess your situation is different than mine was. It sounds like you have low cortisol in the morning and high at night and I know mine wasn't that low in the morning. A friend of mine had the same trouble with waking up in the a.m. and she had low a.m. cortisol.

So maybe you would be better off taking Seriphos at night like Sheryl. I guess you will just have to experiment. I'm glad to hear it's helping her taking it in the evening. It just didn't work for me at all doing it that way, but we are all different.

By the way, do you take magnesium? I have read that RSL can be linked to low magnesium levels. Magnesium is also required for good sleep. Many of us are deficient in it. I've read the best forms to take are mag glycinate or mag citrate. My doctor says it's okay to take up to bowel tolerance (too much will loosen stools but nothing dangerous)

Mary
  2. freida

freida Active Member

Thanks, Mary,
    for the answer,
    plus your comments on the other thread, too.

And yes, I do take mag, those types, and I assume they are good for me, but I don't see any obvious help from them, with sleep or anything.

Thanks always, Mary! :)

Leah
  3. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Has anyone experienced any downsides to taking Melatonin ?

Also those of you who take Melatonin, which do you find works best for quality sleep - a low dose of sublingual Melatonin or a slow release Melatonin ?

Also do you feel better during the day as a result of taking Melatonin ?
  4. freida

freida Active Member

I'd lke to hear the answers , too.

Especially to yur last question.

Thanks for adding to the thread, LCarol.

Leah
  5. freida

freida Active Member

Sheryl,
    is the Seriphos continuing to be helpful for you?
    Have you changed your dose at all?
    How many caps do you take?

Also, I'm still wondering about the question asked earlier on this post string,

do people who take melatonin, in evenings,

find it helps them to feel better during the next day?

MARY,
    do you still take the lessened dose of Seriphos,
    you switched to as you explained,
    or did you eventually lower it even more, or not need it at all?
    And I assume you take, or took, it with the other sleep aids we have already discussed, right?

Not at the same time , but in the same 24-hour cycle, right?
    No bad effect from my trying it added to what I've been taking, is what I mean, right? No conflict with theonine or 5-htp.?

I got my first Seriphos order, and am looking forward to trying it. :)

I'm going to try it, before trying the melatonin and/or the glycine,
    which I also ordered,
    so I can start one new thing at a time,
    as I always do if possible.

Thanks, everyone reading!

Leah

[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2013]
  6. SherylS

SherylS Member

The seriphos worked the first few nights.. I was only taking 1/2 a capsule because I over-react to things so always start low and slow. And I was taking it along with my other sleep products. It doesn't seem to be helping as much the last few nights, but not giving up on it yet. I am going to try taking it earlier in the day, probably mid-afternoon to see how that goes.
  7. freida

freida Active Member

Thanks for answering me, Sheryl!

(MARY, did you see my last questions above, for you?)

I had wondered how it was going for you, Sheryl, with the Seriphos, hoping for you to have continued benefits.

And also, I wondered on your input for me.

So I appreciate your reply post, for both reasons! :)

About it not working as well for you,now as it was,
    if you've determined that you didn't have negative effects,
    perhaps you could try increasing, very gradually?

Mary's earlier post said she had to start it, at a much higher dose, 6-8 caps,
    till it would work,
    then it regulated her,
    so she could lower the dose back down,
    once she could see it was making her tired too much,
    so she did not need as much of it.

I'm not suggesting you jump to 6-8 caps!
    I'm just offering that you might try going gradually higher, to see if it has more benefit for you.

I don't remember right now if you are taking any SCRIPT meds, particularly sleep ones, or OTC (over the counter) actual sleep meds.

If so, I'd be even more careful and gradual with increasing the Seriphos, but I might try it a little.
    Especially in place of actual sleep meds.

I myself am not taking any OTC or script sleep meds, and I take very little any script meds, which I could skip/drop, if the Seriphos, with or without my supplements, becomes enough for me to sleep better.

For me, I'm not planning on taking Seriphos earlier in the day,
    since I struggle to remain upright and alert, during the day (when my cortisol is already low)....

For me, I plan to take it only late in the day,
    (when my cortisol goes up and my aggitation increases and interferes with sleep)

and I plan to start with 1 cap,
    and if I don't react negatively,
    I will increase it gradually, till I get some effect, probably.
    Or till I get to whatever dose I feel comfortable with,
    and then continue that one for a while.

