Melatonin tablets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, Apr 23, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

can you overdose on this I know it sounds silly but seeing as it is a hormone how do you know your levels uness tested.
    Clertyx
  2. pat460

pat460 New Member

I hope you don't mind me replying since I don't know the answer to your question. But I wanted to ask if you are taking Melatonin? I started it 2 nights ago and it puts me out like a light. It's the first time I've slept through the night(only up once to potty)in years! But I'm still a little sleepy when I get up and wonder if 2mgs. would work better for me than 3mgs. Also, I noticed a little stomach discomfort last night when I got up to potty and wonder if it's going to make my stomach problems resurface? Are you just starting it? I'm curious to know how it works for you.
  3. clerty

clerty New Member

I have them but I have not used them a bit scared to be honest as I react with a ot of things due to MCS
    holly I just wondered as it said on the back of the bottle to watch out I might try a small amount tomorrow

Clertyx
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have FM. My Dr told me to take 4 5 mg tablets at bedtime and again if I awaken during the night. It makes me drowsy within 30 minutes and I don't have a hangover effect in the morning. I haven't had a problem with this dose.
  5. roge

roge Member

obviously everyone is different but many only need a fraction (0.3mg) and this according to supplement guru dr. shalian (sp?)

2mg would devestate me but i am very sensitive to meds and i suspect melatonin as well.

i have tried it a few times but it didnt do too much and in fact sort of made my sleep worse, way more dreams and i read melatonin can increase rem sleep.

have you considered tryptophan as it actually helps to manufacture our own seretonin and melatonin is synthesized from seretonin.

i liked the idea of time release melatonin and have experiemnted with that a few times but was very very groggy in the morning and even a little depressed and sure enough when I researched melatonin I read it can cause depression.

as the smallest pill is 2mg, and I take around 0.2mg of the time released, I am wondering if breaking the pill spoils the time release aspect? Initially I thought so but then i see Prohealth sells a time release and it is in capsule form, so i gather you dont need a protected tablet to get time release?

thx

peace
  6. roge

roge Member

did i read that correect.....you take 20mg of melatonin???

wow - that is a lot! I have never heard of anyone taking that much, i am glad it helps you though

just another example of how we all react differently, i can only tolerate 1/100th of your dose...

peace
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

That's right, 20 mg at bedtime. My Dr said that in time, my body will then produce more at night when I need it.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I don't know about an overdose for sure but we could overdose on anything, even water, if we ingested enough. Everyone has to find their own comfortable dose from what I hear. I have a friend who swears by it but it didn't do much for me.

When I tried it, frankly, I was a bit chicken about it since I have such weird reactions to things. I took 2 mgs. one night, then 4 (two tablets) the next night. Something was different but not enough, if that makes any sense.

I've been taking Restoril, though, so that may be why Melatonin did little. I was hoping it would be a substitute but no.

Marta