Just sharing ideas.
    I'm very glad for your input, Sheryl.
    Thanks for interacting with me about it!!

Leah

8. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

One reported side effect is increased depression however ive not been affected.

I have tried both i find with the slow release i dont wake so often.

If i am a bit late taking it in the evening i can feel a bit tired. However, I spent many years with insomnia which can leave you wide eyed, wired and not quite with it. when i take the melatonin i can feel it kicking in and its really hard to fight, thats what i was lacking before still up at 5am because my brain was still awake. Its nice to feel tired when i should.
    I then write my diary to deal with my feelings write my to do list, read my daily meditation book to focus my thoughts for the next day, i found this better than reading them on the day becsuse it was the precusor of stress the night before keeping me awake. I read The Language Of Letting Go. Then ive already prepared my heat pad or hot water bottle and wheat bags to warm my bed. And i go to bed.

I still ocassionally have nights of no sleep but not like before. I also find if i miss one night i feel more awake the next day so it must affect you a little bit, but i still tend to sleep the next night. Found this out when i ran out and needed another prescription. But by the fourth night i was back to the nightmare which is insomnia.

But yes definately improved my sleep.

Night night ;-)
  9. freida

freida Active Member

Thanks so much for your input and info, Ameile!

I read it all,
    and I will also look for that book title.

It makes sense to me that the Seriphos, if too much, could cause a depressant effect,
    which I surely can't handle, so I'll be all the more careful , with your reminder.

Thank you,
    and sweet dreams for you, I hope! :)

Leah

P.S. Yes, you are right, lack of sleep also adds to depression!
    As well as to misery, so we need to try to find the right balance. Calming enough to help our sleep, and not enough to feel depressed. It's like a tightrope balancing act. LOL

10. mbofov

mbofov Member

I didn't see your questions to me till just now. I'm now taking 2 capsules of Seriphos, I guess as a maintenance dose. My adrenals may always be weak and need some support. There have been times when I've gone off it altogether, I think I could actually get by without it right now. Anyways --

I've never had any bad interaction with the Seriphos or any of my other sleep remedies - no conflict at all with l-theanine or 5-htp or melatonin or anything. I did notice within a day or two of starting the seriphos that in addition to helping with sleep, I felt calmer, better able to deal with stress - it was very nice!

It is a good idea to try one new thing at a time! I've learned that the hard way:)

When I first took melatonin many years ago, I was pretty sensitive to it and it actually left me feeling a little hungover the next day so I had to cut my dose. So if you've never taken it, this might happen and you might have to tweak the dose. I now take 3 mg. at night and don't feel any different the next day but I believe it still helps with sleep.

Good luck with it all! Keep us posted -

Mary
  11. freida

freida Active Member

Thank you, Mary, and SHeryl, and Carol,
    and everyone of you others too,
    on this valuable info thread.

I've read it all, multiple times,
    and gotten numerous ideas from your ideas and info.

I started a new topic, to continue this discussion,

and to "warn" everyone,
    of the bad experience I had last night.

Just for your info.

I hope to see any of you on the next thread one,

that I titled, Seriphos,sleep,adrenal,melatonin, etc.

This one seems long,
    and I had important input to share, I felt.

So I started that new one.

Leah
  12. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

fyi- melatonin is also used in the alternative cancer clinic like oasis of hope-high dose at night 40 Mg. I've used as high as 20 mg at night -the pure encapsulation brand. I struggle with whether or not the high dose is good to take or not. There have been studes with cancer and melatonin as an adjuct treatment out of Italy with good results/better than chemo alone.
  13. alyssalyn

alyssalyn New Member

As far as I understand it, melatonin is produced from serotonin, and serotonin is produced by eating protein. Also, L-Glycine is an amino acid and amino acids are from protein.

I have found over many years that I start sleeping well and deeply when I eat adequate protein. Meat such as oven-roasted turkey, beef pot roast, peanuts (IF YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC), red lentils, eggs, and kidney beans are some of my top sleep well foods. Raw garlic and raw parsley have also deepened my sleep. These help with getting deep REM dreaming sleep.

I get problems when I try to take Melatonin in capsules as it only works for a short time.

I have other methods of sleeping well too because I have had sleep problems for longer than I care to admit. Eating adequate protein works like a charm.